Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/23/2004 4:02:53 AM EDT
NASTY...

I live in a condo that is adjacent to a large open space area with a detention pond.  Well, with all the rain here lately, the pond has swelled to about 200% of its usual size.   And my condo has been infested with lots of these little monsters.   I looked 'em up and they're called:

EARWIGS!

Nastly little bastards.    

Little fuckers can getcha with those pincers, although I don't think they're poisonous.  

I remember an urban legand from when i was a kid that said they crawl into your ear to lay eggs in your brain (ala Wrath of Kahn).   I'm sure that's where they get their name.

I've got good food and crumb discipline in my place, so they're not coming in for the food.   What the hell can I do to get rid of these.   Be midful that I have a 4 year old so nasty chemicals aren't preferred.  
Link Posted: 8/23/2004 4:45:29 AM EDT
[#1]
sleep...with...earplugs.
Link Posted: 8/23/2004 4:47:50 AM EDT
[#2]
you have home owner's insurance right? so you should be ok financially if the building were to burn down. just saying ...
Link Posted: 8/23/2004 4:51:25 AM EDT
[#3]
Isn't it called Retention  pond? Just nitpicking, anyway we have those little bastards here too. They're harmless, but I believe they can damage wood.
Link Posted: 8/23/2004 4:54:28 AM EDT
[#4]
We have those in Croatia.   Yeah they're nasty little buggers.  Old tales were that they would crawl into your ear and chop up your eardrum.  
Link Posted: 8/23/2004 4:54:54 AM EDT
[#5]
We live in heavily wooded area.  It's also pretty humid here in Indiana in the summer.  About the middle of the summer if it's rained a lot, we'll start to see them under wood piles and around garden sheds.  Anywhere there is dampness and dark.  They usually only last about a month or so and ordinary bug spray will kill them.  We used to spray around the house with Durisban, but they outlawed it.  We use something by Spectracide now but I can't think of it.  They are very bad about getting right into crawl spaces and such if you don't spray.  They die off pretty quick though because there's nothing for them to eat.  I hate those little bastards.  I can't stand bugs anyway.
Link Posted: 8/23/2004 4:55:38 AM EDT
[#6]
Nope they call it a detention pond in these parts (I even looked it up in the city code).   The pond takes runooff from streets, parking lots, and whatnot and "detains" it to avoid flood issues, and then the water si pumped into a nearby irrigation lateral.

Damn I hate these little bugs.  
Link Posted: 8/23/2004 5:08:11 AM EDT
[#7]
We have those things all over Fla. they are ugly but they don't hurt a thing. Spray a barrier inside & outside your home with some %0.5 Permethrin and it will solve your problem.
Link Posted: 8/23/2004 5:22:58 AM EDT
[#8]
Peltor Presidents
Link Posted: 8/23/2004 6:09:08 PM EDT
[#9]
Diazinon

and

Apple Pumice Slug Bait

Link Posted: 8/23/2004 6:13:11 PM EDT
[#10]
Ortho  home defence in the green bottle/jug will kill earwigs and keep others away
Link Posted: 8/23/2004 6:17:16 PM EDT
[#11]
Ahh...earwigs.  Easy to get rid of....Put cotton balls in your ears when you go to sleep.   If silverfish can make the mistake of crawling into your ears, so can these.  It's not common but better safe than sorry..  Not to mention just about every person on this board has swallowed a spider in their sleep.  
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top