Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/2/2004 3:55:00 AM EDT
This hurricane has potential to be a Cat 5 - the storm of the century.

Storms of this proportion have ALWAYS fascinated me - the power they demonstrate is intoxicating to watch.

Soo, would it be wrong to make a video tape of it, and sell it??

Were I to do something like this, I would donate half the profits to victims relief funds to recover from the hurricane.

Link Posted: 9/2/2004 3:57:52 AM EDT
[#1]
LMAO profit off tragedy, dam you would be the first
Now will you still be alive after filiming a hurricane? Thats another question
Link Posted: 9/2/2004 3:59:29 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:

Now will you still be alive after filiming a hurricane? Thats another question

maybe that would be God's way of telling me "No, NOT a good idea."

Link Posted: 9/2/2004 4:00:51 AM EDT
[#3]
It sounds like a documentary of a natural event.

In that sense, it wouldn't be unethical.
Link Posted: 9/2/2004 4:02:40 AM EDT
[#4]
get a load of plywood and sell it for 500 bucks a sheet, oh and film it so its ethical
Link Posted: 9/2/2004 4:02:46 AM EDT
[#5]
I don't think so.  The news outlets do it all the time.  How do you think news stringers earn their living?
But, in these situations there can be moral quandaries.  For example, what are you going to do if you're photographing a building being dissected and something falls on a little old lady?  Are you going to keep the cameras rolling or are you going to help the little old lady?
I used to be a photographer.  And it was exactly questions like this one that made me take up commercial photography instead of news photography.  At heart, I was never a news photographer.
Link Posted: 9/2/2004 4:04:18 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 9/2/2004 4:07:27 AM EDT
[#7]
what I done get is why dosent EVER SINGLE HOMEOWNER already have enough plywood /supplies already??!?!?! how many lessons does it take???
Link Posted: 9/2/2004 4:08:16 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
. It's not like you would be  price gouging the locals.

mike

We already had that argume....uhhhh...discussion.  

Link Posted: 9/2/2004 4:09:19 AM EDT
[#9]
Too be honest I would stand my ground, load a few betas, and let the fucker have it. Might not be able to kill it with the first drum but I figure after a few it will be dead.

I will be a national hero.
Link Posted: 9/2/2004 4:17:18 AM EDT
[#10]
I strongly disagree with this condemnation of "gouging".  Supply and demand drive pricing, it's unreasonable to expect to get the prices at the low end of the demand cycle when you are actually at the high end of the demand cycle.
It's not like hurricanes area surprise phenomena in FLA.  People could stock up on the plywood and water and anything else in the off season when prices are low if they had any foresight.  Instead, they wait until a situation which is easy to anticipate is upon them, and then wonder why prices are so much higher.
Alot of whining, if you ask me.
Link Posted: 9/2/2004 4:24:41 AM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 9/2/2004 4:24:42 AM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 9/2/2004 4:26:18 AM EDT
[#13]
Hold on there Jeepster...let me get this straight...there has been other hurricanes in florida?!?!

I dont know how they build houses down there but a lot of themsure seem to come apart pretty easy.  Yes, I do understand the sustained winds will destroy even the strongest structures.
Link Posted: 9/2/2004 4:29:35 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

garandman, if a tree falls on you and your camera...i'll give you a speshul ar15com price break for capitalists...only $21,000 today, and today only!

sorry, bro...couldn't resist! good luck filming that storm. i just heard it's still 500 miles offshore.

Ha Ha!!!!!!

[vader]Come to the dark side, Luuuuukkkkeeee. [/vader]
Link Posted: 9/2/2004 4:30:44 AM EDT
[#15]
anybody know what kind of wind speeds they can expect down there?
Link Posted: 9/2/2004 4:30:59 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
. i just heard it's still 500 miles offshore.

Those $&#^  capitalist pig camera shop owners are rasing prices of super telephoto 500 mile lenses I need to film it.

^&%* price gougers.

Link Posted: 9/2/2004 4:31:57 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
anybody know what kind of wind speeds they can expect down there?

I heard its 140-145 right now (Cat 4) , gusts to 180.

Could go to sustained 156 (Cat 5)

Link Posted: 9/2/2004 4:36:28 AM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 9/2/2004 4:42:57 AM EDT
[#19]
gosh i hope its better than cat 5 down there- otherwise they will be limiterd to only 100 mbps...
Link Posted: 9/2/2004 4:52:54 AM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 9/2/2004 5:03:22 AM EDT
[#21]
I see no ethical problem with what you are proposing.

Just be careful ...

Link Posted: 9/2/2004 5:07:05 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
I don't think so.  The news outlets do it all the time.  How do you think news stringers earn their living?
But, in these situations there can be moral quandaries.  For example, what are you going to do if you're photographing a building being dissected and something falls on a little old lady?  Are you going to keep the cameras rolling or are you going to help the little old lady?
I used to be a photographer.  And it was exactly questions like this one that made me take up commercial photography instead of news photography.  At heart, I was never a news photographer.

WTF kind of question is this.. she shouldn't have been there if she didn't want to get hurricaned!

Besides, how old we talking? 70? 80? That's a pretty good run, anyway
Link Posted: 9/2/2004 5:21:49 AM EDT
[#23]
... With the exception of the potential for human suffering, there are several things in the world I would love to experience.

•  A thermonuclear warhead detonating as close to me as I could stand (just to put things in perspective)
  •  

•  A catagory 5 hurricane from a sturdy building w/bulletproof windows, from one side, through the eye and out the other

•  An F6 (Fujita Scale) tornado, from a secure plexiglass dome half buried in the ground
  •  

•  A full-bore, 10 Richter scale earthquake
  •  

•  A meteor smacking the earth large enough to equal the impact of the Winslow, AZ crater
  •  

... is that wrong?

Link Posted: 9/2/2004 5:35:14 AM EDT
    [#24]
    No. Can you get a shot of my house as it goes by?
    Link Posted: 9/2/2004 5:36:15 AM EDT
    [#25]

Quoted:
    ... With the exception of the potential for human suffering, there are several things in the world I would love to experience.

•  A thermonuclear warhead detonating as close to me as I could stand (just to put things in perspective)
  •  

•  A catagory 5 hurricane from a sturdy building w/bulletproof windows, from one side, through the eye and out the other

•  An F6 (Fujita Scale) tornado, from a secure plexiglass dome half buried in the ground
  •  

•  

•  A meteor smacking the earth large enough to equal the impact of the Winslow, AZ crater
  •  

... is that wrong?

you sick bastard.....
    Link Posted: 9/2/2004 5:37:57 AM EDT
    [#26]
    Link Posted: 9/2/2004 5:38:49 AM EDT
    [#27]

Quoted:

•  

•  

•  

•  

You left out  The Olsen twins in a nude baby oil wrestling contest...

Link Posted: 9/2/2004 5:41:33 AM EDT
    [#28]

Quoted:

Who would want to watch two skeletons groping each other??

Link Posted: 9/2/2004 5:52:50 AM EDT
    [#29]
    garandman, I consider that to be providing a public service. Go ahead, but be careful! Take care of yourself.  
    Link Posted: 9/2/2004 6:35:20 AM EDT
    [#30]

Quoted:
    I strongly disagree with this condemnation of "gouging".  Supply and demand drive pricing, it's unreasonable to expect to get the prices at the low end of the demand cycle when you are actually at the high end of the demand cycle.
    It's not like hurricanes area surprise phenomena in FLA.  People could stock up on the plywood and water and anything else in the off season when prices are low if they had any foresight.  Instead, they wait until a situation which is easy to anticipate is upon them, and then wonder why prices are so much higher.
    Alot of whining, if you ask me.

+1

Living in CA, you stock up on things like water, non-perishable food, batteries and other stuff for earthquake preparedness. And we dont have seasonal earthquakes. I don't have a lot of sympathy for people that live in areas that have somewhat predictable environmental issues and fail to prepare for them.

CW
    Link Posted: 9/2/2004 6:55:18 AM EDT
    [#31]

Quoted:
    This hurricane has potential to be a Cat 5 - the storm of the century.

Storms of this proportion have ALWAYS fascinated me - the power they demonstrate is intoxicating to watch.

Soo, would it be wrong to make a video tape of it, and sell it??

Were I to do something like this, I would donate half the profits to victims relief funds to recover from the hurricane.

Nothing wrong with documenting a storm and profiting afterwards. It's done all the time, and it's not like you're selling gallons of water to devistaed families for $10 a jug.
    Link Posted: 9/2/2004 7:00:36 AM EDT
    [#32]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Who would want to watch two skeletons groping each other??

Me
    Link Posted: 9/2/2004 7:34:24 AM EDT
    [#33]
    I'd have no problem with it, but then again, you could also put me down for every one of the items on Winston_Wolf's list.

I've always been fascinated by these things, and I'd love to see a video documenting the 'sheer power of nature'. Then again, I'd also LOVE to catch a ride with/get good video of  the Hurricane Hunters as they fly in and out of one of these suckers...
    Link Posted: 9/2/2004 7:40:51 AM EDT
    [#34]
    So, if a guy with a strong back was to show up in south florida with a pickup truck and a chainsaw, and whatever supplies he could carry, the day after the storm, how much money could he make at honest labor?

Seriously.
    Link Posted: 9/2/2004 7:44:37 AM EDT
    [#35]

Quoted:
    So, if a guy with a strong back was to show up in south florida with a pickup truck and a chainsaw, and whatever supplies he could carry, the day after the storm, how much money could he make at honest labor?

Seriously.

As much as people would be willing to pay him!  My guess is quite a bit!
    Link Posted: 9/2/2004 7:57:19 AM EDT
    [#36]
    On the Texas Gulf Coast we also have yearly threats of Hurricanes.
    I grew up in Galveston, Texas, home of the worst Natural Disaster in American History:
    6,000+ in one day.....RIP

I think its natures way of free marketing for human animals.....
    but it does create jobs and boost the economy for whatever its worth. Just be insured.

Short Answer:  NO several people will profit it from it....by default
    Link Posted: 9/2/2004 8:02:46 AM EDT
    [#37]
    Neal Boortz wrote up a good article after Charley on "Price Gouging".  Basically he said that low prices mean low supply and high prices mean high supply.  During normal times a sheet of plywood may cost a store $16 and they sell it for $20.  Before a hurricane, they normally sell out so the store has to spend more $ redirecting the supply from somewhere else to the hurricane area.  So now the plywood may cost $24 a sheet.  Any business would be stupid to sell something for $20 that cost them $24.  That's just example so please don't chew me up with the numbers.
    Link Posted: 9/2/2004 8:09:28 AM EDT
    [#38]
    P.S.- I'm planning on "exploiting" the storm tomorrow afternoon, and catching some very rare, good surfing. Woo hooo!!! Bring it on!
    Link Posted: 9/2/2004 8:24:19 AM EDT
    [#39]

Quoted:

Seriously.

Kinda depends.  There are several several things.  Most of the time official won't let NON residents in after a disaster unless under contract......you'll need documentation with an address or otherwise a contract of some sort for work.  Unfortunately there are looters to contend with......
    Lots to be made albeit
    Link Posted: 9/2/2004 8:33:58 AM EDT
    [#40]
    Be sure to video tape it using high def please.
    Link Posted: 9/2/2004 9:27:35 AM EDT
    [#41]

Quoted:
    Be sure to video tape it using high def IMAX please.

Fix it fer ya!
    Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
    Top Top