Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/23/2004 6:05:29 PM EDT
Watched it tonight on Nick-at-Night, and Beaver got "beasted on" by Gilbert. Ward told him to either go outside and take care of it, or continue to run home and cry about it. Beaver went out and kicked Gilbert in the arse. You will never see that on a current tv show.

Sad times we live in. Sure beats Queer Eye for the Straight Guy.
Link Posted: 8/23/2004 6:08:53 PM EDT
[#1]
Yeah!  One of my favorite lines was when the mother said "Ward, don't you think you were a little hard on the Beaver last night?"  
Link Posted: 8/23/2004 6:09:53 PM EDT
[#2]
Ward had a history of being hard on the Beaver, according to June.

Link Posted: 8/23/2004 6:11:19 PM EDT
[#3]
I watched it after The Andy Griffith Show which is the best show on tv ever.
Link Posted: 8/23/2004 6:11:30 PM EDT
[#4]
I'm betting June is a hella"va fuck!

Link Posted: 8/23/2004 6:15:56 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

smilies.cw08.calibra-web.de/html/images/smilies/love/2015.gif

Link Posted: 8/23/2004 6:17:05 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

That's a fact!  I watch that whenever I can.
Link Posted: 8/23/2004 6:19:25 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Have you found any good DVDs that don't have the same 6 shows on them?
Link Posted: 8/23/2004 6:23:23 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Have you found any good DVDs that don't have the same 6 shows on them?

I've got 2 different sets.  Each has 2 discs with 4 episodes on each disc.  The box says they are from the TV Classics series, if that helps.  I think I got them at Best Buy, and if I remember correctly there a few other sets I don't have.
Link Posted: 8/23/2004 6:24:40 PM EDT
[#9]
I have that set but thanks anyway.
Link Posted: 8/23/2004 6:34:29 PM EDT
[#10]
Cleaving June's Beaver
Link Posted: 8/23/2004 6:38:17 PM EDT
[#11]
I'd love to give June another set of pearls around her neck.
Link Posted: 8/23/2004 6:39:16 PM EDT
[#12]
i think it sucks
Link Posted: 8/23/2004 6:41:05 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
Yeah!  One of my favorite lines was when the mother said "Ward, don't you think you were a little hard on the Beaver last night?"  

+1
Link Posted: 8/23/2004 6:47:33 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Damn I was gonna say that
Link Posted: 8/23/2004 7:06:08 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Who played Andy Griffith on the Andy Griffith show?

10 points.
Link Posted: 8/23/2004 7:07:44 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

True story!
AB
Link Posted: 8/23/2004 7:09:01 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

10 points.

damn, I know the answer... it's right there on the tip of my tongue.... .hmmmmmmmmmmm
Link Posted: 8/23/2004 7:14:20 PM EDT
[#18]

Originally Posted By piccolo

Andrew Samuel Griffith
Link Posted: 8/23/2004 7:16:12 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Andrew Samuel Griffith

Link Posted: 8/23/2004 7:21:49 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Andrew Samuel Griffith

wrong
Link Posted: 8/23/2004 7:47:33 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Quoted:Yeah!  One of my favorite lines was when the mother said "Ward, don't you think you were a little hard on the Beaver last night?"  

If they ever remake the series do you think they will leave lines like that out?  :-)
Link Posted: 8/23/2004 7:51:01 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
smilies.cw08.calibra-web.de/html/images/smilies/love/2015.gif

Does she wear her pearls?
Link Posted: 8/23/2004 7:52:37 PM EDT
[#23]
I heard Eddie Haskell was tapping June when Ward was at work
Link Posted: 8/23/2004 8:30:20 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

wrong

Damn trick questions.

Link Posted: 8/23/2004 8:38:22 PM EDT
[#25]
I find the show incredibly dated and corny, notto mention unrealistic. But then most of the shows back then were like that.
Link Posted: 8/24/2004 7:16:52 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

Quoted:

wrong

Damn trick questions.

smilies.cw08.calibra-web.de/html/images/smilies/ugly/ugly3.gif

NOBODY played Andy riffith on the Andy Griffith Show. Andy Griffith played Sheriff Andy TAYLOR!
Link Posted: 8/24/2004 7:32:24 PM EDT
[#27]
There was something weird about that show though...

Why did they live in this HUGE fricking house...and Wally and Beaver shared a room ???

What the heck was going on in those other room??? Makes ya wonder...

Ed
Link Posted: 8/24/2004 7:35:49 PM EDT
[#28]
I miss the really good tv shows that were clean and you didn't have to turn the volume down or change channels when a child walked in the room
Link Posted: 8/24/2004 10:45:48 PM EDT
[#29]
What I like about shows like "Leave it to Beaver," "Ozzie & Harriet", "The Andy Griffith Show" is that everyone looked so clean-cut, especially the teenagers.  Their hairstyles are nicely cut, their clothes are totally decent-looking, and they are well-mannered ("Yes, sir!", "No, mam!", "Thank you, Mr. Rutherford!").  Now, you see kids wearing very loose pants hanging half way down their asses, wearing their friggin' baseball cap backwards at the dinner table, and demanding "Yo pops, pass me the gravy!" instead of "Dad, will you please pass me the gravy?".
Link Posted: 8/24/2004 11:01:44 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:
I miss the really good tv shows that were clean and you didn't have to turn the volume down or change channels when a child walked in the room

"...when a child walked in the room."

Or your Mother.

Either way, +1 on those shows.    
Link Posted: 8/25/2004 3:31:03 AM EDT
[#31]
Yep, those were the days. I try to get my kids to watch those shows so they can see how kids had respect for their parents back then and to help me instill in them some of those values from back then.

My favorite episode was  when Beaver went to play for the day with the trash mans  kids at the city dump. June was worried about the Beaver catching a disease at the dump. Ward ensured her it was ok and that when he was a kid they used to shoot rats at the city dump with their .22’s. Let’s hear THAT on a TV show from today!
Link Posted: 8/25/2004 4:06:41 AM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:
Yep, those were the days. I try to get my kids to watch those shows so they can see how kids had respect for their parents back then and to help me instill in them some of those values from back then.

My favorite episode was  when Beaver went to play for the day with the trash mans  kids at the city dump. June was worried about the Beaver catching a disease at the dump. Ward ensured her it was ok and that when he was a kid they used to shoot rats at the city dump with their .22’s. Let’s hear THAT on a TV show from today!

That episode was on about two weeks ago. I also wondered what people would do if they did a show like that (little kids shooting guns ) on tv today.
Link Posted: 8/25/2004 6:33:18 PM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

Quoted:

That episode was on about two weeks ago. I also wondered what people would do if they did a show like that (little kids shooting guns ) on tv today.

A favorite episode of mine, too.

Hell, I used to shoot rats at the dump with a .22.

I ought to tell you about the time...........
Link Posted: 8/25/2004 11:07:53 PM EDT
[#34]
I miss that show, Ward Cleaver sure was a good role model, I like the good manners and respect that the people in the 1950's had towards grown ups, they always say "yes mam' or "yes sir" or "hello mr Jones" or "good morning mr & mrs Cleaver" when talking with an adult. they always used good "etiquette".

remember the episode when Beaver climbed up into a big coffee cup?
Link Posted: 8/25/2004 11:11:53 PM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:

This is only true of the episodes that have Barney Fife in them, the others suck!, Barney made the show!
Link Posted: 8/25/2004 11:23:15 PM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:
There was something weird about that show though...

Why did they live in this HUGE fricking house...and Wally and Beaver shared a room ???

What the heck was going on in those other room??? Makes ya wonder...

Ed

Good point there.  It is impossible for a house that big to have two bedrooms upstairs.  Hmmm...didn't Ward use one of rooms as a den or was his den downstairs?
Link Posted: 8/25/2004 11:29:40 PM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:

Quoted:

This is only true of the episodes that have Barney Fife in them, the others suck!, Barney made the show!

+1
Link Posted: 8/26/2004 4:22:53 AM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:

Good point there.  It is impossible for a house that big to have two bedrooms upstairs.  Hmmm...didn't Ward use one of rooms as a den or was his den downstairs?

den was downstairs, just to the left as you walk in the front door.

there were 3 bedrooms upstairs.
Link Posted: 8/26/2004 7:55:53 AM EDT
[#39]
what city and state was "LEAVE it to BEAVER" portraying? I always thought it was a suburban town somewhere in California? it never snowed in the town they lived in.
Link Posted: 8/26/2004 8:19:30 AM EDT
[#40]
I like the episode where the Beaver has to go to an all girl party. He is saved by the girl's father showing him his gun collection.
Link Posted: 8/26/2004 8:27:12 AM EDT
[#41]

Dad, I think you might have been a little hard on the Beaver last night.
Link Posted: 8/26/2004 8:27:54 AM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:
what city and state was "LEAVE it to BEAVER" portraying? I always thought it was a suburban town somewhere in California? it never snowed in the town they lived in.

Columbus, Ohio, I believe.  I'm looking for confirmation.

On 485 Grant Avenue in Mayfield.  Later on, they moved to 211 Pine.

2) Where was Mayfield located?

The producers did not locate Mayfield in any particular state. They wanted Mayfield to be the suburb all viewers related to and thought they lived in. Hence, the producers went out of there way to avoid any suggestion of Mayfield being associated with any particular state. In one episode, the producers removed all of the destination cities from a reader board at a bus station to prevent viewers from guessing where Mayfield was located by finding its neighboring cities. Although there are eight Mayfields in the US, none of those Mayfields correspond to the characteristics of the Mayfield in Leave It To Beaver. Jerry Mathers often gets requests from the various Mayfields around the US asking Jerry to proclaim their Mayfield as the official LITB Mayfield.

3) Where might Mayfield be located?

Even though Mayfield isn't located in any state, it's still fun to find the clues and speculate.  The show contains numerous, contradictory clues.

Most importantly, LITB was written by several different writers, all of whom borrowed from their own childhood and families to compose stories.  So, there is no consistency.  It's certainly not like the writers had one particular Mayfield in mind and kept it as a closely guarded secret.

In the Voodoo Curse episode, there is an Ohio state banner in Eddie Haskell's’s room. In The Boat Builders, Ward Cleaver states that they "live twenty minutes from the ocean.". In other shows, they talk about visiting California and an Uncle who lives in Florida. When the Cleavers get away for the weekend at Friends Lake with its 30+ foot pine trees, one can be sure the Cleaver's are not in flat and baron states of New Mexico, Arizona, and Texas.

In one show, Wally’s high school teachers offers to take a group of students to Mexico for a summer trip. One can speculate that given a choice of two neighboring countries of Canada and Mexico, the closer country would probably be chosen. Therefore, the Cleavers lived closer to Mexico than to Canada.

In another show, the boys are interested in a surf board.  This would be a little use in the Midwest states, but of great interest in ocean bordering states.  Or, more accurately, this demonstrates how the writers borrowed from their own experiences to compose stories.

In yet another show, Ms. Landers explains how the new school bus will pick you up no matter where you leave. "Even in Chicago?" asks Larry. Another speculation is a kid would likely mention the closest major city that casts a shadow on the suburb of Mayfield. Therefore, Mayfield might be around Chicago.

In another episode, Beaver was leaving on a 6 week vacation, and was beginning to have second thoughts when Gilbert was flirting with his girlfriend.  Gilbert offered to show how to offer the girl to surf, eluding to a nearby ocean.

In the earlier episodes, Larry's dad was always traveling to Cincinnati on bus.

Of course, the show makes numerous mentions to neighboring cities and communities, and even street names, that would correspond with the Mayfield located in Ohio.  Ohio is always the most popular speculation.

In one of the episodes Wally takes the Beaver to the new amusement park with his friends, to ride on The Giant Dipper. The Giant Dipper is located in Santa Cruz but it is also in San Diego and in Chippewa Lake, Ohio. It is obvious that the contradictions are done on purpose. If they live in Mayfield, Ohio it would have taken Wally 1 hour and 13 minutes to drive to Chippewa Lake, That isn't far but for a teen taking his little brother to a park it would probably be out of the question.

More for Ohio: Especially after watching episodes #116 ³Beaver's Team² and #146³Wally's Dream Girl². In each of these shows, Ward makes references to Shaker Heights, which is about 15 minutes from Mayfield.  Also, there is a Grant Avenue, and Mayfield Village used to be farmland
around the time when Ward would have been a boy.

One fan writes to me: It was not California because the people who owned the Haunted house in "Mistaken Identity" moved to California. They are not from Indiana because the  new student (young blond girl) that Wally had a crush on, that Mrs. Cleaver invited on the picnic to Friends Lake was from Indianapolis Indiana or "one of those states." This seemed to eliminate Ohio, though the checkbook evidence seems quite positive proof. Illinois Ohio, Indiana seem to be one of those states.

Another fan is sure this is where Beaver actually lived.  He states: 'I live in Cleveland and the references made in the episodes can't be any where else.  Grant Avenue, Mayfield, and all the other bits of information indicate Mayfield Ohio.  We do have a Mayfield Ohio. '

Finally, closely inspecting the prop checks used in the 1997 Leave It To Beaver movie shows an Ohio address of "211 Pine Street, Mayfield, Ohio."  

The reality may be less glamour and more practical. Looking at the occasional exterior shots on Leave It To Beaver, Mayfield’s neighborhood looks pretty like the Pacific area, right around the region where Leave It To Beaver was filmed in Hollywood, California.

Link Posted: 8/26/2004 8:32:09 AM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:Yeah!  One of my favorite lines was when the mother said "Ward, don't you think you were a little hard on the Beaver last night?"  

If they ever remake the series do you think they will leave lines like that out?  :-)

It'll have to be an HBO original, huh?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top