Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/21/2004 3:47:21 AM EDT
Suspect Wounded In Officer-Involved Shooting

Undercover Detective Shot And Wounded Suspect

Aug 20, 2004 6:17 pm US/Pacific
LONG BEACH, Calif. (AP) An undercover detective shot and wounded a man during a struggle for the officer's gun Friday, police said.

The plainclothes investigator was working on an identity theft detail when he saw a man taking items out of a trash can shortly before 7 a.m., police said.

Authorities say discarded mail sometimes can yield personal information to thieves.

The detective identified himself as a police officer and asked for identification so he could cite the man for stealing from a trash bin, according to a police statement.

The man became angry and grabbed a radio and then a cell phone out of the officer's hands and ripped a chain badge from his neck.

A fight ensued during which the detective felt the man trying to remove his gun from his holster, police said.

The detective managed to roll over so the man couldn't get the gun and then kicked the man away. When the man again charged the detective, who was on the ground, the investigator fired a gunshot that hit him in the lower torso
, police said.

Johnny Brooks, 30, of Compton, was treated at a hospital and booked for investigation of felony assault on a police officer and three misdemeanor warrants.

The detective, a 22-year veteran, was treated for cuts, scrapes and bruises.
Link Posted: 8/21/2004 3:53:33 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 8/21/2004 4:01:31 AM EDT
[#2]
Compton.Cali, imagine that?
Link Posted: 8/21/2004 4:08:05 AM EDT
[#3]
Crook should die.
Link Posted: 8/21/2004 4:43:06 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 8/21/2004 9:47:28 AM EDT
[#5]

The detective identified himself as a police officer and asked for identification so he could cite the man for stealing from a trash bin, according to a police statement.

I thought once trash hit the dumpster/curb that it was public property and fair game to anyone who wanted it?

Isn't that how the PoPo searches through suspect's trash without needing to get a warrant?
Link Posted: 8/21/2004 9:54:45 AM EDT
[#6]
I guess this means we won't be seeing anymore of that guy who's mowing his lawn and whom had his identity stolen by some trailer queen?

(You know, that tv commercial)
Link Posted: 8/21/2004 10:00:39 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 8/21/2004 10:12:09 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

I thought once trash hit the dumpster/curb that it was public property and fair game to anyone who wanted it?

Isn't that how the PoPo searches through suspect's trash without needing to get a warrant?

The plainclothes investigator was working on an identity theft detail when he saw a man taking items out of a trash can shortly before 7 a.m., police said.

The SCOTUS said the trash belongs to the person who's can it's in until it becomes dumped in with other peoples garbage such as when it goes into the garbage truck ir dumpster.
It is protected under the Fourth Amendment until then.
Link Posted: 8/21/2004 10:17:39 AM EDT
[#9]
People snooping thru your discards is a warning to everybody, don't discard stuff with sensitive info on it without first destroying the info on it. Bills and CC statements are put thru a shredder.
Link Posted: 8/21/2004 10:19:07 AM EDT
[#10]
Note to idiot: If you somehow get the upper hand in a one on one with a cop, run AWAY at the earliest opportunity.
Link Posted: 8/21/2004 12:08:34 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 8/21/2004 12:31:11 PM EDT
[#12]
Good shoot. Makes me all happy inside.
Link Posted: 8/21/2004 12:51:54 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
Only thing I couldn't figure out was, if I had been able to get their and confront the guy, would I be charged with murder...or suicide?

Neither.  Desert.  Shovel.
Link Posted: 8/21/2004 2:06:43 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Quoted:

The SCOTUS said the trash belongs to the person who's can it's in until it becomes dumped in with other peoples garbage such as when it goes into the garbage truck ir dumpster.
It is protected under the Fourth Amendment until then.

Well that's interesting. I wonder how that works here in my neck of the woods. Residents of my city either have large 4-5 house 'dumpster' type trash bins in the alley, or single family trash cans that are provided by the city.

Link Posted: 8/21/2004 2:15:18 PM EDT
[#15]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top