Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/4/2004 9:11:32 PM EDT
I was curious what "Gelato" tastes like so I tried some and it tasted just like ice-cream except it was less airy and it seemed to melt faster, it had some fruit cake type soft candy and nuts in it.

it cost $4.60 for a serving about the size of two small ice cream scoops , I prefer regular ice cream better than Gelato. I bought it at an Italian coffee shop in North Beach, SF.
Link Posted: 9/4/2004 9:21:01 PM EDT
[#1]
Havn't tried gelato yet, but after watching a special on the food network about it I gotta try it out.
Link Posted: 9/4/2004 9:30:24 PM EDT
[#2]
the flavor I tried was called "Amaretto" or something like that? they had several flavors of gelato, it's a fancy type of  Italian ice cream.
Link Posted: 9/4/2004 10:17:28 PM EDT
[#3]
Ice Cream=cooked milk/cream base with egg yolks, spun in a machine, frozen. I think you all know what this is!

Gelato=Italian style ice cream that is made from only heavy cream, and when spun in a machine, it has very little air mixed into it. It makes for a denser, more intense form of ice cream.

And just for fun-
"Philadelphia" Ice cream=uncooked milk.cream base with no eggs. It usually has a similar texture, but is not quite as creamy.

Link Posted: 9/5/2004 12:33:18 AM EDT
[#4]
Just wait until mainstream US food marketing gets involved.. it'll be

Gelato = eXXtreme Ice Cream!!
Link Posted: 9/5/2004 12:44:43 AM EDT
[#5]
I'm doing some advertising for a local Gelato shop, aparently its another one of those trends thats starting to pick up steam like Starbucks or Krispy Kreme, or the Hot Wing shops. In preparing for the advertising projects, I had to get acquainted with the product.

The prices blow, but since you have people who are willing to spend the kind of money they do on Starbucks, Im sure gelato shops will find their own snobs too.

Here's their website- www.piccomolo.com
Link Posted: 9/5/2004 5:34:32 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 9/5/2004 5:41:00 PM EDT
[#7]
isn't talking about Gelato vs. Ice cream kinda gay?
Link Posted: 9/5/2004 5:42:22 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
Just wait until mainstream US food marketing gets involved.. it'll be

Gelato = eXXtreme Ice Cream!!

Gelato is frikkin awesome, you just have to get it from the right place.  
Link Posted: 9/5/2004 5:45:17 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
isn't talking about Gelato vs. Ice cream kinda gay?

I was kinda thinking that when I saw the thread.  I can see us...A bunch of dudes with evil guns everywhere eating ice cream in a pink cup with lille sprinkles all over it...Priceless
Link Posted: 9/5/2004 5:52:44 PM EDT
[#10]
"gelato"?  is that like ice creambut gay?
Link Posted: 9/5/2004 5:56:21 PM EDT
[#11]
The gelato we get at our favorite Italian restaurant is to DIE for.  It comes in a trio - white chocolate, vanilla bean, and dark chocolate - awesome combination.

Any other day of the week, I'll take the regular stuff.
Link Posted: 9/5/2004 5:59:02 PM EDT
[#12]
custard
Link Posted: 9/5/2004 6:09:10 PM EDT
[#13]
Gelato rules over ice cream. I go miles out of my way to buy it at the Italian deli.

This thread needs a poll!
Link Posted: 9/5/2004 6:16:30 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
custard

Culvers custard!!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top