Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/7/2004 1:58:02 PM EDT
I am an old 35mm SLR fan and I am just now starting to get into digital cameras.
I have a lot of EOS SLR lenses and I am looking at an EOS body that is 6.3 Mega pixel.

what do they mean by power and is their a way to convert a lens length to a digital equivalent power rating?  Say 300mm = 10X at 6.3mp?

how do you compare apples to apples?

thanks
Link Posted: 9/7/2004 2:01:31 PM EDT
[#1]
Hi.

I own an EOS 10D, (Great body, by the way)

A 35 mm film negative is measured diagonally, and 35 mm is about 1.3 inches diagonal, right?

The image sensor in digital cameras is quite a bit smaller than that.  The one in the EOS 10D is 60% smaller in area.

The net result is two fold:

One:  Your lens focal length is magnified (if it was 200mm, it is now more like 333mm)
Two:  Your old lens distortion at the edges is gone (the sensor is in the 'sweet' spot)
Link Posted: 9/7/2004 2:03:49 PM EDT
[#2]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top