Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/27/2004 12:27:21 PM EDT
When the Fed DNC list was announced, I naturally disregarded it as a governmental boondoggle.  There's no way in hell they could get something like that to work.

So I put off signing up for a long time.

Then a few months ago the number of telemarketing calls I was receiving rose dramatically.  Two or three an hour was the norm.  I quickly searched out the online sign-up form and dotted my i's and crossed my t's.

Now, some 5 months later, it is rare that we get a call.  Very rare in fact.  Looks like the screwups at .gov central can maybe do something right.  Who woulda thunk it?
Link Posted: 8/27/2004 12:28:31 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 8/27/2004 12:31:31 PM EDT
[#2]
Yep the only telemarketers I get now are the NRA.

And I tend to forgive them.
Link Posted: 8/27/2004 12:33:26 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
How ya liking those exempted political solicitation calls lately?

I couldn't tell you the last time I got a political call.  Probably the 2000 election from George Allen.

We don't matter down here in the sticks.
Link Posted: 8/27/2004 12:35:04 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
How ya liking those exempted political solicitation calls lately?

This illustrates the folly of the law.  They should make it apply to all, or none.  People that are exempted are Political orgs (and agents), Charities(and agents), and busieness that can legitimately claim you as a pre existing customer.

Most don't care about this inequity/pandering as long as the number of calls is cut down.  However, I can see why businesses feel unfairly targeted.

For the record, I am on the list.
Link Posted: 8/27/2004 12:50:09 PM EDT
[#5]
I signed up for call blocking with the phone company so if a telemarketer calls I have the option to not answer, dismiss them with a message that says don't call again, or answer the call.  After a couple months I stopped getting any telemarketing calls.
Link Posted: 8/27/2004 1:09:38 PM EDT
[#6]
Sprint Privacy Block... kicks ass. The do not call list + privacy block means NO unsolicited calls. I haven't had one in over a year now.

Most call centers or automated dialers don't give the operators any function to manually deliver the dialtone numbers needed to get past the call block.
Link Posted: 8/27/2004 1:11:57 PM EDT
[#7]
Part of my sys admin duties include the phone system. We have 12 telemarketers and two dialer machines.

Link Posted: 8/27/2004 1:14:15 PM EDT
[#8]
I used to get 4-8 telemarketing calls a day I signed up for the list and not one call in months.
Link Posted: 8/27/2004 1:21:41 PM EDT
[#9]
Somehow a new travel company got hold of my cell phone and has called it almost every day for two weeks.  I told them twice to stop and to take my number off the list.  I rec'd three more calls after that.  On the last one I told them that the FCC would be interested if I notified them.  That got their attention and the calls stopped.
By the way, my home phone is on the list.
Link Posted: 8/27/2004 1:22:01 PM EDT
[#10]

My number is not listed. The only telemarketing calls I get are from my own damn phone company. Pisses me off.
Link Posted: 8/27/2004 1:24:05 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
Part of my sys admin duties include the phone system. We have 12 telemarketers and two dialer machines.

How can you look at yourself in the mirror every day?

Link Posted: 8/27/2004 1:25:14 PM EDT
[#12]
The DNC has worked out great for me.  My phone used to ring off the hook.  Now it's silent.  It's a thing of beauty.
Link Posted: 8/27/2004 1:34:35 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Quoted:

How can you look at yourself in the mirror every day?

actually it's a good thing, i work for a medical company and they are calling people to make sure they are getting check ups, and we get medicare money, and people get taken care of.
Link Posted: 8/27/2004 1:55:59 PM EDT
[#14]
I agree, the Gov. did something that works, for free.
Link Posted: 8/27/2004 2:23:18 PM EDT
[#15]
has worked great for me.
Link Posted: 8/27/2004 2:29:57 PM EDT
[#16]
At you fuckers that signed up dystroyed my call center last summer putting me out of work!  
Thank you

Link Posted: 8/27/2004 2:49:47 PM EDT
[#17]
I signed up for the Colo. state run DNC list when it became available. I think those numbers were automatically added to the US.gov list.

Silence is bliss.

I was visiting a coworker who broke her leg the other day. She hadn't heard of the DNC list and had gotten 3 calls in the hour I was visiting her. And the ding-dong would talk with them, then have a hard time telling them no! Sheesh, some women. In the old days I would just say "I'm not interested. Have a nice day/evening." And then hang up. Sometimes you would even hear them pitching as the phone went down.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top