Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/1/2001 11:05:23 AM EDT
Help: I need advice!

Where is the best place to buy a new CETME?
I want it to be put together buy Century and have a Special Weapons receiver.

Please respond in detail.
Many thanks,
Friz
Link Posted: 6/1/2001 11:14:55 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 6/1/2001 11:30:12 AM EDT
[#2]
Check out the report at www.cruffler.com (sorry I don't know how to make it clickable) it should be found under one of the archives. The lack of ordnance marks is disturbing. In addition, my FFL dealer talked me out of ordering one (he regularly does SO's for me).He had heard feedback from customers and other dealers. He did admit no personal experience with problems. Finally, I do a regular business fro Century. They are good people but I am not found of their "Frankenguns" I bought a MAS 49/56 that was reworked from 7.5mmFrench to .308
and it was an incomplete half-assed job. It will probably cost me $100-$200 to make it right. Caveat Emptor!
Link Posted: 6/1/2001 11:39:31 AM EDT
[#3]
My advice would be don't -

1. Buy a CETME (when a DSA STG58A FAL is only a few hundred more)

2. Buy from Century

If you absolutely MUSt buy a CETME, go here:

[url]http://aimsurplus.com/acatalog/AIM_Rifles_1.html[/url]

Scroll down.

Aim Surplus are good people. But ask them and make sure this isn't a Century Arms In;t (CAI) gun.
Link Posted: 6/1/2001 12:38:40 PM EDT
[#4]
FRIZ--

Skip the CETME (not too bad) and try and find an FMP receivered rifle (much better).  Closer to an HK 91.

No response yet on the receivers.

The FNC may go on the block after I come back from vacation--raising funds for an M-16.  I'll let you know.

AFARR

(e-mail me so I can let you know about the FNC).

Link Posted: 6/2/2001 5:34:32 PM EDT
[#5]
Gentlemen:
Thank you for your advice.
Regards,
FRIZ
Link Posted: 6/2/2001 6:21:19 PM EDT
[#6]
Fritz,

I have had a little experience with the HK-91 and copies.  I have fired the HK91 extensively, in the thousands of rounds.  It is a fine weapon that has strengths and weaknesses.  I like the looks and the ergonomics of the rifle.  It is easy to shoot well.  It is put together like a tank.  One of the strongest battle rifles out there.  On the other hand, the recoil is a little more, but not much, as compared to the FAL or AR10.  A deap cleaning is more involved, due to the design, but it really doesn't need that extensive of a cleaning all the time.  

I give you all this background to set the stage for the experience I have had witht the copies...

I own a Springfield SAR-8, the one made in greece.  It is the closest clone to the real thing.  Made on HK equipment by HK trained staff in Greece.  I have found the only real noticable difference is in the quality of the finish, just a little less than the HK.  Accuracy, reliablility, etc.. is on par with the HK.  I highly recommend this gun.  You can find these for around $1100-$1250.

I also own a kit gun built on an FMP receiver.  It was finished by Jim @ Protech.  The parts kit was in like new condition and the receiver was new.  All HK or HK contract parts. Accuracy and reliability is on par with those listed above, due to the fine craftmanship of Protech.  Finish is undistinguishable from the HK.  I am into this gun for about $900.  The disadvantage of this route is time.  It's definately not instant gratification, but to me the wait was well worth it!

Now to the real question you posed-- The CETME is a fine rifle and has the appeal of being different from everyone elses.  Let me say from the beginning, I have only handled a few.  From my experience, the guns are somewhat rudamentry.  The fit and finish is lacking.  The cocking handle is difficult to use and the bolt carrier is very tight.  I understand they will loosen up after time, but new the ones I handled are very tight.  The finish isn't very uniform.  Meaning some of the parts are finished in different shades of paint.  The metal and wood don't match up very well.  

Some problems have been reported from a couple of owners, but Century will make things right.  Your just without the rifle for a period of time.  

With all this said, I must admit that I will likely pick one up.  They are very inexpensive and I wouldn't worry too much about beating it up.  I must admit, I like the wood.  It adds something to the rifle.  

It seems like the CETME is a luck of the draw, as with all Century products.  Some will report absolutely no problems at all and others just the opposite.  I would suggest a thorough inspection upon recept of the rifle.  If something isn't right, send it back.  They will fix or replace.

This is probably more info than you wanted, but I enjoy this type of rifle too.  Good luck on your decision.

fuatos
Link Posted: 6/2/2001 6:23:31 PM EDT
[#7]
One other thing... Avoid the Hesse receiver.  Get the Century.  They bought Special Weapons tooling and they produce a pretty good product.

fuatos
Link Posted: 6/2/2001 6:56:19 PM EDT
[#8]
Are the ones Federal Arms Corp sells Century guns?  They seem pretty cheap at $489.95.
Link Posted: 6/2/2001 8:20:36 PM EDT
[#9]
Hi fuatos:
Regards,
FRIZ
Link Posted: 6/3/2001 7:42:12 AM EDT
[#10]
wholesale guns has CETME's fer $457 shipped in the june 18th SGN. i plan on ordering one if i dont spend all my $$ at an auction on thursday. all CETME's are built by century with SW rec's. unless someone had one specialy built with the partsets that are out there
Link Posted: 6/3/2001 2:52:23 PM EDT
[#11]
Hi biff:
Regards,
FRIZ
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top