Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/5/2004 6:57:02 PM EDT
I am covered from head to toe in mosquito bites and it's driving me crazy.  I haven't head to deal with these since I was 14, but I guess my blood was pretty tasty the other night.  I'm using Cortizone but it's not helping and I'm going insane from the itchiness.  Any suggestions?  It would be greatly appreciated.
Link Posted: 9/5/2004 6:58:37 PM EDT
[#1]
Benadryl ointment is what I use, I swell like a mother from mosquito bites. I easily get quarter sized welts from bites
Link Posted: 9/5/2004 7:01:27 PM EDT
[#2]
I am Sniper Wolfe's younger brother. I asked my gma and she said to use benadryl cream and to dab them with clorox bleach. She also said that it would be a good idea to go to the doctor and get some internal meds.
I'm glad it's not me though. Wolfe
Link Posted: 9/5/2004 7:02:11 PM EDT
[#3]
Next time try eating some Tabasco sauce before going out. I saw a commercial once and the mosquitoes exploded after sucking blood from a Tabasco laced guy...
Link Posted: 9/5/2004 7:02:48 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
Next time try eating some Tabasco sauce before going out. I saw a commercial once and the mosquitoes exploded after sucking blood from a Tabasco laced guy...

I saw that commercial
Link Posted: 9/5/2004 7:03:53 PM EDT
[#5]
Vagasil has stronger anti-itch medicine.
Link Posted: 9/5/2004 7:05:05 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 9/5/2004 7:05:17 PM EDT
[#7]
You can take an antihistamine like Benedryl too. My wife get's welts the size of a base ball when a skeeder bites her. I get a welt about like a nickel and it doesn't bother me all that much.  You can also try soaking in a hot tub with Epsom Salts, that may take the "itch" out a bit.
Link Posted: 9/5/2004 7:06:07 PM EDT
[#8]
My advice - don't move to Scandinavia    

The mosquitos there are freakin' monsters!!  
Link Posted: 9/5/2004 7:06:17 PM EDT
[#9]
believe it or not,  a couple of advil,  combined with the topical anti-histamine stuff you are using works really well.

actually I don't know if cortizone is anti-histamine or not so just do this;

Take two advil, every four hours.  Get either benadryl spray or ointment and put them on the bites.  You will have relief.  It won't be total but it'll be good enough you can forget about them. They might itch a tiny bit but it's not really noticeable.

Trust me on this one,  I'm a veritable smorgasborg for the little bastards.  When I walk outside they call their friends and relatives from other counties. I'm a traveling mosquito buffet!   And with as many square inches of skin as I have, you just can't slap them fast enough.

I'm personally keepin the makers of DEET afloat.  
Link Posted: 9/5/2004 7:08:27 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
believe it or not,  a couple of advil,  combined with the topical anti-histamine stuff you are using works really well.

actually I don't know if cortizone is anti-histamine or not so just do this;

Take two advil, every four hours.  Get either benadryl spray or ointment and put them on the bites.  You will have relief.  It won't be total but it'll be good enough you can forget about them. They might itch a tiny bit but it's not really noticeable.

Trust me on this one,  I'm a veritable smorgasborg for the little bastards.  When I walk outside they call their friends and relatives from other counties. I'm a traveling mosquito buffet!   And with as many square inches of skin as I have, you just can't slap them fast enough.

I'm personally keepin the makers of DEET afloat.  

Apparently I am too.  The thing is, I wasn't even in the woods or anywhere humid, I was in San Francisco.  When we woke up the next morning the boyfriend slapped a mosquito that had just been fed and said "this fucker bit one of us."  Yeah, that fucker did, and about 23 others.

Good suggestions, I'll try them.
Link Posted: 9/5/2004 7:08:59 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Hah! Louisiana mosquitoes have been known to have their way with ducks and chickens.
Link Posted: 9/5/2004 7:10:06 PM EDT
[#12]
That sucks. But not as bad as when I get a bug bite it swells up to about the size of a quarter or bigger.
Link Posted: 9/5/2004 7:12:06 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Hah! Louisiana mosquitoes have been known to have their way with ducks and chickens.

A guy was driving his motorcycle home through the forest in Sweden, when suddenly two mosquitos swooped down from the trees and knocked him off the bike.

"Should we eat him here, or drag him down to the lake and eat him there?" asked the one mosquito of the other.

"Let's eat him here" replied the other mosquito.  "If we take him down to the lake, the big mosquitos are going to steal him from us"

Link Posted: 9/5/2004 7:12:52 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
That sucks. But not as bad as when I get a bug bite it swells up to about the size of a quarter or bigger.

Mine are nickel-sized.  People in church today were looking at me like I was a freakin leper.
Link Posted: 9/5/2004 7:14:37 PM EDT
[#15]
For over the counter meds--oral benadryl is about as good as it gets. It will make you sleepy so be careful if you take it but that will probably work out well.

Hot water is usually a bad idea.

cortisone cream, benadryl cream or caladryl lotion, Aveeno lotion, etc.

Remember to watch for signs of infection or encephalitis.

Link Posted: 9/5/2004 7:16:12 PM EDT
[#16]
I always seem to get bit on my knuckles or feet. The other morning I woke up with one on the bottom of my foot in the arch!  
Link Posted: 9/5/2004 7:22:30 PM EDT
[#17]
i fricken hate mosquitoes. Wisconsin has some huge fricken skeeters. But let me tell ya, they're nothing compared to sand flies. Jsut the thought makes me shutter.
Link Posted: 9/5/2004 7:24:47 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
I always seem to get bit on my knuckles or feet. The other morning I woke up with one on the bottom of my foot in the arch!  

For me it's on my ankles - for some odd reason.

Once, in the army in Denmark, on an exercise, I was in an observation post overnight - and because of the mosquitos (and the cold weather) my body was completely covered, with gloves, etc - and I was wearing a balaclava - so the only exposed skin was the area right around my eyes (from right above my eyebrows, to the top of my cheekbones.

I think I got about sixty or seventy bites that night - just in that tiny area around my eyes!  I killed over forty of them, while they were sucking my blood - by pinching them between my fingers (I could make noise by smacking them).

It was freakin' HORRIBLE.  
Link Posted: 9/5/2004 7:29:43 PM EDT
[#19]
My 5 year old has bites also . We use Benadryl and that seems to work pretty well. Hope you find something that helps,man. I hate mos-bites! take care. Coondog
Link Posted: 9/5/2004 7:42:41 PM EDT
[#20]
Ok.....I'm gonna say this once........anyone who gets a mosquito bite that swells to a quarter size and thinks it is something big........you don't know how good you have it!

Quarter size is small for me. Average size of a mosquito bite for me within half an hour after bite is anywhere from quarter-sized to beyond silver dollar sized. On one trip to europe I had several bits on my arms, each measuring between 3-5 inches across. One time during another trip I had one on my thigh that measured nearly 10 inches across (the majority of the right side of the thigh was inflamed) and required a trip to the doctor.
Link Posted: 9/5/2004 7:52:47 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Or michigan,

We get those really big stratgic bomber sized canuk skeeters up here. It also so happens that the Mosquito is our state bird.

But seriously start poping garlic pills or eating more spicy foods.  

Sombody smart figgured out your diet has a lot to do with how bad the skeeters get you.
Its worked very well for me.

I can stand out in the woods for quite a while and not get bit ( i love spicy foods).
While my nephue that tends to eat  bland spiceless foods(burgers, fries etc) gets mauled the second he goes out.
Link Posted: 9/5/2004 7:54:32 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

A guy was driving his motorcycle home through the forest in Sweden, when suddenly two mosquitos swooped down from the trees and knocked him off the bike.

"Should we eat him here, or drag him down to the lake and eat him there?" asked the one mosquito of the other.

"Let's eat him here" replied the other mosquito.  "If we take him down to the lake, the big mosquitos are going to steal him from us"

Link Posted: 9/5/2004 7:55:00 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:
Ok.....I'm gonna say this once........anyone who gets a mosquito bite that swells to a quarter size and thinks it is something big........you don't know how good you have it!

Quarter size is small for me. Average size of a mosquito bite for me within half an hour after bite is anywhere from quarter-sized to beyond silver dollar sized. On one trip to europe I had several bits on my arms, each measuring between 3-5 inches across. One time during another trip I had one on my thigh that measured nearly 10 inches across (the majority of the right side of the thigh was inflamed) and required a trip to the doctor.

That sounds as bad as my wife gets when she gets bit. I think if she'd get bitten several times I'd probably have to take her to the hospital. Her bit sites get anywhere from the size of a baseball to a softball and they itch so badly that she can't even sleep at night. The only thing that helps is oral Benedryl and anti-itch cream. Of course where I get a nickel size bit if I even look at poision Ivy I break out. That stuff tears me up.
Link Posted: 9/5/2004 8:02:14 PM EDT
[#24]
I don't know if this'll help much, but I found out the last time I got a nice sunburn that itchiness is all in your head. Especially with sunburn, it's like a chain reaction. You itch a bit, but you can't scratch it because that hurts even worse, so you just dwell on how much it itches, and it starts itching more and more in more and more places and before long, you start going nuts. The only way out is to ignore it and think about something else. Deliberately not thinking about something is one of the harder things to do, but if you can manage it, the itch just goes away. Try composing a long post on a tricky subject, or solving a problem, or having a conversation with someone.

FWIW, the mosquitoes don't seem to bother me much here in FL.
Link Posted: 9/5/2004 8:08:18 PM EDT
[#25]
Benadryl and cortizone should cure it. Bleach is for chiggers.
Link Posted: 9/5/2004 8:20:27 PM EDT
[#26]
Baking soda + water = paste    cover the bites with this they will stop itching
Link Posted: 9/5/2004 8:30:38 PM EDT
[#27]
I use topical Benadryl and a snakebite kit.  I've found that if I can suck (or squeeze in a pinch) most of the gunk out of a skeeter bite, it doesn't itch for so friggin long.. Maybe a day or two instead of a week at a stretch.  Normally I get a few drops of clear fluid out, and then a little blood.  Once the blood starts, I stop and toss on a little rubbing alcohol (YEEOW!) to prevent infection.  Hey, maybe it's all in my head, but it definitely seems to help significantly.
Link Posted: 9/5/2004 8:43:34 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:
I use topical Benadryl and a snakebite kit.  I've found that if I can suck (or squeeze in a pinch) most of the gunk out of a skeeter bite, it doesn't itch for so friggin long.. Maybe a day or two instead of a week at a stretch.  Normally I get a few drops of clear fluid out, and then a little blood.  Once the blood starts, I stop and toss on a little rubbing alcohol (YEEOW!) to prevent infection.  Hey, maybe it's all in my head, but it definitely seems to help significantly.

In that case you could use a shot glass, quarter, cotton ball and some rubbing alcohol and get the same effect. Just place the quarter over the bite the put a small piece of cotton ball soaked in alcohol on the quarter. Light the cotton ball on fire and put the shot glass over it. The fire will burn off all the air under the glass making a suction. Give it a try, you'll be suprised at how well it works. This trick was used to suck poisoin out of snake bites before they had "snake bite kits".
Link Posted: 9/5/2004 9:04:38 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

Quoted:

In that case you could use a shot glass, quarter, cotton ball and some rubbing alcohol and get the same effect. Just place the quarter over the bite the put a small piece of cotton ball soaked in alcohol on the quarter. Light the cotton ball on fire and put the shot glass over it. The fire will burn off all the air under the glass making a suction. Give it a try, you'll be suprised at how well it works. This trick was used to suck poisoin out of snake bites before they had "snake bite kits".

SLICK! Thanks man, I'll give that a whirl sometime.  It's amazing what a really good skeeter bite will drive a guy to though.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top