Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/4/2004 4:16:08 AM EDT
We're into it now and have another day or so until the worst passes.

So far, about what we expect here in Cocoa Beach.  It's like the leading edge of a typical afternoon thunderstorm but the wind doesn't stop and it's odd coming from the NE - 20 MPH or so with gusts to maybe 30-35.  The major difference is BIG surf.  Some other communities South of us are already having trouble with modest winds and local power but so far we're fine (I'm posting - duh).
Link Posted: 9/4/2004 4:18:47 AM EDT
[#1]
Well, to you and all the other in Florida,
Be safe and God bless!
Link Posted: 9/4/2004 4:19:01 AM EDT
[#2]
Take care
Link Posted: 9/4/2004 4:26:43 AM EDT
[#3]
Woah - I spoke too soon.  Just took two moderate power hits & lost I-Net for a minute.  I'll try to keep updating the FL Hometown call-in list as long as I can & here's a 1 minute old email from my Cape Canaveral weatherman buddy....

Just a short update this morning.  Hurricane Frances is still moving slowly toward the central Florida east coast with sustained winds close to Category II strength.  A little intensification is expected just before landfall as the storm passes over the Gulf Stream.  I now expect Frances to make landfall near Sebastian at 3am (eastern time) Sunday morning with winds near the center of 110mph gusting to 135mph - a strong Category II hurricane.  There is still a chance that Frances may reach minimal Category III strength just before landfall.  At 5am Sunday, Frances will be 15 miles southwest of Palm Bay, moving slowly to the west northwest, with winds near the center of 105mph gusting to 130mph.  For Melbourne and the beaches including south Merritt Island winds will peak around 5am on Sunday at 95mph gusting to 120mph. For north Merritt Island and the Cape, winds will peak at 85mph with gusts to 105mph.  For the Lake Washington area, winds will peak early Sunday morning (5am) at 100mph gusting to 125mph.

Frances will pass near Haines City and Spring Hill on her path across the state, however, the storm will be at Tropical Storm strength before she reaches Haines City.  Because Frances is such a slow moving storm, folks in east central Florida can expect a prolonged period of high winds and heavy rain squalls for a period of about 36 hours from Saturday morning through Sunday evening.

This may well be the last update because I expect to lose power.  Everyone stay safe!

Thanks all and I'll hang onto I-Net as best possible.
Link Posted: 9/4/2004 4:33:46 AM EDT
[#4]
Hold on to your hat Florida! STAY SAFE!

How many clicks do you need to adjust for windage in a hurricane at 500 yards?

Link Posted: 9/4/2004 4:34:40 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
We're into it now and have another day or so until the worst passes.

So far, about what we expect here in Cocoa Beach.  It's like the leading edge of a typical afternoon thunderstorm but the wind doesn't stop and it's odd coming from the NW - 20 MPH or so with gusts to maybe 30-35.  The major difference is BIG surf.  Some other communities South of us are already having trouble with modest winds and local power but so far we're fine (I'm posting - duh).

I'm here in Brevard County Florida, Stay Safe, we're receiving wind gusts to 65 Mph already.

Link Posted: 9/4/2004 4:35:19 AM EDT
[#6]
Keep us posted and, STAY SAFE !!

The not so smart side of me wishes I was surfing at '2nd Light' or RC's right about now.  
Link Posted: 9/4/2004 4:57:28 AM EDT
[#7]
We're snapping pictures but I don't have an account to post them anywhere.  Volunteer with email? the digital camara just decided to quit.  It was old anyway and we have a film canera too but....
Link Posted: 9/4/2004 6:01:32 AM EDT
[#8]
Weather station / webcam from Jensen Beach (Hutchinson Island??)

Jensen Beach Webcam
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top