Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/29/2004 9:17:35 AM EDT
Whilst there seems to be much focus on the .50 cal and ammo purchase laws, just to let you know that there is some sense knocking around up there as well... It's not all bad.

Actually, I've found that California politicians usually do quite well by servicemen. I've even seen Feinstein pull her weight in order to have laws bent for military personnel.

Apparently California is currently rushing through legislation which will make it only the third or fourth state to permit marriage by proxy.

This is being done to permit a Marine 2LT on duty in Iraq and who cannot return to the US to marry his fiancee before the birth of their daughter next month. (There are apparently certain benefits for the kid which only become available if the father was married to the mother at time of birth).

Stars and Stripes also mentions that there are rumours that Arnie might stand in for the groom.

NTM
Link Posted: 8/29/2004 9:21:15 AM EDT
[#1]
of course they are rushing for this one, it benefits someone who isn't already a citizen.
fuck kalifornia
fuck feinstein

seems like the weapons bills are being pushed through the senate quick because the dems see an oportunity to take advantage of arnie.... this is really sucking.
as soon as i pcs, im getting residency in a REAL state.
if they really wanted to show gratitude to the CA residents in the military, they'd stop makin us pay taxes, or some such way to show real appreciation.
Link Posted: 8/29/2004 9:24:21 AM EDT
[#2]
Cynic. Heaven forbid that a USMC person might want to marry a non-US citizen. Should it matter?

NTM
Link Posted: 8/29/2004 9:26:32 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
seems like the weapons bills are being pushed through the senate quick because the dems see an oportunity to take advantage of arnie.... this is really sucking.

That is why Kali-fornia is paying Arnie the big bucks(ha ha.. as though he really needs the money), but Arnie's there to make the really tough descisions(PC-speak for bringing some more sanity to CA laws, unlike Davis who pretty rubber stamp what the legislature does). Remember Arnie asked for the job and it comes with the territory.
Link Posted: 8/29/2004 9:38:46 AM EDT
[#4]

seems like the weapons bills are being pushed through the senate quick because the dems used illegal double-voting on a re-vote after the original vote in the Senate was 36/35 to kill the bill

There you go.
Link Posted: 8/29/2004 10:23:18 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

seems like the weapons bills are being pushed through the senate quick because the dems used illegal double-voting on a re-vote after the original vote in the Senate was 36/35 to kill the bill

There you go.

I thought it was ghost voting?  Two totally different beasts.

All bills are being rushed so that the Republican lawmakers can attend the Republican national convention .
Link Posted: 8/29/2004 10:34:18 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
of course they are rushing for this one, it benefits someone who isn't already a citizen.
fuck kalifornia
fuck feinstein

WTF are you griping about?  It is helping out a U.S. Marine in Iraq and his baby.  Fuck Kalifornia, stupid ass response. Texas, Montana, and Colorado all ready allow this.
Link Posted: 8/29/2004 10:42:53 AM EDT
[#7]
Just wait!  Paul is going to chime in and tell us all to piss off!
Link Posted: 8/29/2004 4:25:14 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Quoted:

There you go.

All bills are being rushed so that the Republican lawmakers can attend the Republican national convention .

You're right, it IS totally different.

Ghost-voting is where you rig YOUR OWN viting mechanism to vote when a vote is called (like taping down the "yea" button) but what they did was vote, then lose the vote 36 to 35, then call an immideate re-vote. During the re-vote they voted 'yea' then moved over to one of the empty seats (because not everyone was present for the vote) and hit the 'yea' button for someone else.
Link Posted: 8/29/2004 4:28:18 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
fuck kalifornia
fuck feinstein

Link Posted: 8/29/2004 4:34:27 PM EDT
[#10]
why didnt he get married to her before he left like every other guy that knocked up a girl before they left.  
Link Posted: 8/29/2004 4:35:20 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
Whilst there seems to be much focus on the .50 cal and ammo purchase laws, just to let you know that there is some sense knocking around up there as well... It's not all bad.

Actually, I've found that California politicians usually do quite well by servicemen. I've even seen Feinstein pull her weight in order to have laws bent for military personnel.

Apparently California is currently rushing through legislation which will make it only the third or fourth state to permit marriage by proxy.

This is being done to permit a Marine 2LT on duty in Iraq and who cannot return to the US to marry his fiancee before the birth of their daughter next month. (There are apparently certain benefits for the kid which only become available if the father was married to the mother at time of birth).

Stars and Stripes also mentions that there are rumours that Arnie might stand in for the groom.

NTM

Hey, are you the same Manic Moran who has the long thread on Tanknet?
Link Posted: 8/29/2004 4:37:36 PM EDT
[#12]
Sorry, but responsible persons don't go around knocking up women to whom they're not already married.

It's a decent law, but it sure is hell aint a reason to promote to shitty state. And no, I'm not disparaging any servicemember, so save it.

Link Posted: 8/29/2004 5:09:51 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

There you go.

You're right, it IS totally different.

Ghost-voting is where you rig YOUR OWN viting mechanism to vote when a vote is called (like taping down the "yea" button) but what they did was vote, then lose the vote 36 to 35, then call an immideate re-vote. During the re-vote they voted 'yea' then moved over to one of the empty seats (because not everyone was present for the vote) and hit the 'yea' button for someone else.

Ghost voting can be having a fellow lawmaker voting for you also, it does not have to be a rigging of your button ala "paperclips".   Ghost voting is nothing more than proxy voting by whatever means.  It was outlawed in the Federal level(House of Reps.) by H.R. 4348:

"A BILL

To amend the Rules of the House of Representatives to prohibit proxy voting and to amend title 18, United States Code, to criminalize the practice commonly called `ghost voting' in the House of Representatives.

Be it enacted by the Senate and House of Representatives of the United States of America in Congress assembled,

SECTION 1. PROXY VOTING.

Clause 2(f) of rule VII of the Rules of the House of Representatives is amended to read as follows:

`(f) No vote by any member of any committee or subcommittee with respect to any measure or matter may be cast by proxy.'.

SEC. 2. CRIMINAL PENALTY.

(a) IN GENERAL- Chapter 29 of title 18, United States Code, is amended by adding at the end the following:

`Sec. 611. Voting for another representative

`(a) Whoever, being a Member of the House of Representatives--

`(1) authorizes another Member of the House of Representativ"es to cast the vote, or to record the presence, of the authorizing Member in the House of Representatives; or

`(2) casts the vote, or records the presence, of another Member of the House of Representatives in the House of Representatives;

shall be fined an amount that equals the annual salary that Member of the House of Representatives is receiving for service in the House at the time of the offense.

`(b) As used in this section, the term `Member of the House of Representatives' means a Representative in, or a Delegate or Resident Commissioner to, the Congress.'.

(b) CLERICAL AMENDMENT- The table of sections at the beginning of chapter 29 of title 18,

United States Code, is amended by adding at the end the following new item:

`611. Voting for another representative.'.

I don't know what happened in the case of the California gun law if in fact the lawmakers were voting per instructions of the missing people or not.  If they were than while I believe it is unethical to not be present to vote it is in fact not "double voting"
Link Posted: 8/29/2004 7:39:31 PM EDT
[#14]
Hmm...

Talk about a Marine's desire to marry someone, and almost all posts revert back to the CA weapons legislation. Do I detect something of a one-track collective mind here?

Maybe he didn't know at the time he was being deployed that he was going to be a father, and had instead intended to wait until after he got back and went through the usual dating/engagement/marriage process instead of doing a rush job?

Hey, are you the same Manic Moran who has the long thread on Tanknet?

How many other European socio-commie pinkos called Manic Moran do you know? ;)

NTM
Link Posted: 8/29/2004 7:50:13 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
why didnt he get married to her before he left like every other guy that knocked up a girl before they left.  

You assume she got knocked up before he left...
Link Posted: 8/29/2004 8:12:53 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

If they were truly "ghost voting" then why did they not ghost vote during the original vote? Why wait until the re-vote? It makes it seem less like ghost-voting, and more like voting twice.
Link Posted: 8/29/2004 8:16:13 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 8/29/2004 8:35:31 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Quoted:

If they were truly "ghost voting" then why did they not ghost vote during the original vote? Why wait until the re-vote? It makes it seem less like ghost-voting, and more like voting twice.

Like I said Leelaw, I don't know for sure the specifics of the voting pretaining to the above gun law voting.  One source I read said they were voting for another member.  Why, not before?  beats me. Maybe you are right.  If they were going to vote twice why didnt they do it the frist time? To be honest  it doesnt make a whole lot of sense whichever way you look at it.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top