Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/25/2004 5:59:57 AM EDT
I am in the process of stripping 80+ years worth of stain-varnish-wax-dirt off an oak (red oak to be exact) dining table and chair set.

What is a reccomended finish for the table top if food is going to be in contact with it?
Keep in mind I have a 2 yr old and one on the way...I don't want something that will transfer chemical to food or skin.
Link Posted: 8/25/2004 6:01:00 AM EDT
[#1]
Poly, water based is easier on your lungs.
Link Posted: 8/25/2004 6:03:00 AM EDT
[#2]
I used marine varnish on my 60 year old mahogony table. It repells everything. Probably even barnacles.
Link Posted: 8/25/2004 6:16:56 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
I am in the process of stripping 80+ years worth of stain-varnish-wax-dirt off an oak (red oak to be exact) dining table and chair set.

What is a reccomended finish for the table top if food is going to be in contact with it?
Keep in mind I have a 2 yr old and one on the way...I don't want something that will transfer chemical to food or skin.

I just built an Oak and Maple kitchen island for a friend.  I finished it with mineral oil.  
Link Posted: 8/25/2004 10:04:03 AM EDT
[#4]
I did a maple sideboard, with maple colored stain then several coast of polyurethane (little lite sanding in between coast).  Looks great.

GunLvr
Link Posted: 8/25/2004 10:08:50 AM EDT
[#5]
Doesn't sgtar15 work with wood? He ought to know.......
Link Posted: 8/25/2004 10:09:44 AM EDT
[#6]
several light coats of shalac, then wax. Several coats.
Link Posted: 8/25/2004 10:10:08 AM EDT
[#7]
MinWax wiping poly works really well. You can apply as much or as little as you like in thin coats.
Link Posted: 8/25/2004 1:45:34 PM EDT
[#8]
For table tops around youngsters, polyurethane is your best bet.  After stripping, figure what color you want and then stain.  The newer water based poly's don't impart much color of their own.  Figure three coats to build a layer of finish that will stand up to use and abuse.  Mineral oil, shellac and wax provide very, very thin layers of protection against moisture and dents.  They also need to be redone on a fairly constant basis.  Use the polyurethane, enjoy those kids and 'Fuhgeddaboutit'.
Link Posted: 8/25/2004 1:46:57 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
Doesn't sgtar15 work with wood? He ought to know.......

I am thinking Shelack...but I really don't know if the chemicals move into the food or not.

SGatr15
Link Posted: 8/25/2004 2:10:10 PM EDT
[#10]
Conversion varnish.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top