Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/31/2004 6:00:11 PM EDT
Arg I hate these things, I had to ride out Charlee a few weeks ago in southwest florida, that was bad. Now i'm in the northeastern part of flordia so I don't have to worry about Frances at all, BUT the bastard decided to to make his appearance on laborday weekend, and I wanted to go home!
So my question is: should I risk going back to southwest florida for the weekend? I'm talking about the Fort Myers area. The main reason I want to go is to see my Fiancee' who's shipping out to the ARMY on Sep. 30th, and I want to see her as much as possible before she leaves. (this is NOT cloningbagles)

what do you guys think?
Link Posted: 8/31/2004 6:04:06 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 8/31/2004 6:14:38 PM EDT
[#2]
Watch what it does you will have time to go South, Most people leaving will go North and West. Same place you are in Well I live here in Jacksonville I will stay here  with the House.
Link Posted: 8/31/2004 6:21:49 PM EDT
[#3]
I don't know where in the north east part of FL you are, but you might ewant to think about bugging out. This storm is huge, and anywhere north of where it hits ain't gonna be pretty. I live on the central coast (Treasure Coast) and am really sweating this storm. They keep playing with the model, and Vero Beach (where I live) north to the cape look like the target area. Some project it to landfall as far north as Jacksonville.
Link Posted: 8/31/2004 6:22:06 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 8/31/2004 6:36:23 PM EDT
[#5]
Here's a map of my intentions: (let see if it'll work, hunt101's upload is down right now)

In case of a Red X, here's the source

Link Posted: 8/31/2004 6:41:58 PM EDT
[#6]
This can go the same route as Charlie, it could change direction in two hours and slam the folks who aren't prepared. Don't play games, if possible get the fiance and get out of Dodge for a romantic getaway in Alabama. I'm in N Central FL and I'm sweating it. I've got preparations but what good will they be if the walls aren't standing? Can't evac., will have to ride it out. If you live in an apartment, get the fuck out of the way and don't wait until the last minute. Worst you've lost is some gas and a motel bill.
Link Posted: 8/31/2004 6:42:46 PM EDT
[#7]
To early to call for sure but if I was you I'd go. Southwest looks safest to me but you know these things can change course quick. By Thursday night you should know much better but its still a tough call.
Link Posted: 8/31/2004 6:46:53 PM EDT
[#8]
Just remember, they can change like Andrew did.  Andrew was following the same path and turned directly west and slammed into Homestead.  

Good luck.
Link Posted: 8/31/2004 6:54:46 PM EDT
[#9]
alrighty, I guess I'll see how it turns out as the week progressess....

GOOD LUCK FELLOW FLORIDIANS!!!!!
Link Posted: 8/31/2004 6:56:50 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
To early to call for sure but if I was you I'd go. Southwest looks safest to me but you know these things can change course quick. By Thursday night you should know much better but its still a tough call.

I read a site earlier today, that said there was a chance it could shift a little west, and hit deep south florida.  This storm has enough strength and speed that it could push all the way across the peninsula and make it into the gulf of mexico.  We are watching it too.  We feel for you.
Link Posted: 9/1/2004 3:08:28 PM EDT
[#11]
UPDATE

I'm going to do it. I'm going down south. I just have to see her more before she leaves. And perhaps this way I can help my parents recover from the damage if there is any...A few prayers for us and all floridians would be appreciated. I'm leaving tomorrow morning.
Link Posted: 9/1/2004 3:16:11 PM EDT
[#12]
Good luck, bro. I'm flying into Fort Lauderdale and may very well ride out the storm in a hotel in Miramar/Pembroke Pines.

Hope they give me a room with a good view....
Link Posted: 9/1/2004 3:35:21 PM EDT
[#13]
i managed to snag hurricane watch on the charleston coast....lucky me
Link Posted: 9/1/2004 4:52:00 PM EDT
[#14]
If you're old lady is leaving for the Army the least you can do is go see her, hurricane or not.
Link Posted: 9/1/2004 9:30:40 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
If you're old lady is leaving for the Army the least you can do is go see her, hurricane or not.

indeed my friend....no wind on earth is going spoil that!
Link Posted: 9/1/2004 9:46:59 PM EDT
[#16]
Hang in there East Coasters
Do the right thing
Link Posted: 9/1/2004 10:00:21 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
.. i'm in the northeastern part of flordia so I don't have to worry about Frances at all,

Not so.

BUT the bastard decided to to make his appearance on laborday weekend, and I wanted to go home!

So my question is: should I risk going back to southwest florida for the weekend?

The main reason I want to go is to see my Fiancee' who's shipping out to the ARMY on Sep. 30th,

what do you guys think?

Saw below that your going down.  That's may or may not be good.  We saw how Charlie turned.  But you have more options to evade in Jacksonville than in Miami.  

How could you even think of leaving your Fiance' and Parents down there without you or not getting them out now?  Get 'em out, and close to you.  But only if they have enough time to get well clear of any path of the storm.  
By all accounts, this will be the worst we've seen in a long time.  Including Charlie and Andrew.
Damn, I sure hope all accounts are wrong.

Link Posted: 9/7/2004 7:34:17 PM EDT
[#18]
Well I just got back to tallahassee. Man, after riding out charley two weeks ago, this thing was a joke in comparison. East coast floridians weren't as lucky as I though.
I'm very very glad I made that trip down there. A little rain and wind was worth seeing her.
Thanks for the help guys!
-Lockedon
Link Posted: 9/7/2004 9:39:05 PM EDT
[#19]
Leave it boarded up till Ivan passes.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top