Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/26/2004 8:32:11 AM EDT
Remingtons Model 710 orginally offered in 30-06 and .270 is now being offered in .300 Win Mag.
Anyone here have experience with a 710?
I know I know its there low end rifle but hows it for quality and accuracey?
Owners or experienced please fire away.......
Link Posted: 8/26/2004 8:33:03 AM EDT
[#1]
Junk, avoid it, go with the 700.

Mike
Link Posted: 8/26/2004 8:41:30 AM EDT
[#2]
Hear, Hear!

The 700ADL is not much more, and much better.  Personally, I'd rather have iron sights and save a little longer for a decent scope than put up with the scope they often come with.

Is this riflle for hunting?
Link Posted: 8/26/2004 8:42:18 AM EDT
[#3]
go with a savage if you can't do a 700 rem. 700,s did not get the rep. for nothing. i had a 700 adl that shot better than it looked.
Link Posted: 8/26/2004 8:42:47 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 8/26/2004 8:53:47 AM EDT
[#5]
Gonna get back into some hunting and last I owned was a 700 bdl 7mag
Would rather a Rem .308 but just exploring my options.
I don't get to hunt large game much and just need to get something for the couple times a year situation.  Hell I could also use my M38 but was pipe dreaming about freaking out a Remmy, if you know what I mean....
Link Posted: 8/26/2004 9:08:57 AM EDT
[#6]
Might I suggest a .270?  Yep, it's old school, but none are better.  Here's why...

I put 200-500 rounds through my rifle every year.  100gr for crows and 'yotes, 140 gr for deer and 'yotes and hogs.  I shoot it alot because it's accurate, cheap to feed, light, short and pleasant to shoot.

When I go to a public range, all I see anymore (in Sept. and Oct.) are golf shirt types with their trusty howitzers.  They proceed to grimace through 5 shots onto a paper plate and get out.  They go into the woods with a gun that's 3 inches longer than mine and 2 pounds heavier.  

From benchrest, my .270 will put 5 shots into 6 inches at 300 yards on the worst day.  With a good rest, I am confident that I can deliver a good bullet with sufficient energy into the vitals of a deer at 425 yards.

I wouldn't trust the golfshirt-clad howitzer crowd to make a clean shot at 50 yds., despite the 14.6x vari-X III.

Rem. 700ADL .270,  Leupold VX 1,2 or 3 in good rings and mounts, the right ammo...  The right setup at the right price, Period.
Link Posted: 8/26/2004 9:16:17 AM EDT
[#7]
I don't think I've come across a positive review of a 710... EVER!

Reccomend a Tikka or Savage.  Very good bang for the buck (esp. the Tikka).
Link Posted: 8/26/2004 10:19:24 AM EDT
[#8]
I second the .270, no matter what brand or model you buy.

Powerful enough to drop elk out to 200 yards and as mentioned previously, doesn't beat you up to shoot it.

I "had" to buy a .30-06 because I got the GF into deer hunting and she uses my .270 and enjoys shooting it.

I have a Ruger I bought in 1977, I have NO IDEA how many rounds I've sent through it, and it's still accurate enough to shoot the tits off a fly. Only problem with a Ruger is that there's FEW "pimp out" parts available for them.

I liked the Ruger .270 so much I bought a Ruger '06.
Link Posted: 8/26/2004 10:37:30 AM EDT
[#9]
My friend is an uber-cheap, save-every-dime-he-ever-made, not-married, self-made millionaire.  He wanted something that'll kill a Georgia-sized deer and asked me about the 710.  I asked him how often would he shoot it and his response was--no shit--"ammo is expensive...maybe once per year."  

All he wanted was to stop borrowing a rifle from me when on the rare occassion, we went hunting together.

He got the 30-06.  We sighted it in at my hunt club and I got it to shoot four-inch groups at 200 yards.  I think he paid a little over $300 for it on sale--and he had some kind of coupon of course--at some big sporting goods store...I think it was Galyans.  It came with a scope mounted on it.  

The rifle is perfect for him, but his pride in having it will come from telling people how little he paid for it, not how much.  
Link Posted: 8/26/2004 11:21:32 AM EDT
[#10]
I friend of mine, at the ranch I hunt elk on, has a buddy who uses a 710 in 270.  We call it the "Rubber band gun".  Ugly as sin and not overly accurate.  Crappy trigger, action, finish etc. etc.  It goes boom and the guy has taken at least 1 deer with it.

It ain't a glamour gun, nor is it one that I would recommend.  If $$ was the main concern, I'd say go with a H&R handy rifle or NEF single shot. They're cheap and accurate.

But I always recommend the purchase of a firearm that not only performs but also instills pride and pleasure in ownership... These "options" almost always cost extra.

Sly
Link Posted: 8/26/2004 11:26:18 AM EDT
[#11]
The bolt isn't smooth at all. Alot of cathes. Trigger I kind of like it.
Hell but my $49 Mosin Nagant is 10x better. Can hit what I see where I want with the iron sights.
Link Posted: 8/26/2004 11:32:27 AM EDT
[#12]
It is teh uber 1337 junk.
Link Posted: 8/26/2004 12:12:38 PM EDT
[#13]
For about the same money, you can get a Howa that I feel is superior.
Link Posted: 8/26/2004 1:50:16 PM EDT
[#14]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top