Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/4/2004 2:01:02 PM EDT
seattlepi.nwsource.com/national/apelection_story.asp?category=1131&slug=American%20Muslims%20Bush

Pro-Bush booth angers many U.S. Muslims

By RACHEL ZOLL
AP RELIGION WRITER

ROSEMONT, Ill. -- At the largest annual convention of American Muslims, a pro-Bush booth has stirred anger among attendees who believe the president's actions since Sept. 11, 2001, have hurt more innocent Muslims than terrorists.

They stop abruptly when they see the 5-foot-tall photo of President Bush, with "muslimsforbush.com" above his head.

Then come the outbursts.

"Disgusting," said one onlooker. "Take that down," said another.

Muslim women walk past a booth set up at the 41st annual Islamic Society of North America convention Friday, Sept. 3, 2004 in Rosemont, Ill. The booth was set up by Muhammad Ali Hasan, founder of "Muslims for Bush," who is seen in the photograph next to Bush in the background.

"I think President Bush has misled not only the United States, but the world," said Noor Maciael, an educator who called the booth "disgusting" and planned to vote for Democrat John Kerry. "He has put us in a situation where the whole world is hating this country."

The display was funded by Muhammad Ali Hasan and his mother, Seeme, who recently created the group "Muslims for Bush." Seeme Hasan said in a phone interview that she and her husband Malik, a Colorado physician who earned his wealth in the health care industry, have donated more than $1 million to Bush and Republican causes since the 2000 campaign.

"The reason we are doing this is that Muslims don't have a lobbyist," Seeme Hasan said. "We want to be there. We are going to give contributions at the highest level."

Bush has other supporters in the Muslim community. Some are Iraqi-Americans overjoyed that Saddam Hussein has been ousted. Others are entrepreneurs who view the GOP as more friendly to business interests. And many devout Muslims prefer the Republicans' conservative stand on social issues such as gay marriage.

But many Muslims at the nonpartisan Islamic Society of North America convention were not grateful for the Hasans' activism.

An older man gawked at the photo of the president with his arms wrapped around Muhammad and Seeme Hasan, and said, "I'm numb. I'm speechless." He then joined a group that had cornered a conference official, demanding that the display be taken down. A volunteer staffing the booth said some people were taking campaign material and throwing it out.

Asma Gull Hasan, the elder Hasan's daughter, who was also at the booth, said she had expected negative remarks. However, she said she was encouraged that some passers-by had quietly told her they would vote for the president.

Bush has a complex relationship with American Muslims.

He declared Islam a peaceful religion when some other U.S. leaders were condemning the faith, and honored Muslim holidays in the White House.

After Sept. 11, the president made a gesture of enormous significance for the community when he visited a Washington-area mosque and warned the public that anger over the suicide hijackings should not be directed toward U.S. Muslims.

However, his subsequent policies have caused deep resentment.

Muslim leaders say the domestic war on terror and the USA Patriot Act, which extended controversial law enforcement powers, have cast so wide a net that all Muslims and their institutions have become suspect. Many also saw the war in Iraq as the extension of a misguided U.S. policy in the Mideast that foments terrorism instead of stopping it.

Leading American Muslim organizations endorsed Bush in 2000 over Democrat Al Gore, expecting the Texas governor would be more sympathetic to their concerns. But Muslims have said since that they regretted their decision.

Surveys of U.S. Muslims indicate a majority will vote for Kerry, even though they fear he will not go far enough in repealing parts of the Patriot Act. Volunteers at a Kerry booth at the convention, in a far corner of the vendors' hall away from the Bush display, were busily distributing campaign stickers.

Both candidates have been reaching out to Muslim voters. Muslims are concentrated in some battleground states, such as Ohio, Michigan and Florida, and they hope their presence in those areas will help them gain political visibility.

Muhammad Hasan said that since the convention began Friday evening, critics who have approached him have been more open to hearing his views. He said he was not discouraged by the response so far.

"I have a lot of faith in the fact that the Muslim vote is up for grabs," he said
Link Posted: 9/4/2004 2:08:20 PM EDT
[#1]
Well I for one am not surprised.  
Please note this is a general stratement about being surprised and does not reflect my opinion on any religion or culture or group of persons
I just find it not surprising a group of people, who do not represent any entire sect would say such things about POTUS.
Link Posted: 9/4/2004 2:11:40 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
Please note this is a general stratement about being surprised and does not reflect my opinion on any religion or culture or group of persons

Good point.  I should clarify that I posted the article for informational purposes only.  Those of you reading it, please do not form judgements regarding any religious or cultural group.  If you do, and you express those here, I cannot be held responsible for any actions taken by Aimless.
Link Posted: 9/4/2004 2:29:53 PM EDT
[#3]
No comment.  IBTL
Link Posted: 9/4/2004 2:31:54 PM EDT
[#4]
Nope
Link Posted: 9/4/2004 2:32:18 PM EDT
[#5]
Yes I will take the one in white for $300 and how much is her little sister?
Link Posted: 9/4/2004 2:33:00 PM EDT
[#6]
I thought it was illegal for one person to donate that much.
One million dollars?
Isn't there a campaign donation limit?
Link Posted: 9/4/2004 2:35:14 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
I thought it was illegal for one person to donate that much.
One million dollars?
Isn't there a campaign donation limit?

Only if you're not George Soros.
Link Posted: 9/4/2004 2:36:38 PM EDT
[#8]
Weather is splendid...wish you were here...IBTL.
Link Posted: 9/4/2004 2:38:59 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
seattlepi.nwsource.com/national/apelection_story.asp?category=1131&slug=American%20Muslims%20Bush

Pro-Bush booth angers many U.S. Muslims

By RACHEL ZOLL
AP RELIGION WRITER

ROSEMONT, Ill. -- At the largest annual convention of American Muslims, a pro-Bush booth has stirred anger among attendees who believe the president's actions since Sept. 11, 2001, have hurt more innocent Muslims than terrorists.

They stop abruptly when they see the 5-foot-tall photo of President Bush, with "muslimsforbush.com" above his head.

Then come the outbursts.

"Disgusting," said one onlooker. "Take that down," said another.

(snip)

Bush has a complex relationship with American Muslims.

He declared Islam a peaceful religion when some other U.S. leaders were condemning the faith, and honored Muslim holidays in the White House.
(snip)

[greenparrot]"RAWWK! Religion of Peace! Religion of Peace!"
[/greenparrot]

Link Posted: 9/4/2004 2:39:56 PM EDT
[#10]
Tell them to lick my love pump......
Link Posted: 9/4/2004 2:41:23 PM EDT
[#11]
I like bean pie.
Link Posted: 9/4/2004 2:45:18 PM EDT
[#12]

The display was funded by Muhammad Ali Hasan and his mother, Seeme, who recently created the group "Muslims for Bush." Seeme Hasan said in a phone interview that she and her husband Malik, a Colorado physician who earned his wealth in the health care industry, have donated more than $1 million to Bush and Republican causes since the 2000 campaign.

It is over a 4 year period and probably includes Local, State and National elections.

BigDozer66
Link Posted: 9/4/2004 2:46:10 PM EDT
[#13]
I can see the muslims slowly taking us over from the inside. Voting people out of office whom would protect us, and voting in people who would destroy our way of life as we know it. Very sad that our own constitution is going to be used to destroy us from within.
Link Posted: 9/4/2004 2:53:42 PM EDT
[#14]
Psst, arfcommers, your cynicism is showing...

By the way, there are a lot of Muslims that are Pro Bush. His actions are often well thought of by people with families in their old countries that were liberated by his (and Bush 41's) wars on the bad guys.
Link Posted: 9/4/2004 2:59:33 PM EDT
[#15]

It must be true… this US printed book says so.

www.noorart.com/product153.html

Andy
Link Posted: 9/4/2004 3:06:54 PM EDT
[#16]
I like Pork!
Link Posted: 9/4/2004 3:07:13 PM EDT
[#17]
no comment
Link Posted: 9/4/2004 3:09:24 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Good point.  I should clarify that I posted the article for informational purposes only.  Those of you reading it, please do not form judgements regarding any religious or cultural group.  If you do, and you express those here, I cannot be held responsible for any actions taken by Aimless.

What actions would those be ?
Link Posted: 9/4/2004 3:16:02 PM EDT
[#19]
hmmm, hide from the facts, the good old American way, abolish those who dare utter such nonsense!

unfortunately a good majority of "muslims" have been killed by "people" (used against my better judgement) who claim to be, "muslims"...  My God, you would think that would be enough to piss them off.

as mentioned elsewhere on this site, the muslims better distance themselves from these assholes before their whole religion is wiped from the face of the earth.  The number of non-muslims effected by this shit is growing rapidly, tolerance will only last so long until 'something gives'
Link Posted: 9/4/2004 3:18:42 PM EDT
[#20]
I bet the majority of them arent even U.S. citizens
Link Posted: 9/4/2004 3:23:01 PM EDT
[#21]
First, tough shit if someone, anyone, is mad about what we're doing about 9-11.  Second, who's RACHEL ZOLL, AP RELIGION WRITER and what direction does her writing usually lean?  Anyone know cause I don't.
Link Posted: 9/4/2004 3:56:53 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

What actions would those be ?

Last night he locked the accounts of a number of folks reacting to the events in Russia.
Link Posted: 9/4/2004 6:11:43 PM EDT
[#23]
btt for the night crew
Link Posted: 9/4/2004 6:15:20 PM EDT
[#24]
So we had a bun ch of them all in one place at the same time?

And........................................

Sktar15
Link Posted: 9/4/2004 6:17:01 PM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 9/4/2004 6:17:44 PM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 9/4/2004 6:18:57 PM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 9/4/2004 6:20:36 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Last night he locked the accounts of a number of folks reacting to the events in Russia.

It is my understanding "that number" is :2

Necromancer shouldn't count, that voodoo shit should have gotten her locked last week.
Link Posted: 9/4/2004 6:21:36 PM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 9/4/2004 6:23:24 PM EDT
[#30]
NEWS FLASH:

AP(NY)MANY U.S. MUSLIMS ANGERED - QUIETSHOOTR DOESN'T GIVE A FLYING FUCK
Link Posted: 9/4/2004 6:26:44 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

Sktar15

Yes....about 10 minutes from where I am.....and I was thinking the same thing.....

that we cannot discuss the .....and
Link Posted: 9/4/2004 6:29:29 PM EDT
[#32]
This "news" story is obviously anti-Muslim propaganda spread by preachers of hate, with the expressed purpose of slandering the good name of a peaceful & benign world religion.

This thread needs to be locked ASAP, lest it offend innocent Muslims.
Link Posted: 9/4/2004 6:30:05 PM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

Sktar15

The same can be said about the cats down at your local pound.  All those vulnerable cats in little tiny cages.  Exactly what were you thinking?
j/k
Link Posted: 9/4/2004 6:37:08 PM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

It is my understanding "that number" is :2

Necromancer and who else?  Was it virginia22?

those 2 have had it coming for awhile.
Link Posted: 9/4/2004 6:37:17 PM EDT
[#35]
So f------ what?  But wait, I forgot it is the religion of peace (and slaughtering little children).

-REAPER2502
Link Posted: 9/4/2004 7:22:08 PM EDT
[#36]
Fuck HAJI!!!
FREE
Link Posted: 9/4/2004 7:28:18 PM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:
[greenparrot]"RAWWK! Religion of Peace! Religion of Peace!"
[/greenparrot]

Link Posted: 9/4/2004 7:33:49 PM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:
Fuck HAJI!!!
FREE

Be careful, FREE... you'll get locked.  God knows, you don't know a thing about murderous hajis.
Link Posted: 9/4/2004 7:35:31 PM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Fuck HAJI!!!
FREE

Be careful, FREE... you'll get locked.  God knows, you don't know a thing about murderous hajis.

Read my disclaimer.  If you were around last night, you'd know why it's necessary.  
Link Posted: 9/4/2004 8:12:29 PM EDT
[#40]
I think the Hasan family are pretty damn lucky that the crowd didn't kidnap them and cut their heads off for defiling Islam!  

Oh...sorry, I lost my head.  We're talking about The Religion of Peace
........RIGHT!  
Link Posted: 9/4/2004 8:15:10 PM EDT
[#41]
Link Posted: 9/4/2004 8:16:30 PM EDT
[#42]
Link Posted: 9/4/2004 9:43:32 PM EDT
[#43]
A lot of them are angry at Bush because he'll shut down their charitable donations that they probably get to deduct on their taxes.
Link Posted: 9/4/2004 10:00:04 PM EDT
[#44]

Link Posted: 9/4/2004 10:10:21 PM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:
NEWS FLASH:

AP(NY)MANY U.S. MUSLIMS ANGERED - QUIETSHOOTR DOESN'T GIVE A FLYING FUCK

Link Posted: 9/4/2004 10:12:35 PM EDT
[#46]
Um, let' see, what was I going to say........
Oh yeah, F*CK THEM, and F*CK THE "Religion of Peace™"
Link Posted: 9/5/2004 4:56:20 AM EDT
[#47]
btt for the morning crew
Link Posted: 9/5/2004 5:09:33 AM EDT
[#48]
I find it very interesting that people come here from other countries, and as they try to establish themselves realize that their culture (which they refuse to leave at the door when they come here) isnt the predominant one in this country. This isnt a nation of muslims....and it should never be. If these people are so unhappy with the leadership here, why the fk do they stay?

All these people do is complain.....either about how their religion isnt being accepted in America, or about how the rest of us are infidels. This isnt a personal attack, so I think its fair to ask...

Muslim people that post here on this site....

If you dislike the form of governement in America, dislike the leaders, dislike the culture, arent accepted, harbor contempt for the values we hold, the foods we eat, the way we choose wives (not arranged)...why are you here?

You either came here to escape persecution, or to profit from our economy....or maybe, you are just here to further the greater cause which is spreading your hateful and exclusive doctrine until you take over the world.

Can anyone explain to me why these people are here?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top