Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/2/2004 2:17:54 AM EDT
The situation in Russia had me thinking about this. Killing the terrorists is really not that effective. They went in with the intention of dying, so killing them really doesn't deliver a message or prevent future actions. It isn't really a "defeat" for them when they die. What will it take to really deliver a message to these people that this kind of shit will not be tolerated? IMO islam is just BEGGING for a genocide...There's absolutely no way the rest of the world and these people can live in peace unless one or the other of us is destroyed, is there? I guess my question is, what is it going to finally take to let these fools know that it's futile to continue this shit? Is it even possible without just outright destroying all of them?
Link Posted: 9/2/2004 2:30:57 AM EDT
[#1]
Interesting word, "Genocide".  Kind of what I was thinking after reading your post subject.  I sure hope it doesn't come to that, but perhaps it will.
Link Posted: 9/2/2004 2:31:00 AM EDT
[#2]
Genocide.

SGtar15
Link Posted: 9/2/2004 2:31:18 AM EDT
[#3]
The Soviets had a policy of killing the families of dead terrorists. It was very effective.
Link Posted: 9/2/2004 2:43:26 AM EDT
[#4]
Ask the Jews what it takes.

Twice in this century they completely cleaned the clocks of their neighbors, but either showed restraint or were forced to refrain from wiping their enemies from the face of the earth.

Lo and behold, they suffer terror attacks to this day.
Link Posted: 9/2/2004 5:09:58 AM EDT
[#5]
I don't think it IS "Winnable" YET<---------(Depends on if the rest of the world feels threatened enough to act in concert with us to REALLY shut down the threat).

It's a gross over-simplification on my part but essentially, the way I see it is that we've (The world/history/fate ect) "Fast-Forewarded" a culture 500 years into the future (Our present) and given them access to modern technology without the "Liberalization" that SHOULD'VE happened along the way.

The Turks sat on these people for centuries and trapped them culturally to maintain an empire. When the Ottoman empire failed the Brits and French stepped-in and carved the region up to suit THEMSELVES and post WW2 when THOSE influences receded the cold-war (And Soviet backed strong-men) stepped-up and further retarded their progress.

In the void (Of outside rulers) that exists today they've Got a hell of a problem on their hands. They've missed centuries of developement, never had their OWN industrial revolution (The Korans prohibition against interest stiffles investment), Never had a reformation of their religion (The evolution of Sharia effectively stopped after the Turks took over) and NOW, they look around at the rest of the world (Especially the west) and see "Infidels" enjoying liberties and freedoms (As well as very high standards of living comparatively) that they can only dream of at this point and it pisses them off. THEY'RE the "TRUE" followers of God's last prophet and THEY should have these things and for things to have gotten THIS screwed-up for them it MUST be the work of .........(Satan?)?  It's an easy sell for the Imams and clerics who draw power from their third-world congregations.  Israels just a "Side-show" (Albeit an inportant one) to these people   that reinforces their view that "Something's" gone terribly wrong and needs Gods attention (With THEM as his Army).

Short of them being able to accept the idea's of democracy and tolerance (Both of which were in very short supply hundreds of years ago when their progress WAS retarded) and the benefits of them in a generation I'm not sure the world has time to wait for them to catch up (?)  

Right now they're dominated by priests, kings and strong-men like the west was 600 years ago. The difference is that the Pope 600 years ago didn't have an A-Bomb up his sleeve and they just might in a couple more years. A-Bombs, long-range missiles, stagnant, totalitarian governments and 14th century mysticism existing side-by-side with 21st century, secular democracies is a bomb thats had it's fuse lit.

We just don't know how long that fuse is (?)

Link Posted: 9/2/2004 5:10:37 AM EDT
[#6]
See following topic: "The Nepalese are JUDICIOUSLY, burning mosques, and arab based airline offices in revenge"
Link Posted: 9/2/2004 5:11:44 AM EDT
[#7]
I don't know, but the full-scale carpet-nuking of the Middle East would be a good start....
Link Posted: 9/2/2004 5:15:52 AM EDT
[#8]
Fortitude
Link Posted: 9/2/2004 5:21:55 AM EDT
[#9]
per·se·ver·ance  
n.

Steady persistence in adhering to a course of action, a belief, or a purpose; steadfastness.
Link Posted: 9/2/2004 5:33:24 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
I don't know, but the full-scale carpet-nuking of the Middle East would be a good start....

Neutron Bomb to save the oil wells.
Link Posted: 9/2/2004 5:33:32 AM EDT
[#11]
You can never win it bottom line, find one time in history when terror didn't exist. The best thing we can do is protect our own ass.
Link Posted: 9/2/2004 5:41:11 AM EDT
[#12]
I love the buzzword. Terrorism... sort of newspeakish for the same old acts that humans have been perpetrating on each other since the beginning of time...

That being said, until you wipe violence and/or the need for it (just or unjust) itself from the face of the earth, you will never eliminate 'terrorism'.

So no... it's not winnable.... at least unless the alien mother ship descends and starts teaching humans how to behave properly.
Link Posted: 9/2/2004 5:42:39 AM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 9/2/2004 5:43:06 AM EDT
[#14]
... I don't know, but I can damn well bet you John Kerry doesn't either
Link Posted: 9/2/2004 5:48:35 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
Genocide.

SGtar15

I'm fine with that.
Link Posted: 9/2/2004 5:55:24 AM EDT
[#16]
Welcome to your new future.

Ain't it great
Link Posted: 9/2/2004 6:00:04 AM EDT
[#17]
We don't advocate genocide here.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top