BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 9/2/2004 3:33:49 PM EDT
No calls for help when girl overdosed on ecstasy, police say

Thursday September 02, 2004

BELMONT, Calif. (AP) A 14-year-old Belmont girl suffered convulsions, vomited about 20 times and complained of headaches after she took a fatal dose of the party drug ``ecstasy,'' but none of her friends called for help, according to police testimony.

Belmont police officers offered a detailed account Wednesday of the April night Irma Perez overdosed at a friend's slumber party. She was declared brain dead that weekend, and died days later after she was taken off life support.

The officers gave testimony in San Mateo County juvenile court, where a 17-year-old who allegedly supplied the drugs to Irma and the other girls is being held on seven charges, including involuntary manslaughter.

The officers' testimony, based on interviews with eyewitnesses, offered a glimpse of drug-savvy teenagers and clueless adults in a case that has shocked parents and teachers in the San Francisco Bay area, according to the San Jose Mercury News.

After taking the ecstasy pill, Irma, convinced she was going to die, asked two friends at the party to tell her family goodbye and that she loved them.

Irma pleaded for water and fresh air, grew dizzy and stopped talking, moaned all night and sometimes screamed, officers testified. Several of the teens suggested calling for medical help, but none would summon an adult. Three adults were home at the time, but didn't appear to notice what was happening downstairs.

To help their friend, the girls gave Irma a bath and offered her bread, water, Advil and marijuana.

If the girl had received timely care, ``there's a significant likelihood she'd be alive today,'' said Dr. K. Leslie Avery, who later treated Irma at Lucile Salter Packard Children's Hospital at Stanford.

The 17-year-old is the only one of five people charged in connection with Irma's death who hasn't yet reached a plea agreement. The teenager's lawyer, Vincent O'Malley, said it was unfair for the district attorney to single out his client for the manslaughter charge.

Sounds fun.
Link Posted: 9/2/2004 3:39:04 PM EDT
[#1]
No sympathy from me.
Link Posted: 9/2/2004 3:41:44 PM EDT
[#2]
<---sympathy here.

<---but none for those who were to scared or stupid to get her any help.
Link Posted: 9/2/2004 3:42:20 PM EDT
[#3]
I've taken E once about 5 years ago.  I'll admit that it sure was a fun ride, but I'll be damned if I'll ever put shit like that in my body again.
Link Posted: 9/2/2004 3:43:29 PM EDT
[#4]
"E" causes your body temp. to go up a lot.  If you don't drink enough water or if you are downing beer you are going to cook.

WTF were the parents doing?  There is no way that 3 teens could be on "E" and not cause the parents to become aware.
Link Posted: 9/2/2004 3:44:19 PM EDT
[#5]
See? Drugs are just fine and they should be available everywhere!

Lots of successful people use them!

They are wonderful!

[/sarcasm]
Link Posted: 9/2/2004 3:44:36 PM EDT
[#6]
BAN EXTACY!!!
Oh, wait...
Link Posted: 9/2/2004 3:45:51 PM EDT
[#7]
Yeah give her some marijuna that sounds like a good idea.
Link Posted: 9/2/2004 3:46:23 PM EDT
[#8]
I have no problems with some doofus smokin a doobie, as long as they don't operate machines.

But all these other drugs have got to go... its bullshit.

14 years old???

What a waste.

- BG
Link Posted: 9/2/2004 3:47:22 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
I've taken E once about 5 years ago.  I'll admit that it sure was a fun ride, but I'll be damned if I'll ever put shit like that in my body again.

I have taken "E" before as well.  It really causes the nerve endings near your skin to really react to touch.....not to mention the pretty lights.....but it isn't my thing.  Taking something that cooks the body and eats the brain isn't that fun.
Link Posted: 9/2/2004 3:48:16 PM EDT
[#10]
It's too bad that kids have to die in order for the shit to become newsworthy. Also, it's too bad it will most likely take more than the death of a fellow teen to make them stop messing around with their lives. Very sad.
Link Posted: 9/2/2004 3:50:21 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
WTF were the parents doing?

Leaving the girls alone so they could have their "slumber party". You know, play with barbie dolls, watch the hillary duff show, eat ice cream...

Most parents of teenage girls are clueless.  Note that these girls administered their friend MORE drugs, ibuprophen and marijuana, to "help" her. This was not first time experimentation, although it may have been their first time with X.
Link Posted: 9/2/2004 3:52:28 PM EDT
[#12]
Just one more reason to "decriminalize" drugs!
Link Posted: 9/2/2004 3:54:55 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
See? Drugs are just fine and they should be available everywhere!

Lots of successful people use them!

They are wonderful!

[/sarcasm]

I don't think 14 year olds should have unsupervised access to arms or drugs. But an adult shold have unlimited access to both. The parents should have been watching there kids and not letting the state keep there kids "Drug Free" via the state run War on Drugs.

And if the kids were not afraid of the "War on Drugs" and having there lives ruined by the Police State they may have called 911. The kids new that if the called for an Ambulance they would be put through hell by the police.

Link Posted: 9/2/2004 3:55:15 PM EDT
[#14]
Nice fucking friends!
Link Posted: 9/2/2004 3:55:33 PM EDT
[#15]
I am not condoning the use of X by any means, but all the research that I have seen indicates that real pure MDMA won't kill you.  There was girl here in CO who died while on X, but the drug didn't kill her.  She overconsumed water, becuase that is what she was told to do (bad information that has already been posted in this thread), diluted her electrolytes to where her brain couldn't function and died.  She died from WATER poisoning, but the media hyped as an X death.

Now, I personally won't do X because while it may not kill you, I do believe that it can fuck up your emotional brain chemistry.
Link Posted: 9/2/2004 3:56:48 PM EDT
[#16]
Andreuha, beat me to it!

Iso
Link Posted: 9/2/2004 3:57:04 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
"E" causes your body temp. to go up a lot.  If you don't drink enough water or if you are downing beer you are going to cook.

WTF were the parents doing?  There is no way that 3 teens could be on "E" and not cause the parents to become aware.

Dude, bad advice.  That is the same advice that killed a girl here in CO.
Link Posted: 9/2/2004 3:59:42 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
I am not condoning the use of X by any means, but all the research that I have seen indicates that real pure MDMA won't kill you.  There was girl here in CO who died while on X, but the drug didn't kill her.  She overconsumed water, becuase that is what she was told to do (bad information that has already been posted in this thread), diluted her electrolytes to where her brain couldn't function and died.  She died from WATER poisoning, but the media hyped as an X death.

Now, I personally won't do X because while it may not kill you, I do believe that it can fuck up your emotional brain chemistry.

That is interesting....it does make you want to drink a lot so I can see how someone could guzzle too much water, but I never thought that it was a bad thing.  However, E does make your body temp go up and still need to keep your fluids up.
Link Posted: 9/2/2004 4:03:15 PM EDT
[#19]
did this girl die from toxicity of the drug?

does anyone care? probably not

Did she likely die from dehydration? mmmmm could be since the description of her symptoms sounds classic.

I know a teen that killed himself and a bunch of friends driving his car. Time to ban cars since the failure to ban cars will result in cars in the hands of people who are dangerous with cars. Give a moron a potentially dangerous instrumentality and then act real surprised when they wreak havoc. good grief

eta: hydrating PROPERLY is NEVER bad advice, particularly when you are overexerting yourself because of the ecstasy and therefore losing massive amounts of water through perspiration. Yes, you can die from an excess consumption of water. Too much fluid consumption can also tax and damage your kidneys so you need to hydrate properly and be careful to take breaks and not overexert yourself when using a drug that stimulates your respiratory and circulatory systems as ecstasy does.
Link Posted: 9/2/2004 4:03:52 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
did this girl die from toxicity of the drug?

does anyone care? probably not

Did she likely die from dehydration? mmmmm could be since the description of her symptoms sounds classic.

I know a teen that killed himself and a bunch of friends driving his car. Time to ban cars since the failure to ban cars will result in cars in the hands of people who are dangerous with cars. Give a moron a potentially dangerous instrumentality and then act real surprised when they wreak havoc. good grief

Yup
Link Posted: 9/2/2004 4:06:44 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
That is interesting....it does make you want to drink a lot so I can see how someone could guzzle too much water, but I never thought that it was a bad thing.  However, E does make your body temp go up and still need to keep your fluids up.

Everything is toxic in the right dosage, even water.

my.webmd.com/content/article/42/1671_51282.htm
Link Posted: 9/2/2004 4:07:08 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Exactly...drinking too much water is more dangerous than not consuming water at all while taking "E".
Link Posted: 9/2/2004 4:09:58 PM EDT
[#23]
[liberalwayofthinking] Drugs are a victimless crime and everyone should be able to enjoy them no matter how old they are. [/liberalwayofthinking]
Link Posted: 9/2/2004 4:10:43 PM EDT
[#24]
*sniff* *sniff* you smell that? it's darwinism. no sympathy here.
Link Posted: 9/2/2004 4:11:12 PM EDT
[#25]
So water should be considered a controlled substance?

Quoted:

Link Posted: 9/2/2004 4:13:14 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:
So water should be considered a controlled substance?

Quoted:

Do it for the children
Link Posted: 9/2/2004 4:13:19 PM EDT
[#27]
[/facistwayofthinking] If it is illegal, it's bad but if it is legal, it's ok [facistwayofthinking]
Link Posted: 9/2/2004 4:22:27 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:
She died from WATER poisoning, but the media hyped as an X death.

WTF? Short of drinking so much water your intestines burst, i dont think you can die from drinking too much water.
Link Posted: 9/2/2004 4:23:00 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

Quoted:

WTF? Short of drinking so much water your intestines burst, i dont think you can die from drinking too much water.

You think wrong.

www.chclibrary.org/micromed/00059400.html

www.lifesteps.com/gm/Atoz/ency/overhydration.jsp

www.ehendrick.org/healthy/000988.htm
Link Posted: 9/2/2004 4:23:20 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

You think wrong.

+1
Link Posted: 9/2/2004 4:25:59 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

You think wrong.

+1

Short of drowning, with what mechanism does drinking water kill a person?  I dont mean a person on X.  Say an athlete instead. How much water would lance armstrong have to drink to OD and die from "water poisening?"
Link Posted: 9/2/2004 4:27:25 PM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

You think wrong.

+1

Short of drowning, with what mechanism does drinking water kill a person?  I dont mean a person on X.  Say an athlete instead. How much water would lance armstrong have to drink to OD and die from "water poisening?"

By diluting the elctrolytes in your system.  I added a couple of links to my reply above.  Check them out.
Link Posted: 9/2/2004 4:28:10 PM EDT
[#33]
It IS possible to drink enough water to cause a severe electrolyte imbalance....but I think you'd have to be on drugs to do it in the first place.
Link Posted: 9/2/2004 4:29:08 PM EDT
[#34]
That must of been cut with something else. Pure MDMA is very rare.
Link Posted: 9/2/2004 4:30:12 PM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:
It IS possible to drink enough water to cause a severe electrolyte imbalance....but I think you'd have to be on drugs to do it in the first place.

Being on drugs is one way that it can happen, but far from the only one.  It happens fairly fequently to athletes.

www.cyclingsite.com/collected_wisdom/touring_info/concerns/electrolytes.htm

www.trainharder.com/training/articles/overhydration.htm
Link Posted: 9/2/2004 4:34:30 PM EDT
[#36]
How 'bout the army as a source.  5 cases of water poisoning, including one fatality, in ONE MONTH at Benning.

amsa.army.mil/1msmr/2000/v06_n03_article2.htm
Link Posted: 9/2/2004 4:37:17 PM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:
How 'bout the army as a source.  5 cases of water poisoning, including one fatality, in ONE MONTH at Benning.

Wow!  You learn something everyday
I guess I should be careful about water.   A lot of times, when I am at work when it is really hot I will chug water like crazy.  I guess I should tone it down just in case.
Link Posted: 9/2/2004 4:38:07 PM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Being on drugs is one way that it can happen, but far from the only one.  It happens fairly fequently to athletes.

Yeah but my point is this: Unless the hydration deaths were atheltes who happened to take X before a huge workout, while the PROXIMATE cause of death may be overhydration, the ULTIMATE cause was X.
Link Posted: 9/2/2004 4:39:01 PM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I guess I should be careful about water.   A lot of times, when I am at work when it is really hot I will chug water like crazy.  I guess I should tone it down just in case.

No. I drink a gallon or more per day. Replace what you think you're losing, then some. Your body will take care of it until you get WAY out of balance.

edit...and add a salt tablet here and there.
Link Posted: 9/2/2004 4:42:20 PM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

No. I drink a gallon or more per day. Replace what you think you're losing, then some. Your body will take care of it until you get WAY out of balance.

That is about how much I drink a day as well.  It sucks first thing in the morning having all that water stuffed into the back of my cruising vest though by the end of the day my lips are dry and I am dying for something cold.
Link Posted: 9/2/2004 4:47:40 PM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

edit...and add a salt tablet here and there.

Here in CO, we are supposed to drink around a gallon a day.  Between the altitude and the dry climate that is a recommended minimum.  The girl whp died drank 2 or 3 gallons in a matter of a couple hours.
Link Posted: 9/2/2004 4:48:40 PM EDT
[#42]
Link Posted: 9/2/2004 4:49:00 PM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Yeah but my point is this: Unless the hydration deaths were atheltes who happened to take X before a huge workout, while the PROXIMATE cause of death may be overhydration, the ULTIMATE cause was X.

I will agree with you only in the sense that the X made them think that they need to drink that much water.  The amount of water would have been toxic whether X was involved or not. If the girl was simply better infromed, the X would have been relatively harmless.

ETA:  A really its bad info like "You have to drink lots of water when you are on X or you will burn up" that was posted here, that was the reason the girl here in CO was drinking so much water.  Its simply not true and if she hadnt been told that, she would probably be alive today.
Link Posted: 9/2/2004 4:50:15 PM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:
14 year old dies after taking Exstacy

16 year old dies after football workout

17 year old dies after running stop sign

18 year old dies after bar room brawl

21 year old dies after binge drinking

24 year old dies after motorcycle crash

28 year old dies after prescription drug reaction

33 year old dies after jealous husband catches duo

36 year old dies after industrial accident

41 year old dies after speedboat accident

44 year old dies after bicycle hit by drunk driver

47 year old dies after massive coronary

52 year old dies after life of inactivety on the internet

58 year old dies after sex with young girl

61 year old dies after machinegun explodes at bulletfest

63 year old dies after life of boredom

71 year old dies of natural causes

after you have finished making life 'safe', please...just shoot me. i damn sure won't want to live in your boring world.

+1
Link Posted: 9/2/2004 4:55:53 PM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:

and alot of stuff thats being sold as MDMA is not MDMA.

Link Posted: 9/2/2004 4:55:56 PM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:

Quoted:
14 year old dies after taking Exstacy

16 year old dies after football workout

17 year old dies after running stop sign

18 year old dies after bar room brawl

21 year old dies after binge drinking

24 year old dies after motorcycle crash

28 year old dies after prescription drug reaction

33 year old dies after jealous husband catches duo

36 year old dies after industrial accident

41 year old dies after speedboat accident

44 year old dies after bicycle hit by drunk driver

47 year old dies after massive coronary

52 year old dies after life of inactivety on the internet

58 year old dies after sex with young girl

61 year old dies after machinegun explodes at bulletfest

63 year old dies after life of boredom

71 year old dies of natural causes

after you have finished making life 'safe', please...just shoot me. i damn sure won't want to live in your boring world.

+1

+2  I think we should be able to kill ourselves however we want.
Link Posted: 9/2/2004 4:56:58 PM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:

Quoted:

True 'dat.  Almost anything in pressed pill form is likely to at least have other stuff in it.  "Molly" is the way, if you must.
Link Posted: 9/2/2004 4:58:09 PM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Exactly...

They sell test kits for ecstasy...
Link Posted: 9/2/2004 4:59:06 PM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:

Sorry, but MDMA does indeed cause malignant hyperthermia and people do die as a result.  Can I ask your credentials?
Link Posted: 9/2/2004 5:04:54 PM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Sorry, but MDMA does indeed cause malignant hyperthermia and people do die as a result.  Can I ask your credentials?

I am simply relating a case where overhdration was the cause of death and becuase the girl was on X when she overhydrated, it was sold in the media as an X fatality.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top