Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/28/2004 11:53:52 AM EDT
(this is ffrom ace.mu.nu one of my favorite bloggers, I thought someone here could help him)

Any Military Officers/Sergeants Want to Answer a Question, Either On Background or For Attribution?

I'm trying to do some genuine reportial work. If anyone can help, I'd appreciate it.

Basically, I'd like to speak with anyone who has direct, first-hand knowlege about how after-action reports are written-- my first preference is for those who've actually written them; my second preference is for those who haven't written them, but have been interviewed/debriefed by the person who ended up writing them.

Specifically, I'd like to know if (as I assume) the person writing the report canvasses the whole unit for what each man saw, and then writes that up, or if the writer can only report what he personally, first-hand, witnessed.

If you know, and you'd like to help out, email me at [email protected]. I don't necessarily have to use your name or otherwise identify you; if you want to just fill me in on background, that's cool. But I'd like to have at least a couple of people willing to report for attribution.

If you know someone who might know, and you think that person wouldn't mind answering a few brief questions, please let me know you have a possible contact.

I should warn that this of course concerns the SwiftVets story, so anyone stepping forward is actually opening himself to attack by Kerry supporters (i.e., the entirety of the mainstream media).

Oh, and I also have to say that I need some way of checking your bona fides. I don't want to be spoofed by "someone willing to help" who turns out to be a Kerry supporter spinning fables in order to discredit me.

]
Link Posted: 8/28/2004 1:48:42 PM EDT
[#1]
btt
Link Posted: 8/28/2004 1:58:51 PM EDT
[#2]
The AARs in my Battalion were done at two levels, BN and Battery.  My Battery AARs were written by myself and my Officers, with specific sections written by the section head.  For example the Motor T portion was done by the MT chief and "howitzer portion" by the gun's platoon sgt and section chiefs.   At the Battalion level, the COs, the staff and special staff got together after we did our individual  unit/section AARs.
Link Posted: 8/28/2004 2:54:15 PM EDT
[#3]
SLA Marshal wrote several books on WWII and RVN based completely on afteraction battle reports. There was one called " West To Cambodia" dealing with the 25th Inf Div on the Cambodian border in 1966. He was the orginator of the modern AARs. He provides good info about the mechanics of the process.

rk
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top