Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/30/2004 8:15:52 AM EDT
Well, OK, maybe not one of our own, but formerly one of our own.

Link

Guardsman accused of trying to help al-Qaida scheduled for court martial

Melanthia Mitchell,  Associated Press
August 30, 2004
SEATTLE -- The defense for Spc. Ryan Anderson faces a black-and-white challenge: The tank crewman is shown on videotape willingly sharing military information with federal undercover agents he believed to be al-Qaida members.
Anderson, 27, was set to begin his court martial today on charges he tried to help the terrorist group. The trial at Fort Lewis, south of Seattle, was expected to last five days.
Anderson pleaded innocent Aug. 9 to five counts of trying to provide the al-Qaida terrorist network with information about U.S. troop strength and tactics, as well as methods for killing American soldiers.
Anderson, a member of the Washington National Guard's 81st Armor Brigade now in Iraq, faces life in prison without parole. A conviction requires agreement by two-thirds of a panel of commissioned officers.
Anderson, a Muslim convert, has requested that his general court martial be heard by commissioned officers rather than a judge or a mixed panel of officers and enlisted soldiers.
``He's making a tactical decision. They believe the officers, given this type of charge, will give him the fair shake,'' said David Sheldon, a Washington, D.C., attorney who specializes in military law.
Specifics of the case have been guarded, with Anderson's attorney, Maj. Joseph Morse, and military prosecutor, Maj. Chris Jenks, refusing to comment.
It's not known what evidence the defense will offer or who will testify on Anderson's behalf.
In June, Morse was denied a request that the government pay for a psychologist to help prepare his case. Judge Col. Debra Boudreau said the defense was free to pay one on its own.
Fort Lewis officials have not said whether Anderson has undergone a psychological evaluation.
Such an expert would help determine whether Anderson understands his conduct was wrong, said Sheldon, and therefore whether he should be held criminally responsible.
``In any federal court where this type of issue was litigated an expert would be provided,'' Sheldon said. ``In a military court, sadly, this type of result is the routine, not the exception.''
Anderson was raised Lutheran but began studying Islam while attending Washington State University.
Anderson caught the attention of federal agents last year with help from a Montana city judge, Shannen Rossmiller.
Rossmiller, of Conrad, Mont., testified at Anderson's Article 32 hearing in May that she monitors the Web for signs of extremist or terrorist activity. She said she came across a posting in October on a Muslim-oriented site by an ``Amir Abdul Rashid.''
Several Internet searches linked the name and e-mail address to Anderson, she said. Rossmiller said that when she posted a phony declaration for jihad against the United States, Rashid wrote back.
``He was curious if a brother fighting on the wrong side could join or defect,'' she testified.
Soon Anderson was text messaging a federal agent he believed was a member of al-Qaida. The conversations culminated in a meeting with two undercover investigators at a parking lot near the Space Needle in Seattle. The hour-long discussion was secretly recorded Feb. 9, just days before Anderson was to deploy to Iraq.
On the video, Anderson offers sketches and information about weaknesses in the M1A1 Abrams, the Army's primary battle tank.
``While I love my country, I think the leaders have taken this horrible road,'' he said on the video. ``I have no belief in what the American Army has asked me to do. They have sent me to die.''
Anderson was arrested at Fort Lewis three days after the meeting.

What was his handle, Muslim Mike?
Link Posted: 8/30/2004 8:20:27 AM EDT
[#1]
This piece of sh*t was NEVER one of us! One of "us" could not, and would not under any circumstances provide information to the enemies of freedom that would be useful in killing the men and women who proudly and bravely defend this nation!

Please change the title of this thread as I find highly offensive and infuriating!

Link Posted: 8/30/2004 8:20:28 AM EDT
[#2]
Traitor.
Link Posted: 8/30/2004 8:23:42 AM EDT
[#3]
I will donate the bullet to put between his eyes.
Link Posted: 8/30/2004 8:38:30 AM EDT
[#4]
I hope they execute the prick.
Link Posted: 8/30/2004 8:56:43 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 8/30/2004 8:57:41 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
This piece of sh*t was NEVER one of us! One of "us" could not, and would not under any circumstances provide information to the enemies of freedom that would be useful in killing the men and women who proudly and bravely defend this nation!

Please change the title of this thread as I find highly offensive and infuriating!

What he said.

I'd kill the guy myself if they let me.

SGtar15
Link Posted: 8/30/2004 8:59:53 AM EDT
[#7]
One of US??!!??  WTF?  What gives you that impression?  Pond scum to the fullest extent!
Link Posted: 8/30/2004 9:01:19 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
I will donate the bullet to put between his eyes.

And I'll volunteer to put it there.
Link Posted: 8/30/2004 9:02:51 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
One of US??!!??  WTF?  What gives you that impression?  Pond scum to the fullest extent!

He used to post here, under the nick RebelGrey, if I recall correctly...so, theoretically, yes, the subject of the above article was technically "one of us".

I don't know about execution, but dropping him off at Leavenworth for the next 30 years would be pretty damn punishing. Especially when everyone there learns why he's a guest there.
Link Posted: 8/30/2004 9:04:30 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
Well, OK, maybe not one of our own, but formerly one of our own.

What was his handle, Muslim Mike?

I have been reading that it was something like Rebel_Grey
Link Posted: 8/30/2004 9:05:27 AM EDT
[#11]

Anderson, a Muslim convert, has requested that his general court martial be heard by commissioned officers rather than a judge or a mixed panel of officers and enlisted soldiers.
``He's making a tactical decision. They believe the officers, given this type of charge, will give him the fair shake,'' said David Sheldon, a Washington, D.C., attorney who specializes in military law.

What exactly is his strategy here?
Link Posted: 8/30/2004 9:10:03 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:

He used to post here, under the nick RebelGrey, if I recall correctly...so, theoretically, yes, the subject of the above article was technically "one of us".

I don't know about execution, but dropping him off at Leavenworth for the next 30 years would be pretty damn punishing. Especially when everyone there learns why he's a guest there.

I was unaware of that fact.  Thank you for the clarification.  I still wouldn't categorize himas one of us though (as you have stated).
Link Posted: 8/30/2004 2:21:47 PM EDT
[#13]

Anderson, a Muslim convert,......

With a screen name of "RebelGray" , this guy had/has some serious issues.
I do remember when he used to post here, he will not be missed.
Link Posted: 8/30/2004 3:51:57 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
Traitor.

yup, he should be killed
Link Posted: 8/30/2004 7:39:29 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
I was unaware of that fact.  Thank you for the clarification.  I still wouldn't categorize himas one of us though (as you have stated).

"One of us" was understood by me to mean a member of the board, nothing more.

Just my intrepretation.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top