Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/29/2004 2:50:12 PM EDT
I'm trying to do a clean format of my hard drive.  I'm running Windows XP prof.  I did it the first time with the cd and it didn't erase any of my programs or files.  Anyone a computer geek that can give me instructions for a complete format and a clean install?

Thanks
Link Posted: 8/29/2004 2:51:45 PM EDT
[#1]
When you do it it has to choices, pick the correct one.
Link Posted: 8/29/2004 2:53:28 PM EDT
[#2]
Boot to the XP cd, hit enter to install, f8 for license agreement, skip the option to repair the current installation.  It'll give you a list of partitions (you should only have 1 unless you've setup more in the past).  Delete it.  Hit enter to install on the unpartitioned space and it will automatically create one using the maximum size.  Then it'll give you formatting options, choose NTFS, the rest is all pretty much self explanitory.
Link Posted: 8/29/2004 2:56:08 PM EDT
[#3]
When you boot to the XP CD you should come up to a screen that has the C:\ partion highlighted.

Press "D" to delete the current partiton. Go through the next prompts, "enter" and "L" I believe.

You should now be back at the original screen listing unpartitoned space instead of c:\.

Press "enter" and then select "Format using NTFS" not the quick option.
Link Posted: 8/29/2004 2:57:20 PM EDT
[#4]
Thanks guys,  I'll give it a try.  I may be back if I still can't figure it out.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top