Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 9/7/2004 8:20:12 AM EDT
They just got rolling and they're planning out what they will tackle and in what order. Daschle is talking now and I'm hearing about appropriations bills and homeland security. Nothing about the AWB so far...

(I know, AG,NTSA but I can't help but watch. I'm cautiously optimistic).
Link Posted: 9/7/2004 8:23:19 AM EDT
[#1]
Thanks I am keeping an eye on it too.

Here is the live video feed www.c-span.org/watch/cspan2_wm.asp?Cat=TV&Code=CS2
Link Posted: 9/7/2004 8:28:22 AM EDT
[#2]
ah. I miss that couple of days where i did no work and just watched c-span on my computer and posted on arfcom.

to bad i gotta go to class here pretty soon.
Link Posted: 9/7/2004 8:28:46 AM EDT
[#3]
CSpan 2 today, right?  It's going to be a long 4 day week, but hopefully a good week.
Link Posted: 9/7/2004 8:30:19 AM EDT
[#4]
Keep us updated on this post if you will, please.

Tagged
Link Posted: 9/7/2004 8:33:28 AM EDT
[#5]
Trent Lott is talking now. Mainly about the 9/11 commission report, and how we should adjust our intelligence organizations as a result.
Link Posted: 9/7/2004 8:35:20 AM EDT
[#6]
Senate schedule for today.

republican.senate.gov/index.cfm?FuseAction=Home.Day&EventDate=09/07/04

"Floor Calendar for Tuesday, September 7, 2004     Nominations     The Senate will convene at 12:00pm for a period of morning business until the hour of 5:00pm. Following morning business, the Senate will proceed to executive session to consider en bloc calendar #'s 791, 792; the nominations of Virginia Covington and Michael Schneider. At 5:30pm the Senate will vote on the nominations and then will turn to consideration of executive calendar # 787, Michael Watson.

Looks like legislative buisness will take place until 5:00.

BTW, the calender # for the AWB is 545.
Link Posted: 9/7/2004 9:03:40 AM EDT
[#7]
Some fireworks to report already:

The Dems are refusing to let the engergy bill go forward.   They're essentially filibustering it because they want to add to it, and there was mention of "and we all know why" or something to that effect to DeConcinni.  

Frist is now talking about the problems with "issues from the campaign"

Frist is laying things out.  Speaking to "whole range of issues in conference or which 'will soon' be in conference.

Link Posted: 9/7/2004 9:06:48 AM EDT
[#8]
Frist says, today:  "Top priority is to address the events in Florida."

Quick passage in the Senate of a Florida relief bill.

This could be bad.

Link Posted: 9/7/2004 9:10:38 AM EDT
[#9]
tagged
Link Posted: 9/7/2004 9:10:44 AM EDT
[#10]
Dem:   Talking about getting around disaster aid limitation under a unanmous consent for homeland security.

Issue:   Republicans are trying to get a unamous consent agreement limiting amendments to homeland security bill (i.e., block AWB and other pet projects).   BUT, Democrats are saying that if Florida money is to be added to that bill, then they want to "add to it as well."

JEZUM Crow folks, LIGHT UP THOSE FUCKING PHONES!
Link Posted: 9/7/2004 9:12:57 AM EDT
[#11]
Frist now talking about Homeland Security appropriations bill.

Talking about 4 weeks of work (nice, AWBAN not implicated there).   If an AWBan amendment is added to that bill at that point, then we'd have a short period of reprieve.

Frist:  Now talking about Russian school tragedy.

Link Posted: 9/7/2004 9:14:36 AM EDT
[#12]
Tagged

Keep up the updates, and thanks!
Link Posted: 9/7/2004 9:14:47 AM EDT
[#13]
To address issues of homeland security responsibility:   Need to strengthen homeland security, address intelligence, fill vacancy at CIA.

Three key objectives.  

Talking about efforts in the past to "bog down" the HS bill with amendments.   Saying he doesn't want a bunch of pet projects landing on that.     He just said "amend appropriately, but responsibly"

Link Posted: 9/7/2004 9:15:06 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
Frist now talking about Homeland Security appropriations bill.

Talking about 4 weeks of work (nice, AWBAN not implicated there).   If an AWBan amendment is added to that bill at that point, then we'd have a short period of reprieve.

Frist:  Now talking about Russian school tragedy.

Renewal can't be passed after 9/13.
Link Posted: 9/7/2004 9:18:14 AM EDT
[#15]
Now talking about 9-11 commission report and need for reforms.

STATUS POINT:    Looks like HS bill could be a vehicle for AWBan update, but if so it wouldn't be before expiration so we would get intersting but brief reprieve.

Florida aid bill:  ALso a possibility.    I've already got a talking point we should spread far and wide if they try to tack AWBan onto the Florida relief bill:   "The Senate is holding up aid to the people of Florida in order to ban the weapons many Floridans are using to defendn themselves and their property in the wake of the storm."  

We'll know what's up soon.  I've got a call into Feinstein's office trying to get a heads up (I'm a registered Democrat in Colorado and I KNOW they check me out on the Democratic voter registration rolls when I call -- talk about a MOLE! ).

Link Posted: 9/7/2004 9:20:03 AM EDT
[#16]
Thank you for the updates - this is really great.
Link Posted: 9/7/2004 9:20:14 AM EDT
[#17]

Sure it can.

They just strike and amend the original sunset clause.   Even a sunset bill stays "on the books."   I can dig into it if you want, but Congress has "revived" a sunset law after teh fact with a tiny technical amendment on many an occasion.

What would happen is that there would be a period after 9/13 and before the effective date of the new bill where the law is on the books but sunset, and then the new law would take effect.  People couldn't be prosecuted for conduct during the interim period.  

Link Posted: 9/7/2004 9:23:17 AM EDT
[#18]
Edited to just say shit I'm geting antsy.
Link Posted: 9/7/2004 9:27:13 AM EDT
[#19]
Frist "switching gears" talking about taxpayer relief.   Talking about tax provisions set to exprire.  Wants to work toward renewing these provisions.

I'm not getting into the debate over whether it is possible to renew the bill after 9/13.   My recollection si that it is possible to strike sunset clauses after sunset, which has the effect of renewing the legislation.   In any event, if they have the votes after 9/13 to strike the sunset clause, then they'd have the votes post 9/13 to pass an entire new bill anyway.  

Frist:  Now talking about judicial confirmations at 5:30 senate time.
Link Posted: 9/7/2004 9:31:54 AM EDT
[#20]
Frist now offering well wishes to Clinton, and discussing security at the Senate.  

After Frist finishes speaking we may hear from the Dems.  

Link Posted: 9/7/2004 9:33:51 AM EDT
[#21]
Now Nelson (D) Florida is up.
Link Posted: 9/7/2004 9:34:04 AM EDT
[#22]
If anything on the AWB is going to happen, it will be late at night when C-SPAN isn't showing it.

These people are like cockroaches.  You won't see them shitting on your floor when a light is shining on 'em.
Link Posted: 9/7/2004 9:35:15 AM EDT
[#23]
I think CSPAN-2 shows them as long as they are in session? I remember back in March watching it late into the night.
Link Posted: 9/7/2004 9:39:45 AM EDT
[#24]
Nelson going on and on re:  Hurrican winds.

Off to lunch.  Updates will continue this afternoon.
Link Posted: 9/7/2004 9:43:47 AM EDT
[#25]
Was there a roll call?  How many of our beloved congress-critters are in attendance?
Link Posted: 9/7/2004 9:57:07 AM EDT
[#26]
Here COMES Barbara BOXER.

She's "spent the entire time traveling" in her state, talking about "protecting the American people."

"How much we get done is up to us."

Talking about bills that "will make us safe."

Says "lots of work necessary on Homeland security."

Wants to send well-wishes to Clinton.

Now she's going to segway into Heart Disease stuff.  "Women's cardiovascular disease prevention act."

Link Posted: 9/7/2004 10:02:57 AM EDT
[#27]
Boxer is now reading names of California dead from Iraq theatre.

Geez.   While she jerks the tears, the clock is ticking.
Link Posted: 9/7/2004 10:22:34 AM EDT
[#28]
GEEZ...   Reed, Harkin and Boxer are having a three-way "why are we at war," and whatnot type of discussion.

Amazingly, Harking just said that becuase of the battlefield medical advances, we're saving a lot more boys, but they're more severely injured.

(Well, duh, but they're not dead).

Its like a campaign commercial for Kerry.
Link Posted: 9/7/2004 10:32:51 AM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:
Now she's going to segway into Heart Disease stuff.  "Women's cardiovascular disease prevention act."

Yes, let's OUTLAW cardiovascular disease.  That'll teach it.
Link Posted: 9/7/2004 10:36:10 AM EDT
[#30]
The Kerry talking points must be to try and paint GWB as GHWB.   They keep compalining that Bush said he was going to "stay the course" in the war on terror.

"stay the course"

"stay the course."

(I'm reminded of the old Dana Carvey routine on SNL "Stay the course, a thousand points of light.")

Sickening.  
Link Posted: 9/7/2004 10:39:24 AM EDT
[#31]
All I hear Boxer and Harkins doing is campaigning for Kerry. Go ahead, by all means waste all the time they have. Time is on OUR side right now and the clock is ticking. All the dim-o-craps are doing is jacking each other off!
Link Posted: 9/7/2004 10:45:46 AM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

This could be bad.

Spending bills are under stricter limitations than normal bills proposed in the Senate. Proposed amendments must be germane to spending and the Senate Majority leader can kill them outright if they are not. Overriding the Majority Leader's decision takes 60 votes.
Link Posted: 9/7/2004 10:48:18 AM EDT
[#33]
McCain is up.

He just did some "unimous consent for a committe to meet" thing, but did not identify the committe or its business.  

Now talking about 911 commission.
Link Posted: 9/7/2004 10:49:51 AM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

Quoted:

This could be bad.

Spending bills are under stricter limitations than normal bills proposed in the Senate. Proposed amendments must be germane to spending and the Senate Majority leader can kill them outright if they are not. Overriding the Majority Leader's decision takes 60 votes.

See this thread:   www.jobrelatedstuff.com/forums/topic.html?b=1&f=5&t=271702
Link Posted: 9/7/2004 10:50:50 AM EDT
[#35]
Tagged for when I get home tonight.
Link Posted: 9/7/2004 10:52:53 AM EDT
[#36]
Man......
Link Posted: 9/7/2004 10:56:23 AM EDT
[#37]
Doing a great job Gonzo, thank you.
Link Posted: 9/7/2004 10:57:21 AM EDT
[#38]
Leiberman now up, introduced 911 commission report implementation act.

"Commission's reccomendations should be our starting point."  ("And our ending point as well").

Link Posted: 9/7/2004 11:06:03 AM EDT
[#39]
Arlen  Spector up now, talking about 911 commission report implementation act.
Link Posted: 9/7/2004 11:13:09 AM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:
Arlen  Spector up now, talking about 911 commission report implementation act.

Member...this is on CSpan-2..... listening....

Link Posted: 9/7/2004 11:24:20 AM EDT
[#41]
FYI...

I know most of these updates have nothing to do with the AWBan.   I'm posting them, however, just for the benefit of those who cannot listen / watch and who might be worried about what's up or what's not up, as the case may be.

BTW:  In a Quorum Call right now.
Link Posted: 9/7/2004 11:40:27 AM EDT
[#42]
Domninici (R) up now chiding the Democrats for holding the energy bill hostage.

(Hostage to what, I wonder????).

Link Posted: 9/7/2004 11:42:22 AM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:
FYI...

I know most of these updates have nothing to do with the AWBan.   I'm posting them, however, just for the benefit of those who cannot listen / watch and who might be worried about what's up or what's not up, as the case may be.

That would be me.  
Link Posted: 9/7/2004 11:45:24 AM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:
See this thread:   www.jobrelatedstuff.com/forums/topic.html?b=1&f=5&t=271702

She can try; but there are good reasons it is likely to fail. Here are two of them:

thomas.loc.gov/home/lawsmade.bysec/consideration.html

The rules of the House prohibit amendments of a subject matter different from the text under consideration. This rule, commonly known as the germaneness rule, is considered the single most important rule of the House of Representatives because of the obvious need to keep the focus of a body the size of the House on a predictable subject matter. The germaneness rule applies to the proceedings in the House, the Committee of the Whole, and the standing committees. There are hundreds of prior rulings or "precedents" on germaneness available to guide the Chair.

A general appropriation bill may not be considered in the House until three calendar days (excluding Saturdays, Sundays, and legal holidays unless the House is in session on those days) after printed committee reports and hearings on the bill have been available to the Members. The limit on general debate on such a bill is generally fixed by a rule reported from the Committee on Rules.

She can certainly try to amend the bill; but the probability of success is very, very low. I'm not saying we don't need to call this week and make our voice heard - I just want people to adequately assess the risk. The antis will not be giving up anytime soon, even if they fail this week; but the chances that they are going to fail this week are 99%.
Link Posted: 9/7/2004 11:48:30 AM EDT
[#45]
Dominici:

Now talking about the kind of amendments the people are saying they want to offer to the energy bill.   Says he'd be willing to accept 10 amendments per side.   No mention by him of whether they'd have to be germaine.  

You guys in NEW MEXICO get on the line.   Tell Dominici that you appreciate all he's doing for energy protection, but tell him NOT to let the Democrats hold his bill hostage for an unconstituional extension of the AWBan.
Link Posted: 9/7/2004 12:49:40 PM EDT
[#46]
Any news?
Link Posted: 9/7/2004 12:50:47 PM EDT
[#47]
They took a long Quorum Call.

John Kyl is on now, talking about assessing the threat of terrorism.
Link Posted: 9/7/2004 1:06:15 PM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:

Sure it can.

They just strike and amend the original sunset clause.   Even a sunset bill stays "on the books."   I can dig into it if you want, but Congress has "revived" a sunset law after teh fact with a tiny technical amendment on many an occasion.

What would happen is that there would be a period after 9/13 and before the effective date of the new bill where the law is on the books but sunset, and then the new law would take effect.  People couldn't be prosecuted for conduct during the interim period.  

So then what's the big deal over the 9/13 date?  If they can just slip an ammendment in anytime to change the date in the original statute and no other language changes how do we get to keep what we bought on 9/14?  There will be no text authorizing that.  If they can just pass an extension after the sunset I can't see why we are getting all excited here.

That kinda irritates me if that's true.
Link Posted: 9/7/2004 1:20:27 PM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Sure it can.

So then what's the big deal over the 9/13 date?  If they can just slip an ammendment in anytime to change the date in the original statute and no other language changes how do we get to keep what we bought on 9/14?  There will be no text authorizing that.  If they can just pass an extension after the sunset I can't see why we are getting all excited here.

That kinda irritates me if that's true.

The big deal is that any time period between the 13th, when the enactment sunsets, and the date they effectively amend it to reinstate the ban would be decriminalized.  So long as you could prove you bought or modified your weapons during that time, you would be immune from prosecution becuase the legislative history would reflect that the statute was not in effect and bindng at that time.
Link Posted: 9/7/2004 1:48:13 PM EDT
[#50]
Update.  Roll call vote on the first district judge nominee -- nothing AWB related happening.

BoB
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top