Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/1/2004 3:15:11 PM EDT
SO i FIND A GOOD DEAL ON A SONY LAPTOP, THEN AT THE END IT SAYS THIS:
  Sony VAIO® S Series Notebook Configuration Details   1     $ 1,678.65     $ 1,678.65

Subtotal
  $ 1,678.65

Shipping   $ 40.00

Tax   $ 150.38

Total   $ 1,869.03

They added TWO HUNDRED BUCKS to the pruchase price.  JEEEEEEBUZ!  (not going with sony anymore, BTW.

So now, talk me out of this:
www.apple.com/ibook/
Link Posted: 9/1/2004 4:45:19 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 9/1/2004 4:51:53 PM EDT
[#2]
this came up last time too.  MY ONLY PROBLEM IS THE battery life - what is it?  I don't know?  Is there an extended batterry available?
Link Posted: 9/1/2004 5:05:09 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 9/1/2004 6:02:02 PM EDT
[#4]
Well, the whole thing with SWAPPING batteries is annying.  some dells let you have two at once, but that makes them too big.  Son'y extended battery's require a mortgage.....
Link Posted: 9/1/2004 6:30:26 PM EDT
[#5]
Is this going to turn into another tell me what car to buy even though I want a car that doesn't even exist thread?

www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=1&f=5&t=261772
Link Posted: 9/1/2004 6:31:39 PM EDT
[#6]
I have been real happy with the Sony Viao GRV-550 I have been using since last spring.
Link Posted: 9/2/2004 2:17:57 AM EDT
[#7]
Wow phil, hostility again???

Forget it, he's not listening, he wants a damn top fuel rail accelerating F-1 cornering, and 3 wire arrested landing stopping car for pennies.

Let him get a lease, get screwed royally, he won't listen he deserves to take it up the poop chute on the deal.

You guys have tried and tried your hands are clean on this deal.

You're gonna get it dry and hard kiddo.

It's sad.

I still don't understand what you mean/meant by a car that doesn't exist.  There are only 8 or 9 that fit my criteria......  You can take your snide comments and shove them up your

poop chute
Link Posted: 9/3/2004 5:26:46 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
www.apple.com/ibook/

I have a 12 inch iBook, which is why I recommended the 12 inch Powerbook...

Don't get me wrong - I dearly love the lil' thing, but the mechanical design isn't as solid as the Powerbook. In particular, on the iBook, Apple uses a single, narrow, plastic, center-mounted hinge to join the top and bottom together - not a very strong arrangement. Nobody uses just one small hinge to hang a fence gate or barn door, and for good reason!

On the Powerbooks, it's a wide, metal hinge - not quite as solid as using two separate hinges at the extreme corners of the case, but still a major improvement.

Also, the G3 iBooks had a persistant problem with the logic board self-destructing every 6 months or so. Apple has a repair program in place that fixes them for free (even if they're no longer in warranty), but it's still a pain to be without your computer for up to 2 weeks. Reportedly, the G4 version uses an entirely different logic board, and seems to have been trouble-free so far. The Powerbooks, meanwhile, have had a spotless reliability record all along.

Powerbook's just a little beefier design, IMO.
Link Posted: 9/3/2004 5:38:26 PM EDT
[#9]
Wife's got a less than one year old Vaio... My 4 year old Powerbook's battery life aces it.

The Vaio's OK if you're into PCs.
Link Posted: 9/3/2004 5:41:17 PM EDT
[#10]
all I want is this one, sometimes less is more.
Link Posted: 9/3/2004 5:45:52 PM EDT
[#11]
That's the way the internet goes.  So long as your vendor has any  brock and mortar presence in your state, you'll be paying tax.

Buy the iBook, you'll be happy.  I'm very happy with mine... battery life is good, and MacOS X is a joy to work with.  To beat the tax issue, buy from a smaller vendor with no presence in your state.  I bought my iBook from www.smalldog.com, and was very pleased with their service.
Link Posted: 9/11/2004 1:49:24 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Forget it, he's not listening, he wants a damn top fuel rail accelerating F-1 cornering, and 3 wire arrested landing stopping car for pennies.

Let him get a lease, get screwed royally, he won't listen he deserves to take it up the poop chute on the deal.

It's sad.

I still don't understand what you mean/meant by a car that doesn't exist.  There are only 8 or 9 that fit my criteria......  You can take your snide comments and shove them up your

poop chute

Damn straight you get hostility, you're a frikkiin

So tell us what 8 or 9 cars met your ever changing criteria?  Hmmmmmmmmmm?
What did you get?  Hmmmmmmmmmm?

Your question are tired, your constant edits are tiresome.

Link Posted: 9/11/2004 2:02:16 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Quoted:

It's sad.

poop chute

Damn straight you get hostility, you're a frikkiin

So tell us what 8 or 9 cars met your ever changing criteria?  Hmmmmmmmmmm?
What did you get?  Hmmmmmmmmmm?

Your question are tired, your constant edits are tiresome.

He sure can explain the difference between a rocket and a missile though!

Link Posted: 9/11/2004 2:04:39 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
SO i FIND A GOOD DEAL ON A SONY LAPTOP, THEN AT THE END IT SAYS THIS:
  Sony VAIO® S Series Notebook Configuration Details   1     $ 1,678.65     $ 1,678.65

Subtotal
  $ 1,678.65

Shipping   $ 40.00

Tax   $ 150.38

Total   $ 1,869.03

They added TWO HUNDRED BUCKS to the pruchase price.  JEEEEEEBUZ!  (not going with sony anymore, BTW.

www.apple.com/ibook/

Um apple charges taxes as well online. I just paid over $600 in taxes
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top