Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/27/2004 7:20:15 PM EDT

As I understand it individuals making $23K+change and under are protected to receive O.T. Everyone over $23+change IS NOT protected to receive O.T. and it is up to the employer to decide if they pay O.T.

Is this correct?
Link Posted: 8/27/2004 7:26:51 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 8/27/2004 7:45:18 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
As I understand it individuals making $23K+change and under are protected to receive O.T. Everyone over $23+change IS NOT protected to receive O.T. and it is up to the employer to decide if they pay O.T.

Is this correct?

That's what the Dems want you to believe

Above a certain level, if you are a 'professional' you are not required to recieve OT

This means middle management, programmers/techs and similar...

Which is a non-issue as most of such jobs are salaried & exempt from OT allready...

What this rule did is clarify/simplify exempt vs non-exempt. It's a sort of clear-up-the-courts kind  of rule... Too many employee lawsuits because the regs wern't clear enough....
Link Posted: 8/27/2004 7:46:28 PM EDT
[#3]
Doesn't it exempt everyone under a certain amount? Like $22K or something?  
Link Posted: 8/27/2004 7:48:21 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 8/27/2004 7:53:46 PM EDT
[#5]
companies uder the railroad act don't follow the new overtime ruling, so all airlines are exempt.
Link Posted: 8/27/2004 8:01:26 PM EDT
[#6]
I make pretty damned good money (for Tucson.)  I put in about 50 hours a week on average.  My agreement with my employer is that if I'm working on a BILLABLE JOB - one for which the customer will receive a bill for my overtime work - I'll get paid overtime.  If it's on a contract job where we get paid a fixed amount, I don't.  If I work long hours just to keep up with the day-to-day stuff, and it's not billable, I don't.

I don't punch a clock.  I keep track of my billable hours (have to, otherwise we can't bill.)  

Works just fine for me.  I don't give a damn how the law is now.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top