Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/22/2004 12:13:09 PM EDT
I stopped at Waldens today as I wanted something to read while doing my laundry.
First thing I see in the front display are multiple copies of both Clintons' books, 1 or 2 Moore books, and Al Frankin's book. No conservative books to be seen up front. Stop by the computer section. 99% "_______ for Dummies." Go to the sci-fi section. It has shrunk, not much selection.
I had a $25 gift certificate, plus they had a sale, buy a magazine get 15% off a book, and I still didn't buy anything.
Only slight plus they had was a fairly large selection of Manga stuff, and while I wasn't interested in it it's the first time I've seen that large of a manga/anime book selection in a mainstream store.
Link Posted: 8/22/2004 12:15:17 PM EDT
[#1]
Barnes and Noble is the same in their current events section - 90% liberal, anti-Bush propaganda books. Maybe 10% Michelle Malkin type stuff.
Link Posted: 8/22/2004 12:29:25 PM EDT
[#2]
I walked into a Barnes and Noble last year and asked for a copy of "Unintended Consequences".

They replied that they did not keep "that kind of book" in stock but could order it for me. They also said that they would have to have either a credit card or a photocopy of my driver's license before they could order it. I told them no of course.
Link Posted: 8/22/2004 12:44:17 PM EDT
[#3]
I'm ashamed to say I worked at a waldenbooks for a summer a few years ago.

Granted, the employee discount on top of all the other discounts they always had ment that I hardly paid ANYTHING for books.  That was rather nice.

But even then it was a liberal shithole of a store.  I thought I was gonna be fired on the spot when I ordered myself a copy of Sun Tzu's "The Art of War" and Clauswitz' "On War" combined in one volume, with notes.  The manager didn't care that us employees would just order stuff we wanted and then pick it up the next day when it came in; it was the subject she couldn't handle.

Oh, and then there was all the teeny-bopper mall-rats that we constantly had to chase away from the playboy/penthouse/hustler mags.  And there was never a mall-ninja around when you needed one.
Link Posted: 8/22/2004 12:45:42 PM EDT
[#4]
Try finding a copy of "Unfit for Command" in a Borders in California.  Lee had some trouble with that one.  They usually shove them in the back so they're hard to find.
Link Posted: 8/22/2004 12:47:57 PM EDT
[#5]
Walden books is really gone down hill, in other words THEY SUCK
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top