User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/24/2004 10:45:31 PM EDT
Die motherfucker DIE!!

August 24, 2004

Accused fragger preparing insanity defense

By Estes Thompson
Associated Press

FORT BRAGG, N.C. — A soldier charged with killing two officers in a grenade attack as the war with Iraq unfolded will get more time to prepare an insanity defense, a judge ruled Tuesday.

Sgt. Hasan Akbar, 33, is charged in a March 23, 2003, grenade attack that killed two officers and wounded 14 members of the 101st Airborne Division at Camp Pennsylvania, Kuwait, on the eve of the invasion of Iraq. He was assigned to an engineer unit.

A new trial date of Feb. 15 was set by the judge, Col. Stephen Henley, after defense lawyers said their psychiatric expert and an expert studying Akbar’s family wouldn’t be ready until March 7.

Henley noted that the defense case, which comes after jury selection and presentation of government evidence, probably wouldn’t have to begin until March.

Defense attorney Wazir Al-Haqq said a psychiatrist has determined “there was evidence of mental illness,” but the type hasn’t been determined.

Akbar faces the death penalty if he is convicted of two counts of premeditated murder in the deaths of Army Capt. Christopher Scott Seifert, 27, of Easton, Pa., and Air Force Maj. Gregory Stone, 40, of Boise, Idaho. Akbar also is charged with three counts of attempted murder.

Al-Haqq said a cultural anthropologist, Scharlette Holdman of Oakland, Calif., will study Akbar’s background as far back as his elementary school days in south-central Los Angeles.

“It goes into the roots of his life,” the civilian lawyer said.

Psychiatrist Dr. George Woods will delve into Akbar’s mental history.

The defense has tried before to delay the trial date, but a different judge denied the request.

Prosecutors said they were concerned about delaying the court-martial past the anticipated Oct. 25 date because many members of the military jury would be deployed to Iraq with the headquarters units of the 18th Airborne Corps at Fort Bragg. The defense said a new panel can be appointed.

Before the hearing adjourned, Akbar entered a not guilty plea to the charges and said he wanted to be tried by a jury of enlisted soldiers and officers.

Al-Haqq also said Akbar has been getting sleep lately because he military doctors have gotten him treatment for sleep apnea. In the past, Akbar has fallen asleep or appeared to do so during hearings.

“Today was the first time I’ve seen some gleam in his eye,” Al-Haqq said.

http://www.armytimes.com/story.php?f=1-292925-319441.php
Link Posted: 8/24/2004 10:47:54 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 8/24/2004 10:54:15 PM EDT
[#2]
How nice that they didnt waste any time rushing the prison abuse scandals to trial, but theyre dragging this one out. Theres no justice in this world. That should have been THE trial of the news but it seemed like a story that faded away quickly after it happened. Well it did by comparison to the prison scandal crap. Mustafa frags our beloved soldiers and its in the news for a couple of weeks. We haze some prisoners and its front page for months.
Link Posted: 8/24/2004 11:22:14 PM EDT
[#3]
Man, I was wondering the other day what was happening on this case, and here it is. I hope he gets what's coming to him. Death by firing squad.
Link Posted: 8/24/2004 11:23:35 PM EDT
[#4]
Crazy like a muslim!
Link Posted: 8/24/2004 11:24:33 PM EDT
[#5]
I hope he rots in hell......
Link Posted: 8/25/2004 6:15:47 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
Crazy like a muslim!

Link Posted: 8/25/2004 6:32:30 AM EDT
[#7]
I think he should rejoin his unit. <insert what ever evil emoticon is appropriate>
Link Posted: 8/25/2004 11:32:47 AM EDT
[#8]
bump
Link Posted: 8/25/2004 11:40:59 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
Defense attorney Wazir Al-Haqq said a psychiatrist has determined “there was evidence of mental illness,” but the type hasn’t been determined.

That's easy... the disease is Islam.

Why the hell is he still breathing?

If the Army pays my way to and from Ft. Bragg, I'll supply the gun and the round, and then we can be done with crap....
Link Posted: 8/25/2004 11:50:51 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Why the hell is he still breathing?

No kidding.  He nver should have made it to the brig alive.
Link Posted: 8/25/2004 11:51:26 AM EDT
[#11]
He should have been shot THAT NIGHT in Kuwait!!! Ooops, sorry about that. Piece of traitorous shit.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top