Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/28/2004 12:12:48 AM EDT
What is the order of the Nine Cuts in Kenjutsu Kata?  If I were using the compass to explain it, does it start with NW to SE or what?  Help!
Link Posted: 8/28/2004 8:51:11 AM EDT
[#1]
From compass template in front of you Start cut at NW to SE, the rest is following the form. Start in Gedan, of course. Well, that is the way I was taught it.

Greg
Link Posted: 8/28/2004 9:05:24 AM EDT
[#2]
NW to SE, then SE to NW?  It's been 7 years...
Link Posted: 8/28/2004 9:32:26 AM EDT
[#3]
Gedan,  with NW to SE, then NE to SW, both are downward cuts. You then repeat the process going upward from SW to NE, then SE to NW. Effectively you are making a figure eight on front of you. These are the first four cuts. The movements are particualr with the style in which you learned the cuts. Our Sensei utilized the Gyokko ryu system of footwork for the cuts.  Now you cut across from W to E and then back E to W, once again in form.  The last two cuts are N to S, downward and then S to N upward. Finally, from gedan, the last cut is a thrust forward and it can be varied from low , medium and high (I forgot the traditional terms)The kamae for the last two is difficult to explain, they are very fluid. I could use my video cam to demonstrate and send you the file if necessary. At what Ryu were you at when you stopped? Also, who was your teacher, just curious?

Greg
Link Posted: 8/28/2004 9:40:30 AM EDT
[#4]
4th que, Jeff Prather in Tucson.  www.bujinkanusa.com/

It was seven years ago, and I went back to school, undergrad and then my MBA from ASU.  I've put on a lot of weight (fast food and all that), and I was looking for something interesting to do while working out.  I've always liked the sword...

You?
Link Posted: 8/28/2004 10:19:54 AM EDT
[#5]

Jeff Prather in Tucson

Interesting fellow..............I have done some firearms classes w/ him.
Link Posted: 8/28/2004 10:29:31 AM EDT
[#6]
Yeah...He's an isosceles guy, I'm a Weaver man myself.  Other than that, ExTAC 3 is pretty darn good.
Link Posted: 8/29/2004 3:20:20 AM EDT
[#7]
Sorry for the late reply. I have a shodan. I  got sidetracked during graduate school, then work and two kids I just met up with one of my old instructors and started training again.  Our new affiliation is with Ed Martin out of Pennsylvania. Originally we had a Dojo out here that was run under  one of Hayes's group. However, when Hayes went "quest Center" a few of the core instructors broke off and went back to Bunjikan. One of our friends is in Japan learning with Sheriashi Sensei. We have seminars when he comes into town. Keep up with the training it is worth it.
Link Posted: 8/29/2004 9:26:10 AM EDT
[#8]
Well, I am embarassed to go down in the shape I am in now.  In 7 years, you can fall a long way.

But I have already lost 35 pounds, so I am on the right track.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top