Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 8/25/2004 3:04:36 PM EDT
Through various topics and replies, I see a lot of mixed emotions about HK Firearms.  

Now, disregard their questionable customer service and choose only based on the products.

MP5's
G36's
USP's
UMP's
Mk23's
HK9X's
G3's
PSG-1's
P7's
P2000's
XM8's

Also, after you vote, which one do you like the best?  Or for those of you that don't like em, why?  

Feedback guys, give me some feedback!
Link Posted: 8/25/2004 3:06:27 PM EDT
[#1]
Don't own any - but I am partial to the MP5SD.
Link Posted: 8/25/2004 3:08:51 PM EDT
[#2]
They are a little elitist for my taste.

Overly priced for what it is.

They don't care about us civies.

I prefer made in USA by an American company if possible.
Link Posted: 8/25/2004 3:09:45 PM EDT
[#3]
I have a USP C/ 45acp sts slide. It is a fine gun.
Link Posted: 8/25/2004 3:09:52 PM EDT
[#4]
Some of the best made firearms on the planet, bar none....between spec ops, police forces, and various militaries around the world, id label HK as the BMW of firearms...top of the line performance, looks (IMHO), and reliability, if not a little more expensive than they should be...

HK USP .45 fullsize owner here
Link Posted: 8/25/2004 3:14:41 PM EDT
[#5]
HK: "In a World of Compromise, Some Companies just have Better Marketing Departments."

HK's are good, but they ain't NEARLY the uber-technical superweapons that HK wants you to believe they are. In fact, they ain't no better than any other reputable manufacturer, many of whom give you more gun and less hype for your money.  I owned a USP, which I thought was the end all be all of pistols until I shot a Kimber. Then I realized what my USP was:  A polymer framed boat anchor, even though it was a "compact" (my ass) model, that had a marketing department from Hell behind it.  If you like schlocky, shitty triggers that you can't do anything about, uncomfortable, blocky and totally unconcealable ergonomics and marginal accuracy for alot of  money, the USP is the way to go.

I got lucky and traded mine even for a Kimber CDP custom, and haven't missed it a day.

Oh, and to boot, the HK customer "service" blows goats.

Guess you could say I'm not a fan.

SG
Link Posted: 8/25/2004 3:19:38 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 8/25/2004 3:20:36 PM EDT
[#7]

Do you HK Weapons?

like? own? hate?
Link Posted: 8/25/2004 3:21:43 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 8/25/2004 3:23:57 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

You take a 19 lb solid bar of weapons-grade hardened steel and whittle out the slide for a USP, discarding 18 and a half pounds as scrap. THEN cold-hammer forge a polygon rifled barrel (no cheating like Glock does) and we'll see if you can beat Hks' price.
Link Posted: 8/25/2004 3:30:21 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:

You take a 19 lb solid bar of weapons-grade hardened steel and whittle out the slide for a USP, discarding 18 and a half pounds as scrap. THEN cold-hammer forge a polygon rifled barrel (no cheating like Glock does) and we'll see if you can beat Hks' price.

Thats cool!!!

Shame it don't work any better than a Glock
Link Posted: 8/25/2004 3:32:33 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

They don't care about us civies.

I prefer made in USA by an American company if possible.

Pretty much.  

I'll only discuss those I've actually fired.  

HK91--shitty sights, recoil is that weird circular motion, stock socks me in the eye when I shoot it, tears up brass, charging handle is FUBAR, ergos suck, roller action sucks (dent the receiver and she no fire), EXPENSIVE and rare

PSG-1--overpriced, foo-foo rifle--would rather have an SR-25

MP5--THE most controllable 9mm FA I've ever shot.  Very handy, ergos are ok, good trigger and super easy to modulate for 3-5 round bursts, roller action sucks, EXPENSIVE and rare

USP--good God, don't get me started--that grip frame is an abortion, trigger sucks--plus side is that it's the only polymer .45 that I'd own--but I still wouldn't own one  

They are overpriced and "elite"--they are fine firearms but they have a built-up cache that irks me.  Maybe it's just the "HK is God" guys that irk me.  Maybe it's the Teutonic superiority complex that irks me.  

Heckler and Kotch
Link Posted: 8/25/2004 3:35:51 PM EDT
[#12]
HK is in the "Hell yeah, if I wasn't poor" category.

It just isn't realistic for most people to want them... but even you haters would have a closet full if you were rich  

- BUCC_Guy
Link Posted: 8/25/2004 3:43:00 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 8/25/2004 4:10:50 PM EDT
[#14]
Have shot:

USP45 Full size (mine)
USC 45ACP (Someone Else's)
MP5A2 (range rental)

Love all three.  I consider them to be a very good quality mnaufacturer.  No more, no less.  Equal to other respected manufacturers such as Sig, Kimber, and Colt (in the rifle side, I have no experience with their pistols, so I will leave that to others to comment on.)

I found the ergonomics on all three to be superb, but I am a tall lanky guy.
Link Posted: 8/25/2004 4:12:08 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Pretty much.  

I'll only discuss those I've actually fired.  

HK91--shitty sights, recoil is that weird circular motion, stock socks me in the eye when I shoot it, charging handle is FUBAR, ergos suck, roller action sucks, EXPENSIVE and rare

One of the best combat sights out there. Best recoiling .308 on FA of the big 3, don't know what you are doing wrong to get hit in the eye, charging handle is very practical if you understand it, roller lock is what makes them better than most others and when they were being imported they cost about 1/3 more than  a AR15.

Quoted:
PSG-1--overpriced, foo-foo rifle--would rather have an SR-25

I like the SR25, have you really owned a PSG1 though?

Quoted:
MP5--THE most controllable 9mm FA I've ever shot.  Very handy, ergos are ok, good trigger and super easy to modulate for 3-5 round bursts, roller action sucks, EXPENSIVE and rare

Again roller lock is what makes it superior. No more rare or expensive than a Colt 9mm SMG.

Quoted:
USP--good God, don't get me started--that grip frame is an abortion, trigger sucks--plus side is that it's the only polymer .45 that I'd own--but I still wouldn't own one  

Best marriage of Browning and Walther features yet.

Quoted:
They are overpriced and "elite"--they are fine firearms but they have a built-up cache that irks me.  Maybe it's just the "HK is God" guys that irk me.  Maybe it's the Teutonic superiority complex that irks me.  

Heckler and Kotch

HK isn't God. As someone said they are just quality rifles like other premium firearms. In some areas they are the best (9mm subgun) but in some areas they aren't (HK93 vs AR15). And I think the SIG 550 is better than both.

Never OWNED a PSG-1.  I said I had SHOT one.  Still not impressed considering the price.  

As for the HK91--it recoils more than my FAL for sure.  And it's not just me that thinks that the recoil has a weird circular motion that hinders follow-up shots--I've heard that complaint many times.  

As for the sights--they seem robust, but I like AR sights better.  

Roller lock--don't like it.  I don't know the "trick" for unlocking it when it locks up and a dent in the stamped steel receiver will stop it cold.  Dent a FAL top cover and you just take it off and keep going.  

As for rarity--they are more rare than pre-ban AR's and quite a bit more expensive as well and they are not upgradeable/modular like the AR platform.  As .308's go, I prefer the FAL.  

USP--I like the ability to change out the triggers to different firing modes, but the piece itself is too bulky, the grip is uncomfortable, and it's too expensive.  But hey, I'm a 1911 man.  

They are "nice" guns, but not worth my time and money.  

Link Posted: 8/25/2004 4:13:44 PM EDT
[#16]
HK Longarms: Interesting but no major performance advantages over their competitors.  Would own a "closetfull" if had major cash to blow.

HK Subguns: Some of the best in the world.  Should own a "closetfull" even though I don't have major cash to blow.

HK USP: Good, but not better than the competition. I would buy a $500 Glock before a $700 USP.

HK P7: ???
Link Posted: 8/25/2004 4:14:52 PM EDT
[#17]
Well, opinions vary and experiences differ.  Fair enough too.  As to the price gripes, hey, no one forces anyone to buy.  That is like griping about the price of Ferraris.  If you can't afford one fair enough but why disparage them for the price?

My experiences are limited to the four HK products I have owned.

HK TACTICAL
HK Tactical .45 with suppressor.  This is a LARGE .45 pistol and  the suppressor doesn't make it any smaller.  I doubt anyone carries this as a concealed carry weapon.  

Pros - it has been ultimately reliable out of the box, more accurate than I can shoot, easy to maintain and rugged.  It has also be 100% with the suppressor.  

Cons - trigger is spongy and it is LARGE.  Also few after market goodies like holsters and stuff.

PS - while HK didn't make the suppressor I would not do it again.  It is a wet can which requires grease injection.  Smoky and a pain in the a$$.  

HK USP40C
This is a compact version of the .40 S&W.  It's OK.  No real pros or cons.  Reliable and does what it should.  Also spongy trigger and reliable etc.

SP89
Thing of beauty.  Also thing of no use.  Truly this thing has no function in life other than being converted into an MP5K.  It is too big to shoot as a pistol, and no way to shoot as a rifle.  Useless, but really well made.  hard to judge HK since I am sure this was made specifically to be converted.  I sold this last year.

MP5
This is my favorite weapon.  There is nothing that comes close to this in the subgun world.  I have an M16 9mm, and M11, and have shot other subguns.  Nothing is CLOSE.  Based on this weapon alone I love HK.  I also have a suppressor for it and it is GREAT.

Pros - best subgun bar none.  

Cons - people think parts for these are made of gold.  But what the heck?  I love this gun
Link Posted: 8/25/2004 4:24:14 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
USP--I like the ability to change out the triggers to different firing modes, but the piece itself is too bulky, the grip is uncomfortable, and it's too expensive. But hey, I'm a 1911 man.

Really, a 1911 guy.....no shit ?? I never would have guessed.

I had a HK91 and other than the weight, I really liked it.
I have two USPs, a fullsize and a compact, both in .45 and I love these pistols !  Never a problem of any kind. Accurate, tough and totally reliable.

Link Posted: 8/25/2004 4:43:56 PM EDT
[#19]
Affirmative
Link Posted: 8/25/2004 4:46:27 PM EDT
[#20]
HK's are overpriced pieces of crap.

Now a Toad Specul Wepun is da bomb!
Link Posted: 8/25/2004 4:47:06 PM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 8/25/2004 4:48:12 PM EDT
[#22]
The only one I have any experience with is the P7 (my dads ready gun), the first one in 9mm.  Nice and compact, very accurate and reliable.  Takes ALOT to get used to it, but it is unique and very safe.

I have handled most of there other guns (MP5, 91, 93, USP) don't like them much.  Except for the MP5 which I will never own .  That being said if I had the money and space to assemble the SA versions of every military rifle of the 20th century the HK91 would be the last.
Link Posted: 8/25/2004 4:49:43 PM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 8/25/2004 4:55:27 PM EDT
[#24]
At various points in my service (back in the ol' country) I was issued a G3.  

I really like the design, and personally think it is the better designed of the battle rifles (compared to the FAL and the M14), since I'm partial to the recoil system, and don't like the added complexity of gas - but that's just a personal preference.

I found the sights to be good (for a military arm) but despite my liking of the rifle, it wasn't overly practical for me, since the ergonomics didn't fit that well for me.  I woudl occasionally get whanged on the cheekbone when shooting it.

Plus - it is pretty uncontrollable on full-auto (but the G3 is the ONLY one I've fired on full-auto - as compared to the FAL and M-14, and so it may be more of a .308 issue than a G3 issue).

Just my thoughts - worth what you paid for it
Link Posted: 8/25/2004 5:01:52 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Affirmative
members.cox.net/rwhitehill/hk51.jpg

Sweet 51.

But put the correct forearm on it.

You are correct.  Thats what came with it so I'll leave it like that for the time being.  Hell, I don't even know what the correct forearm looks like.  
Link Posted: 8/25/2004 5:02:59 PM EDT
[#26]
I have one H&K and I love it.

I want more H&Ks but I Hate shelling out that much $$
Link Posted: 8/25/2004 5:06:06 PM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 8/25/2004 5:11:44 PM EDT
[#28]
Own a USP.40, and plan to own others as money and collecting allow. Now, if I could just get Steyr off of his collection some...
Link Posted: 8/25/2004 5:15:18 PM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 8/25/2004 5:15:27 PM EDT
[#30]
I had a USP 45, couldn't hit shit with it. HK's sre great guns but they just cost too damn much.
Link Posted: 8/25/2004 5:20:22 PM EDT
[#31]
You get what you pay for!  I have a USPC 9mm.  Has 8k rds through it.  Not a slip up anywhere.  IMHO, the easiest pistols to clean and maintain.  8k and mine still looks 95%-98%.  Only little wear on top of barrel.  

HK has a good track record too, okay...the G11...I know, but other than that everything has done remarkably well.  I guess this poll would make more sense if asked to the Mil/LE.  
Link Posted: 8/25/2004 5:22:08 PM EDT
[#32]
I have a USP 45C , its well built and accurate . I like it enough that I now have to have its
big Brother an M-23 ..... As soon as I can find one under $2K that is
Link Posted: 8/25/2004 5:35:25 PM EDT
[#33]
Link Posted: 8/25/2004 5:58:34 PM EDT
[#34]
Link Posted: 8/25/2004 6:11:36 PM EDT
[#35]
Link Posted: 8/25/2004 6:13:35 PM EDT
[#36]
I couldn't resist.

Link Posted: 8/25/2004 6:17:05 PM EDT
[#37]
Link Posted: 8/25/2004 6:20:20 PM EDT
[#38]
Link Posted: 8/25/2004 6:24:01 PM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:
I couldn't resist.

img.photobucket.com/albums/v83/jrhack79/hkKB.jpg

You can pretty much find pictures of any firearm that has been damaged.  Just posting one doesn't mean shit.  For all we know, someone hit it with a sledge hammer.  Please give us the source and background info.
Link Posted: 8/25/2004 6:27:25 PM EDT
[#40]
You can find pics like that on every gun in existance.  I love the pic of the AR exploding out the side.  Rarely seen in HKs though.  
Link Posted: 8/25/2004 6:32:14 PM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:
I couldn't resist.

img.photobucket.com/albums/v83/jrhack79/hkKB.jpg

That's just an H&K doing it's glock imitation
Link Posted: 8/25/2004 6:32:55 PM EDT
[#42]
You'll have to ask Aim4myHead.
He originally posted that pic in this thread:
www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=5&f=13&t=10152
Link Posted: 8/25/2004 7:28:30 PM EDT
[#43]
That popped HK was an overly loaded cartridge: See: Badly reloaded by some asshat...I think it was a double or triple load...

Notice how it just blew down the length of the grip, designed to do so for shooter safety...
Link Posted: 8/25/2004 8:22:41 PM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:
not a one.

Too bad for you Lumpy...you are missing out.

I am a BIG HK fan. I have two HK91s,one 93 and a 94 and a .22cal HK270. For handguns I have a USP Tactical, P9S and a P7M8. And will own a MP5 someday.

HKs do cost a bit of money, but they are worth the price. I have never had a jam or FTF with a HK and I never will.

If there was one HK that is my favorite it would be the HK91.  
Link Posted: 8/25/2004 8:24:17 PM EDT
[#45]
I dont own one, they are kinda pricey for my taste.
Link Posted: 8/25/2004 8:29:09 PM EDT
[#46]
HK RULES!
Link Posted: 8/25/2004 8:47:51 PM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:
Through various topics and replies, I see a lot of mixed emotions about HK Firearms.  

Now, disregard their questionable customer service and choose only based on the products.

MP5's
G36's
USP's
UMP's
Mk23's
HK9X's
G3's
PSG-1's
P7's
P2000's
XM8's

Also, after you vote, which one do you like the best?  Or for those of you that don't like em, why?  

Feedback guys, give me some feedback!

The G-3 & descendants were a 'unique' design, and IMHO superior to the old baseline piston system...

The USP series gives you the very nice feature of single-action-only operation if desired, a/o the stupid decocker safety on most Euro guns... Cocked & Locked carry -> +1 for the USP...

However, their recent rifles are just the old-fashioned, 1940's era gas-piston system in a 'kewl' plastic package...  Poor competition for the AR (the last practical/innovative design to come up.)...

Link Posted: 8/25/2004 10:16:09 PM EDT
[#48]
only h&K I want other then there machine guns is the squezze cocker.
Link Posted: 8/26/2004 7:27:36 AM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:
only h&K I want other then there machine guns is the squezze cocker.

The P7 series are sweet guns!  Get one, you won't regret it.  
Link Posted: 8/26/2004 8:40:57 AM EDT
[#50]
I FINALLY got a HK91A3 this year and abso-friggin-lutly love it!
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top