Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/22/2004 3:56:26 PM EDT
Are there any companies out there that will dye or change the color of a poly frame such as the XD or glock ? Im curious because I wanted a XD in stainless with an olive frame but contacting springfield they said it was not an option, even if ordered thru there custom show. I find this weird since they make both a SS/black XD and they make a black slide/olive frame XD.  I now have the stainless/black frame XD SC but was curious as to options coloring the frame.
Link Posted: 8/22/2004 4:00:08 PM EDT
[#1]
Buy a SS/black and a black/olive ... swap the slides to get the gun you want, then sell the black slide black frame one.
Link Posted: 8/22/2004 4:02:50 PM EDT
[#2]
i thought about that Red, BUT both the slide and frame a serial numbered together. The damn number is all over the place. Woul it be kosher to swap parts around and then sell off a mis matched gun? I had thought about just buying another nd keeping both for myself.
Link Posted: 8/22/2004 4:09:19 PM EDT
[#3]
I think the number on the frame is the "official" one, since that's the part that's regulated.

Link Posted: 8/22/2004 4:14:08 PM EDT
[#4]
Buy the olive framed gun, then have the upper hard chromed or NP3'd. You get the look you want, and an indestructible finish.
Link Posted: 8/22/2004 4:18:47 PM EDT
[#5]
viper5194: Springfield doesn't mfg'r too much of their products any more. They just pretty much buy it 99.9% finished from the factories abroad. The Europeans are pretty anal about serial numbering all of the major parts such as frame, slide, & barrel.
Link Posted: 8/22/2004 4:24:40 PM EDT
[#6]
Aye, i figured as much but in the catolog they have a custom shop number you can call and they do custom work. Seems they didnt want to touch the compact.  Someone posted a while ago somewhere that you could get glock frames recolored. i was just curious as to who does this work. I may end up buying the olive frame/black slide XD SC and swaping parts .  I think having the slide redone in satin silver or hard chrome would cost almost as much as the whole gun is worth.
Link Posted: 8/22/2004 4:25:22 PM EDT
[#7]
HK is now offering certain models of the USP in three colors other than black.
Coyote brown/desert tan, olive drab and grey.
They look pretty good, especially the desert tan version.
I'm not sure if its for a limited time or not though.
Link Posted: 8/22/2004 4:26:31 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 8/22/2004 4:28:16 PM EDT
[#9]
Whats it cost to have a slide hard chromed matte finish, and who does that kind of work. Maybe Ill just buy the other one and do that, and give this one to my girlfriend.
Link Posted: 8/22/2004 6:52:30 PM EDT
[#10]
You can get just a slide assembly hardchromed for $50-$75, IIRC. Tripp Research is widely considered to be the best in the business, but I've heard good things about Accurate Plating and Weaponry as well.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top