Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/22/2004 7:59:40 PM EDT
Those of you that own ATV's. Do you keep them fueled up for use as an emergency Bug out rig? I was thinking about this today and was wanting to know how much fuel should I store. And what would be the best way to keep the fuel octane from breaking down?
Link Posted: 8/22/2004 8:09:07 PM EDT
[#1]
Not only fueled up but with spare gas cans that can be strapped on in an instant.

And the trailer nearby for emergency egress. I have a Nuke plant close by -- so it is  as far as I can get by auto , then the Iron horse.

10 gals
and fuel stabilizer

www.goldeagle.com/sta-bil/products.htm
Link Posted: 8/22/2004 8:21:38 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
Those of you that own ATV's. Do you keep them fueled up for use as an emergency Bug out rig? I was thinking about this today and was wanting to know how much fuel should I store. And what would be the best way to keep the fuel octane from breaking down?

Yes.  I cycle my 5 gal gas cans when I mow the acreage.  The ATV is just a very, very small part of my SHTF kit.
Link Posted: 8/22/2004 8:34:45 PM EDT
[#3]
Still building mine, no ATV for me, I'll be JEEPIN but only has a 15 Gallon tank so will need fuel storage. But where the hell would I go anyways. Everything is here thats worth fighting for.
Link Posted: 8/22/2004 8:36:26 PM EDT
[#4]
Youll need the ATV to forage for supplies eventually.  Not mention to avoid bad guys.  You should get a 4 stroke.  Alot quieter.
Link Posted: 8/22/2004 8:47:55 PM EDT
[#5]
I don't wont to avoid the bad guys I want the bad guys dead, then I'll take their rations.
Link Posted: 8/22/2004 8:51:06 PM EDT
[#6]
What if you run into some our guys and they are hungry?  If it was imbroglio you could just out shoot his 10/22 and 38.
Link Posted: 8/22/2004 9:00:35 PM EDT
[#7]
if by "bug out" you mean doing wheelies up and down my block and having bitch ass neighbors call the cops on me (not knowing that I'm a cop too so the cops just leave mwahahahaha..... except that time a liutenant came and wrote my friend 3 tickets )

then yea

but the quad has been out of service for a while
Link Posted: 8/23/2004 5:52:37 AM EDT
[#8]
I'm looking at a Artic Cat 650. I like those as they have IIRC , the largest rack raitings, the highest ground clearence, and most suspention travel, a true 2" reciever hitch, and a big gas tank.

I would look into a aftermarket spark arresting quiet muffler, some can cut noise bu almost 50% with out any loss in power and sometimes even more power.

For a serious SHTF machine I wouild look at, in no specific order,

660 Grizzly's
750 Kawasaki Brute Force, just coming out
650 Artic cat

S.O.
Link Posted: 8/23/2004 6:02:47 AM EDT
[#9]
Prm Products has a 6-pack rack that fits my suzuki 250r. A 50 cal ammo can slips right into it with room to spare.

Link Posted: 8/23/2004 6:04:55 AM EDT
[#10]
Now here is a SHTF/Bug out Rig!!!!!

Its a modded KFX700
Link Posted: 8/23/2004 9:01:05 AM EDT
[#11]
Ive ridden one of those KFXs they are FAST.

S.O.
Link Posted: 8/23/2004 3:40:46 PM EDT
[#12]
BTT for the evening crew.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top