Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/30/2004 6:05:09 AM EDT
Well the old desktop has bit the dust. It started crashing with error messages about the hardware divers. Now it will not even boot up. Won't even boot up w the restore disc (I guess the drivers in question were for the disc drives!). I'm gonna get a new desktop, prolly.
I've a lot of stuff on the old machine that I really , really need: especially Lotus Notes I use for telecommuting (side job).
I was thinking about having Best Buy just put the old hard drive in a new machine as an extra drive. I would think my old apps would still work.
Any thoughts?
Zack

P.S. Stress level down. Thanks for all the kind words guys!
Link Posted: 8/30/2004 6:10:44 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 8/30/2004 6:25:02 AM EDT
[#2]
If it won't even boot up w/ the restore disks, you might be in trouble. There are companies out there
who recover data from crashed drives, but we're talking $$$$$. I hope you had backup disks!
Link Posted: 8/30/2004 6:27:56 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
Well the old desktop has bit the dust. It started crashing with error messages about the hardware divers. Now it will not even boot up. Won't even boot up w the restore disc (I guess the drivers in question were for the disc drives!). I'm gonna get a new desktop, prolly.
I've a lot of stuff on the old machine that I really , really need: especially Lotus Notes I use for telecommuting (side job).
I was thinking about having Best Buy just put the old hard drive in a new machine as an extra drive. I would think my old apps would still work.
Any thoughts?
Zack
P.S. Stress level down. Thanks for all the kind words guys!

Unless you reinstall Lotus Notes in the proper way (so the OS knows where everything is) it might not work. Sometimes you can copy all the relevant registry entries from an old OS about the install to a new one, and get it working, but that's tricky.

If you don't have the install disc(s), you can usually find stuff like that on ebay cheap.

If you have user data on the drive you need to recover, install it in the new machine as a second drive, and see if you can access it. If so, copy everything off IMMEDIATELY.

If you can't read the drive, even in the new machine, use a data recovery tool like SpinRite. www.grc.com
Link Posted: 8/30/2004 7:46:00 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
If you can't read the drive, even in the new machine, use a data recovery tool like SpinRite. www.grc.com

+1 to the GRC site. Steve is good people.
Link Posted: 8/30/2004 10:39:35 AM EDT
[#5]
Thanx. WIll go to best buy tomorrow.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top