Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/28/2004 5:38:31 PM EDT
It was pretty cool. I've always been interested in other religions having been raised Catholic. Incrediable how complex the written Hebrew language appears, the young man had to study really hard to reach this point in his life. If you've never been I encourage to go if you get the opportunity.

Their 'Bible" reads backwards. That is, the book is printed backwards with the front cover being the back of the book and all the pages being numbered in the opposite direction. Of course Hebrew is read from right to left. Along with the passages in Hebrew, the english text was published along with commentary regarding interpretation of the passages. Many of  the prayers were similar to Christian prayers but I expected that since alot of Christianity comes from the old testiment. I've got alot of questions, wish I had the time to talk to the Rabbi or someone else, I'm sure I'll get that opportunity some day. But overall, it was a very positive experience and I think alot of stereotyping and negative images of different religions and denominations could be dispelled if we took an interest as individuals to experience first hand denominations and religions different than our own.

From my experience today, it appeared that many were at different points in their religious knowledge. Age didn't seem to matter, there were kids that could sing Hebrew without a problem and there were adults that couldn't. It was kinda odd to see folks come & go and socialize during the service. You wouldn't do that during a Christian service, especially as a kid without getting wacked.

Perhaps TJ or others  will weigh in here and I can post a few questions, don't want this thread to turn into some bashing or argument  thread so please keep it on topic and your mind open and if you don't have something positive to post, don't post.  Oh, after the service, they were doing Burbon shots
Link Posted: 8/28/2004 5:45:30 PM EDT
[#1]
Before I helped cater a bot mitzvah a few years ago and everything was going fine...till the DJ played Livin lavida loca (or whatever that annoying ricky martin song is) and there where 30 something kids running around screaming the lyrics as loud as the could.
Link Posted: 8/28/2004 5:45:35 PM EDT
[#2]
Yeah, my friend who's a Jew had a personal crisis that brought him back home, just as his little brother was studying for his Bar Mitzvah.  So he spent a lot of time with him learning Hebrew (a new language for both of them) and they went to Israel for two weeks together to soak it up.

Apparently, most Jewish kids dont take this aspect of Bar Mitzvah very seriously, and it annoys the rabbis.  But Isaac did really well, impressed everyone.
Link Posted: 8/28/2004 5:49:54 PM EDT
[#3]
Dude, you didn't know Hebrew reads right to left?  
Link Posted: 8/28/2004 5:55:09 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
Dude, you didn't know Hebrew reads right to left?  

I didn't know/expect their books were printed right to left. I'm sure that is done to echo the fact that Hebrew is from right to left. What can I say, it's my first contact with Jusdisim. Everything I knew up to this point, I learned from Southpark.
JK, I had a Jewish friend that did tell me a few things about what Kosher meant.
Link Posted: 8/29/2004 5:17:34 AM EDT
[#5]
BTT for the morning crew.
Link Posted: 8/29/2004 6:36:14 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
Their 'Bible" reads backwards. That is, the book is printed backwards with the front cover being the back of the book and all the pages being numbered in the opposite direction.

Glad you had a good experience.  The Bar Mitzvah is a very old custom that continues today.  But...uhh, since the majority of the Old Testament was originally written in Hebrew, and pre-dates the New Testament, wouldn't it be more correct to say that subsequent editions are the ones written 'backwards'?

No flames intended.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top