Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/24/2004 12:54:13 PM EDT
I have worked on my fair share of old cars/trucks put together one engine and done my share of R&R jobs.  

I have checked out a few vettes mostly C3's I have came across some real junk, I found a 68, thats been hacked up pretty good. It looks good but its a product of the 70's, fender flares, fat meat in the rear, cookie cutters in the front. Unoriginal 396.
Its a pretty bad ass vette but people tell me that vettes are just too expensive to fix.

I don't see the problem the interior is missing some parts but the body is super straight.

it runs (barely)

Its the cheapest C3 I have found I also like the BBC and 4 speed...
but 8 grand is sooo much for a project!

Vettes are just too cool thats the problem I can't resist.
Link Posted: 8/24/2004 12:58:10 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 8/24/2004 12:58:18 PM EDT
[#2]
The Chevy engine is the cheapest to build power into.
Small blocks are very cheap, but big blocks are not expensive for the power they create.  If most of the work is in the engine, you have it made.

Body parts can be expensive and painting fiberglass is more expensive than steel in most places.
Link Posted: 8/24/2004 1:01:44 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
The Chevy engine is the cheapest to build power into.
Small blocks are very cheap, but big blocks are not expensive for the power they create.  If most of the work is in the engine, you have it made.

Body parts can be expensive and painting fiberglass is more expensive than steel in most places.

yeah I know how cheap a SBC is, next to nothing for rebuild kits.

Are big blocks pretty affordable too?

What do you guys think about the 396? They sure pull good but I would rather have a 427 or 454...

Oh yeah I could care less about it being original, I also realize that if I ever try to sell it, it will be a hard sell.
Link Posted: 8/24/2004 1:02:27 PM EDT
[#4]
No you're not out of your league, YOU'RE OUT OF YOUR ELEMENT DONNY!
Link Posted: 8/24/2004 1:12:45 PM EDT
[#5]
are most of the reproduction interior pieces pretty available? Is the price similar to camaros?
Link Posted: 8/24/2004 1:20:58 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 8/24/2004 1:22:39 PM EDT
[#7]
no, but if you get a vette, "she" will definitely be in your league.
Link Posted: 8/24/2004 1:30:29 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
What do you mean by "repro interior pieces".

well obviously NOS vette parts are probably going to be threw the roof. I was hoping the repro parts aren't too bad??
Link Posted: 8/24/2004 1:43:21 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 8/24/2004 2:17:44 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
I have worked on my fair share of old cars/trucks put together one engine and done my share of R&R jobs.  

I have checked out a few vettes mostly C3's I have came across some real junk, I found a 68, thats been hacked up pretty good. It looks good but its a product of the 70's, fender flares, fat meat in the rear, cookie cutters in the front. Unoriginal 396.
Its a pretty bad ass vette but people tell me that vettes are just too expensive to fix.

I don't see the problem the interior is missing some parts but the body is super straight.

it runs (barely)

Its the cheapest C3 I have found I also like the BBC and 4 speed...
but 8 grand is sooo much for a project!

Vettes are just too cool thats the problem I can't resist.

I had a C4(95) model and loved it.  I got in a jam for money and had to sell her.  I have heard it said that a Vettes fan's two happiest days are the day he buys it and the day he sells it.  Sorry to say it , but it can be that way.  Mine had a few small problems even though it was very low mileage when I sold it.  They were just nagging problems.  Good luck and enjoy.

P.S. Get a new one with the HUD!
Link Posted: 8/24/2004 2:32:42 PM EDT
[#11]
I had a '79 Vette with the 1.6L H.O. engine in it.  Put 270,000 miles on it before the head warped.  Fun little hatchback!  My Camaro big block would run circles around it though!.....we are talking chevettes, right?

I've heard that the 70's Corvettes had frames that had rust problems.  396's can be bored to make a 427 but make sure it's a 4-bolt main block.  454's have weak cranks.  Small blocks handle better!
Link Posted: 8/24/2004 2:32:55 PM EDT
[#12]

If you're going to build a driver, buy anything you think is in reasonable condition and priced right.
Don't worry about buying NOS parts for it. It doesn't matter. Customize it a little, or a lot, if you want. Then drive it and love it.

If you intend to restore any car, you really need to start with a rare one. Restoring a high volume car, that has no collector value, is a good way to wind up with a car worth half what you have in it, or even less than that, and you'll eventually hate yourself for it.

The question I would ask myself is--Do I want to clean it with Q tips and go to car shows, or (like me) do I prefer to get them dirty and listen to the great noise they make?

Link Posted: 8/24/2004 2:44:55 PM EDT
[#13]
For $8,000 you should be able to find one that runs.

MT
Link Posted: 8/24/2004 2:47:56 PM EDT
[#14]
Go for it !  You only live once.  

Link Posted: 8/24/2004 3:25:49 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
For $8,000 you should be able to find one that runs.

MT

It runs and actually drives, its been sitting for at least 20 years so alot of the hoses and wiring is cracked.

I checked the trader nation wide, not too many early c3's for less than 12
Link Posted: 8/24/2004 3:46:03 PM EDT
[#16]
My companys parent company makes leather replacement seat covers for alot of classics, I'd expect vettes as well.

Lightening_p38, if you want some heated seat modules,let me know, I'll get you a killer price.
Link Posted: 8/24/2004 3:59:49 PM EDT
[#17]
It all depends on your personality . If you can be satisfied with a less then perfect Vette
Then by all means Jump on the boat . The problem is that Vette Owners tend to be Anal
Lets call it PCD ( Plastic Car Disease ) It starts off innocently enough , I'm just gonna get it running well . Then it needs Paint , then interior parts ..... Then ... then .....then

Pretty soon you have $30,000 and 5000 hrs into it when you realize it will never be the perfect
car you envision , so you sell it at a loss and start again with a better horse ..... And Then

Ask Me How I Know This
Link Posted: 8/24/2004 9:38:48 PM EDT
[#18]
I don't know, I think you could have alot of fun with a 396 in a Chevette! Oh Corvette I think if I had the money I would have one. I had been trying for years to get a friend talked out of his 58 Vette but he doesn't wanna part with her yet.
Link Posted: 8/24/2004 9:43:44 PM EDT
[#19]
I have been looking at a 79 Vette myself.   I know someone who has one they want to sell at a reasonable price.
Link Posted: 8/27/2004 5:09:26 PM EDT
[#20]
Repo interior parts are comparable to early Camaros.  The 396 is a good engine and will make power easily.  Pricing for parts is not dirt cheap like the SBC, but the BBC is cheaper than the other makers large blocks.  Check www.summitracing.com . If the engine is a pre-1972, you can usually get 1hp/cubic inch with just a rebuild, cam, intake and headers.  If you are going to invest in heads, you are better off getting them with an old 454 block and you can chase 500hp without sweating and under 6000rpm.

Body parts are available.  IT'S A CHEVY!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top