Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/7/2004 8:29:29 AM EDT
Why the hell does DTE need a SS number to cancel electricity service?  I sure as hell didn't give them my SS number to start it.

I hate being asked for a SS number when ordering utility services.

I also hate the entire concept of SS and having a frigging number assigned to me.

It should be J_ H_ of 13___ _Road_ City, State
Link Posted: 9/7/2004 8:45:55 AM EDT
[#1]

Seriously, tell them "I didn't give you one to start the service, why should I give you one to stop it?" and see what the script monkey has to say about that one.
Link Posted: 9/7/2004 8:48:31 AM EDT
[#2]
Just "accidentally" transpose the digits of your number.  Problem solved.  They reason they want it is so they can track down your financial record and stick it to your credit report if they decide you didn't pay them enough.
Link Posted: 9/7/2004 8:49:42 AM EDT
[#3]
I did.

The script monkey said "I see that.  If you would prefer not to give the number over the phone you can give the number at our local office."

So I got directions to the office, and will probably have to argue with them there.  Maybe there is a chance that they will accept a DL with photo as proof that I really was the person who paid the bills and no longer lives there.

Grr
Link Posted: 9/7/2004 8:52:21 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
Just "accidentally" transpose the digits of your number.  Problem solved.  They reason they want it is so they can track down your financial record and stick it to your credit report if they decide you didn't pay them enough.

This makes sense - just a plain jane DL number should be enough to verify it really is me turning off the service.

Assholes.

Maybe I'll try that next time I have to order a utility. Or I'll tell them I don't have one.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top