Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 8/29/2004 6:26:43 PM EDT
I have seen a lot of rumbling on some other websites that Indian Larry crashed while doing his stunt of standing on the seat of his bike.  I have been told that he is in a coma.

I cannot confirm this at all.

Has anybody heard anything like this?

UPDATE

www.indianlarry.com/

Rest In Peace my friend!
Link Posted: 8/29/2004 6:45:16 PM EDT
[#1]
What a dumbass.  I have seen him do this stunt on tv.  I thought it was a matter of time.

Bobwrench
Link Posted: 8/29/2004 6:46:36 PM EDT
[#2]
tag
Link Posted: 8/29/2004 6:49:10 PM EDT
[#3]
I'm sure there are a few people on the site who might know. He is a bad ass builder.
Link Posted: 8/29/2004 6:50:26 PM EDT
[#4]
I'm still looking to confirm this..there is a thread about it on another site that sounds pretty real.  I was hoping the ARFCOM Internet wizards could help me comfirm this or tell me I'm FOS.

I hope it's not true, because I have been in awe of Larry's work for years.  He is very talented.

I'm hoping the rumours are BS.

Here is the link, which was linked from another site.  This could all be BS.

www.network54.com/Forum/13357

There are many posts, keep scrolling down the list.

I have never seen this site before and it may be a load of crap.  
Link Posted: 8/29/2004 6:59:29 PM EDT
[#5]
From Easyriding.net.

August 29, 2004
I have just received some devastating news this morning from a reliable source. This is the kind of information that I never want to hear at 10 am Sunday morning. Indian Larry has gotten into a fatal accident last night while doing one of his famous stunts. He was surfing on his bike when he fell and hit his head. This happens at the Liquid Steel Classic Rally in Concord, North Carolina. The information is still sketchy at the moment, I got words that Larry is technically brain dead at a local hospital in NC. I am sorry to have to be the bearer of bad news but I hope you all can help pray for Larry. He will be missed as an respected icon in the motorcycle industry. I had the good fortune to hang out and do shoots for Larry a few times. Larry was a kind person just as you have seen him on the Discovery Channel and at the rallies. I know many of you who have had your photos taken with Larry can agree on the same thing. What a shame!

Still looking for more info.
Link Posted: 8/30/2004 3:57:38 AM EDT
[#6]
http://www.charlotte.com/mld/observer/news/local/9533189.htm

Posted on Mon, Aug. 30, 2004

'Indian Larry' hurt on stunt in Cabarrus

Builder of custom motorcycles airlifted from county arena

MARK PRICE

Staff Writer

A custom-motorcycle builder known to Discovery Channel viewers as Indian Larry was seriously injured while performing a stunt Saturday at the Cabarrus Arena and Events Center.

Cabarrus County officials said the stunt driver sustained head injuries and was in critical condition after being airlifted to Carolinas Medical Center. A CMC official couldn't confirm his condition.

Indian Larry has been featured on Discovery's Biker Build-Off television series and was at the arena to perform stunts during the three-day Liquid Steel Classic and Custom Bike Series.

"He was riding and standing up on his seat," said Mike Downs, Cabarrus County deputy county manager. "The bike started to wobble and he was not able to regain control."

Indian Larry fell off the bike before a crowd of about 8,000. He was not wearing a helmet. Paramedics were standing by at and aided him until he could be airlifted to CMC, Downs said.

The show continued, but all other stunts were canceled, Downs said.

Indian Larry is known for his eccentric nature, according to his official Web site. His résumé includes movie, video and television.

Link Posted: 8/30/2004 4:07:55 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 8/30/2004 4:21:56 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 8/30/2004 4:30:08 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
we used to seat surf on our harleys all the time...it was no big deal.

did this indian larry guy do it at very high speeds or something?

i thought all bikers had surfed a few times?

Ditto on the surfing, however doing it on customs w/ springer & linker type front ends ain't something I ever did.

The one time I saw him doing it on TV he was motoring about 55 or 60 looked like....... on a springer equipped hog.

Noticed article says he was in the arena, perhaps he should have checked out the surface better, still a shame as he was old school scooter trash and a heck of a builder.

Mike
Link Posted: 8/30/2004 4:32:05 AM EDT
[#10]
My dad always said..."Oh yeah, it looks cool until someone gets hurt"

I will say I always enjoyed watching Indian Larry on TV but it always made me cringe when he stood up on the seat of his bike.
Link Posted: 8/30/2004 4:39:40 AM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 8/30/2004 4:47:32 AM EDT
[#12]
just read somewhere else (discovery.com message board)- that he is no longer with us
Link Posted: 8/30/2004 5:08:57 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
we used to seat surf on our harleys all the time...it was no big deal.

did this indian larry guy do it at very high speeds or something?

i thought all bikers had surfed a few times?

i use to a lot on the gixxer, but i have since settled down a bit
Link Posted: 8/30/2004 5:10:07 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
http://www.charlotte.com/mld/observer/news/local/9533189.htm

Posted on Mon, Aug. 30, 2004

'Indian Larry' hurt on stunt in Cabarrus

Builder of custom motorcycles airlifted from county arena

MARK PRICE

Staff Writer

A custom-motorcycle builder known to Discovery Channel viewers as Indian Larry was seriously injured while performing a stunt Saturday at the Cabarrus Arena and Events Center.

Cabarrus County officials said the stunt driver sustained head injuries and was in critical condition after being airlifted to Carolinas Medical Center. A CMC official couldn't confirm his condition.

Indian Larry has been featured on Discovery's Biker Build-Off television series and was at the arena to perform stunts during the three-day Liquid Steel Classic and Custom Bike Series.

"He was riding and standing up on his seat," said Mike Downs, Cabarrus County deputy county manager. "The bike started to wobble and he was not able to regain control."

Indian Larry fell off the bike before a crowd of about 8,000. He was not wearing a helmet. Paramedics were standing by at and aided him until he could be airlifted to CMC, Downs said.

The show continued, but all other stunts were canceled, Downs said.

Indian Larry is known for his eccentric nature, according to his official Web site. His résumé includes movie, video and television.

Thanks for finding a news article that confirms the news I heard earlier.  I hope this all works out for the best.

I've spoken with Larry a few times in the past.  He is a hell of nice guy, with quite a history behind him.  He builds some great bikes.
Link Posted: 8/30/2004 5:13:33 AM EDT
[#15]
My guess, he has died. Alot of activity are more then just the Discovery site.
He was on life support as far as I know last night.
Link Posted: 8/30/2004 5:19:37 AM EDT
[#16]
That's too bad.
It's better to go that way, doing what you love, than die inch by inch being old.
Link Posted: 8/30/2004 5:46:44 AM EDT
[#17]
In God We Trust
Vengence Is Mine Sayeth The Lord
No Fear                                              

-inscription tattooed backwards on Indian Larry's neck

Link Posted: 8/30/2004 7:36:24 AM EDT
[#18]
Custom bike-builder seriously injured in crash
The Associated Press

CHARLOTTE, N.C. -- A custom motorcycle builder known for his appearances on cable's Discovery Channel was hospitalized after crashing during a weekend stunt at an arena outside Charlotte.

"Indian Larry" was appearing at a three-day motorcycle event at the Cabarrus Arena and Events Center, the Liquid Steel Classic and Custom Bike Series. A crowd of about 8,000 was watching him perform a stunt Saturday in which he stood on the seat of a moving motorcycle, when the bike began to wobble and was unable to regain control of it, said Mike Downs, the county's deputy manager.

County officials said Indian Larry, who was not wearing a helmet, suffered head injuries and was in critical condition when he was airlifted to Carolinas Medical Center in Charlotte.

Because Indian Larry's full name was not immediately available, hospital officials said federal privacy laws prevented them from updating his medical condition Monday; a message left at his Brooklyn, N.Y., headquarters was not immediately returned.

Indian Larry, who has appeared in movies and television shows, has been featured on the Discovery Channel's Biker Build-Off series, in which well-known motorcycle builders design and build bikes from scratch, then have them judged by motorcycle aficionados.

http://www.heraldtribune.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20040830/APN/408300701
Link Posted: 8/30/2004 7:43:25 AM EDT
[#19]
RIP Indian Larry
Link Posted: 8/30/2004 7:49:36 AM EDT
[#20]
I hope Discovery Channel (now known as the "Monster Garage/Bike Channel") runs a piece on this. I'm sorry if the guy died, but kids watch this stuff all the time (are they selling Jesse James lunchbuckets yet?) and if Discovery will own up and say "don't hotdog on a bike with no helmet, look what happened to this guy" then maybe it will not be in vain.

Link Posted: 8/30/2004 7:53:29 AM EDT
[#21]

"Indian Larry's inspiration was 50's - 60's motorcycle clubs, Ed "Big Daddy" Roth and the legendary, Von Dutch. The skilled machinist, metal-sculptor and master motorcycle mechanic won countless custom shows, participated in motorcycle racing, and originated the hard-core motorcycle style - a blend between classic choppers and hotrod race bikes. Indian Larry's resume includes movie, video, television, and magazine spreads. His eccentric nature combined with a unique and colorful appeal has gathered great interest from media, producing a fanatic fan base. Larry can be found around beautiful women, tattoos, motorcycles, and the Coney Island Polar Bear Club."

Link Posted: 8/30/2004 7:57:22 AM EDT
[#22]
RIP Indian Larry - you built some sweet bikes!

Link Posted: 8/30/2004 8:03:45 AM EDT
[#23]
Without a helmet... Dumb.  Talent wasted.  RIP
Link Posted: 8/30/2004 8:03:48 AM EDT
[#24]
Some information...
bikergazette.com/
Link Posted: 8/30/2004 8:09:40 AM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 8/30/2004 8:13:12 AM EDT
[#26]

He was not wearing a helmet.

The fact he suffered a critical brain injury is the direct result of not wearing a helmet. Maybe all the "hardcore" biker types will rethink their idiotic anti-helmet attitude.
Link Posted: 8/30/2004 8:13:36 AM EDT
[#27]
interesting writing over there at bikergazete
Link Posted: 8/30/2004 8:27:11 AM EDT
[#28]
BTT
Link Posted: 8/30/2004 8:33:20 AM EDT
[#29]
RIP.  

He knew the risks of riding without a helmet and STANDING on the seat of his moving bike but that was his choice.  Thats the way he chose to live and he didn't hurt anyone elso, so I can respect his choice even though you would not catch me riding without a helmet and STANDING on the seat neither.
Link Posted: 8/30/2004 8:38:19 AM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

The fact he suffered a critical brain injury is the direct result of not wearing a helmet. Maybe all the "hardcore" biker types will rethink their idiotic anti-helmet attitude.

REALLY? I kinda figure the BRAIN INJURY would be cause by the IMPACT AT THE CRASH!

If your head slams into the pavement or a curb at highway speeds, a helmet will not help you
Link Posted: 8/30/2004 8:41:16 AM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

Quoted:

REALLY? I kinda figure the BRAIN INJURY would be cause by the IMPACT AT THE CRASH!

If your head slams into the pavement or a curb at highway speeds, a helmet will not help you

OOOOOOOKkkkkk................

A helmet provides a specifically designed barrier between your head and the pavement. How would that not help again?????????
Link Posted: 8/30/2004 8:44:21 AM EDT
[#32]

You go on believing that nonsense, such a statement is proof Darwin was right.
Link Posted: 8/30/2004 8:45:47 AM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:
Maybe all the "hardcore" biker types will rethink their idiotic anti-helmet attitude.

I think the "anti-helmet" thing is more of a stand against forcing people by law to wear helmets. I know plenty of people who feel that way, yet STILL wear their helmets because it's smart.  Just don't make me by law.
Link Posted: 8/30/2004 8:52:15 AM EDT
[#34]
No problem with no helmets (as long as you have insurance so the rest of us don't have to pay for your long-term care)
Link Posted: 8/30/2004 8:53:11 AM EDT
[#35]
RIP
He made his choices and lived the life.

I will spill one for him tonight.
Link Posted: 8/30/2004 8:56:08 AM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:

I bounced head first at 40mph.  Trust me..a helmet makes ALL the differance in the world dumbass!

SGtar15
Link Posted: 8/30/2004 8:56:27 AM EDT
[#37]
Link Posted: 8/30/2004 8:58:25 AM EDT
[#38]
Until they make nerf pavement, you won't see me 'surfing'.
Link Posted: 8/30/2004 8:59:32 AM EDT
[#39]
Link Posted: 8/30/2004 9:01:06 AM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Tell that to all of the motorcycle racers who walk away from crashes on a daily basis at speeds FAR in excess of highway speeds.
Link Posted: 8/30/2004 9:01:09 AM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:
Maybe all the "hardcore" biker types will rethink their idiotic anti-helmet attitude.

I doubt it.
Link Posted: 8/30/2004 9:07:30 AM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I bounced head first at 40mph.  Trust me..a helmet makes ALL the differance in the world dumbass!

SGtar15

Easy… the world needs organ donors.
Link Posted: 8/30/2004 9:08:51 AM EDT
[#43]
Helmets are a choice, I just dont like a law telling me that I have to wear a lid

I do because I have younger kids that depend on me, but I sure like riding w/o

Indian Larry, well all I can say he now knows the real truth....
Link Posted: 8/30/2004 9:10:52 AM EDT
[#44]
Link Posted: 8/30/2004 9:21:04 AM EDT
[#45]
lets something,

I will push you over and let you hit your head on the cement with and without a helmet- you tell me if a helmet helps at all
Link Posted: 8/30/2004 9:34:52 AM EDT
[#46]
I don't have a problem with bikers not wearing a helmet. Free choice. But I don't feel you should be given tax payer money to keep your brainless body on life support either. I just look at it as thinning the gene pool.
Link Posted: 8/30/2004 9:35:45 AM EDT
[#47]
Link Posted: 8/30/2004 9:37:02 AM EDT
[#48]
In Illinois, we do not have any helemt laws.  We have every other restriction you can think of, but for some reason there are no helmet laws.

I wear a helmet when I ride.  I know it won't protect me in all cases, but I know that I am better off with the helmet.
Link Posted: 8/30/2004 9:37:39 AM EDT
[#49]
Link Posted: 8/30/2004 9:44:47 AM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Tell that to all of the motorcycle racers who walk away from crashes on a daily basis at speeds FAR in excess of highway speeds.

This isn't really a valid argument for either side. Falling off a bike going 150mph doesn't mean that your head directly impacts the concrete going 150mph. It is possible to fall out of bed and hit your head harder on the nightstand than you would in a 100mph motorcycle crash.

I can guarantee you, if you hit your head on the concrete with an impact velocity of 75mph, you will have some type of brain trauma, helmet or no helmet. But the difference between having or not having the helmet on might be the difference between dying or just having your bell rung.

Yeah, being in a 150 mph accident doesnt meant he impact speed is 150 mph, but that goes without saying.  Most motorcycle accidents dont have huge impact forces unless you run into something. Generally involves a couple hard bounces and a lot of skidding. But lots of variables in an accident. A fairly small force can be deadly if applied in the right way, and a huge force can be harmless under certain circumstances.

The fact is that motorcycle racers wear helmets because they work, and they have been proven to work, in action many times. That's all the proof I need that helmets help.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top