Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/27/2004 9:56:47 PM EDT
I can't tell any diff., whay does everybody prefer and why, all info greatly appreciated.
Link Posted: 8/27/2004 10:02:18 PM EDT
[#1]
Internet Exploder is a piece of bloatware that every piece of spyware, adware, malware and plain old CRAPWARE is written to take advantge of.  Pop-ups, security holes and exploits up the wazoo.  It's the cyberspace equivalent of having a "KICK ME" sign taped on your back.

I dumped the trash after version 5.5 and went to Opera.  Left Opera when Firefox got stable at 0.9 and haven't regretted a moment of it.
Link Posted: 8/27/2004 10:18:36 PM EDT
[#2]
what he sayed
Link Posted: 8/27/2004 10:25:07 PM EDT
[#3]
Switched from IE to Modizella Firefox on recomendations from our companies computer guy.   I don't get any where near the pop ups or problems.
Link Posted: 8/27/2004 10:27:56 PM EDT
[#4]
I just made the switch too , how about thundrbird mail ?
Link Posted: 8/27/2004 10:32:00 PM EDT
[#5]
About three weeks ago, our university lab IT geeks told us all to dump IE and load up either Mozilla or FireFox.  The geek lead told me that IE was shot full of holes and easy for evil people to crack and do all sorts of mischief.  I loaded Mozilla on my laptop which I'm using now, my home office workstation and my lab office workstation.

I'm NOT going back to IE.  Mozilla works very well for me.
Link Posted: 8/27/2004 10:35:28 PM EDT
[#6]
How do i get to internet options while running mozilla ?
Link Posted: 8/27/2004 10:38:56 PM EDT
[#7]
Internet Explorer is absolutly terrible. I  just recently transitioned over to mozilla and I will never look back. It is much more stable, secure, and has a number of better features like the multitab windows.
Link Posted: 8/27/2004 10:46:39 PM EDT
[#8]
Can someone tell me about Thunderbird mail service?
Link Posted: 8/27/2004 10:51:44 PM EDT
[#9]
I like opera (since you can close the browser and it when you reopen it, it can remember all the tabs you had open) on the other hand it's not free.

Between the two (ie and firefox) it's not even close....firefox hands down.

I've been using it regularly since 0.9 and have been very happy with it. It'll even import all your bookmarks and passwords upon setup.

And tabbed browsing (which opera also has) is the shiznit.

You may occasionally (1% depending on what you use it for) need to open IE again for certain sites (windows update for example).

Forgot to add that another important security precaution is to STOP using Outlook (aka Lookout Express). I've been using Eudora for about 5 years and haven't had to worry about most of these mail exploits.  

By taking these two simple measures (Firefox and Eudora) you will solve about 95% of your security concerns....unless you're into obviously dumb things like opening unknown files that people send you.
Link Posted: 8/27/2004 11:02:29 PM EDT
[#10]
Thanks for all the info guys!!!!!
Link Posted: 8/27/2004 11:12:44 PM EDT
[#11]
Mozilla ROCKS!

BUT you can still get trojans and spyware through other means these days.  Watch what you click.

- BUCC_Guy
Link Posted: 8/27/2004 11:13:01 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
I like opera (since you can close the browser and it when you reopen it, it can remember all the tabs you had open) on the other hand it's not free.

Between the two (ie and firefox) it's not even close....firefox hands down.

I've been using it regularly since 0.9 and have been very happy with it. It'll even import all your bookmarks and passwords upon setup.

And tabbed browsing (which opera also has) is the shiznit.

You may occasionally (1% depending on what you use it for) need to open IE again for certain sites (windows update for example).

Forgot to add that another important security precaution is to STOP using Outlook (aka Lookout Express). I've been using Eudora for about 5 years and haven't had to worry about most of these mail exploits.  

By taking these two simple measures (Firefox and Eudora) you will solve about 95% of your security concerns....unless you're into obviously dumb things like opening unknown files that people send you.

Is Eudora a freedownload?
Link Posted: 8/27/2004 11:13:58 PM EDT
[#13]

Never going back to IE
Link Posted: 8/27/2004 11:16:22 PM EDT
[#14]
Can some one please tell me about Thunderbird or Eudora
Link Posted: 8/28/2004 1:21:52 AM EDT
[#15]
Eudora sucks.
Link Posted: 8/28/2004 1:53:52 AM EDT
[#16]
Mozilla is Killa.  

ps:  thanks Paul!  
Link Posted: 8/28/2004 2:47:12 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
Mozilla is Killa.  

ps:  thanks Paul!  

Iv'e  been running  Mozilla and Thunderbird all night and i have absolutely no problem with either, i just gotta figure out how to use theme
Link Posted: 8/28/2004 4:16:31 AM EDT
[#18]
If you like to surf  you can't beat Firefox.  Two mouse clicks makes clean up a snap!
Link Posted: 8/28/2004 4:21:57 AM EDT
[#19]
Read the Mozilla documentation. It has lots of cool things you can do and add, that aren't immediately apparent.
One add-in I use and love is the dictionary add-in. I can highlight any word on a web page, even one I just typed in, right click, and Mozilla opens up a new tab that loads www.dictionary.com with the word looked up. Dictionary.com even suggests alternatives if the word is spelled wrong.

Gotta love it!
Link Posted: 8/28/2004 4:23:41 AM EDT
[#20]
Yeah, im learning more about it by the min. , thanks everybody
Link Posted: 8/28/2004 4:25:11 AM EDT
[#21]
Firefox
Link Posted: 8/28/2004 4:26:38 AM EDT
[#22]
Firefox and Thunderbird are both working great
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top