Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/2/2004 6:48:52 AM EDT

All my books added up would be over $400.

Fuck   That.

I will not pay it, what is the best place on the internet to buy them from?
I have heard of some people doing this,and I hear you can save a lot of money.

Any experience?

Thanks.
Link Posted: 9/2/2004 6:51:28 AM EDT
[#1]
Good luck navigating websites put together by out-of-touch college students, getting ripped on slow shipping, getting the wrong book in worse shape than you expect, and expect half of them to be 2 editions older than what you need, even though they clearly say 'current edition'.

Of course, I could be wrong.....
Link Posted: 9/2/2004 6:54:04 AM EDT
[#2]
You can try half.com

They are part of ebay, and as such, completely ANTI 2A.
Im sure you can find the books cheap, but let your conscience be your guide.
Link Posted: 9/2/2004 6:54:41 AM EDT
[#3]
Do a search for "international versions" of textbooks - they usually come in soft cover with a big stamp across them that say "Not for Sale in the U.S." and are about as half as much.  One of my co-workers just bought books for the semester - I'll ask her what site she went to.
Link Posted: 9/2/2004 6:56:01 AM EDT
[#4]
Some asshole broke into my room and stole mine. That is about as cheap as they come.

Otherwise you are screwed. Just like the 4,000,000,000 students who got screwed before you.

Try the local used bookstores, and get an older version if they are close to the new one. Our Calc book used to change every other year and there were plenty of older versions floating around the used bookstores.
Link Posted: 9/2/2004 6:57:15 AM EDT
[#5]

Half

& Amazon
Link Posted: 9/2/2004 6:57:53 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
You can try half.com

They are part of ebay, and as such, completely ANTI 2A.
Im sure you can find the books cheap, but let your conscience be your guide.

+1 for half.com
Link Posted: 9/2/2004 6:59:34 AM EDT
[#7]
It's a long shot but what books do you need?  I have amassed a vast collection in the past 5 years.
Link Posted: 9/2/2004 6:59:54 AM EDT
[#8]
When I was in college the best place is to look for used books from previous students. They usually posted on bulletin boards all over the campus. Good luck.
Link Posted: 9/2/2004 7:03:44 AM EDT
[#9]
I've heard good things about TextBooksX from some of my co-workers.  Never used it myself though.
Link Posted: 9/2/2004 7:04:56 AM EDT
[#10]
Half.com is wonderful. I made the mistake of getting all mine from the school bookstore again this semester, 400 dollars for my 5 classes. (already had the book for one of the classes)

Priced it out on half....less than 100

*kicking self*
Link Posted: 9/2/2004 7:10:19 AM EDT
[#11]
Fucking nowhere.  I spent $552.53 on FOUR books.  usually I can find at least a couple used books from other students for 30 or 40 bucks, which takes the average down, but not this year.  
Link Posted: 9/2/2004 7:12:42 AM EDT
[#12]
That was tax on my books.
Pay it and smile
Link Posted: 9/2/2004 7:18:33 AM EDT
[#13]

Wait until the class to see if the
book will be needed. Half the time,
the prof would use a book for like
one day, but still "require" you to
shell out $40 for it.

I stopped buying books after my
sophmore year...biggest rip off
ever (especially with the internet).

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top