Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/21/2004 12:47:17 AM EDT
a .300sum from an AR or the .50 beowulf at 150yds @ huge angry grizzly
Link Posted: 8/21/2004 12:50:53 AM EDT
[#1]
Depends on your shot placement.  If your talking which will cause the bear to bleed our faster i would probally go with the beowulf.
Link Posted: 8/21/2004 12:51:01 AM EDT
[#2]
Why would you shoot under powered crap at a bear so far away it cant possibly be bothering you and piss it off?
Link Posted: 8/21/2004 12:58:38 AM EDT
[#3]
yeah this question is bogus to begin with 1- because it assums you would see and piss off the bear at 150 yards and 2- you would shoot the damn thing from that far away anyways when you could either outrun it with a damn good head start or wait till it gets to at least 100 yards or so (although given the situation i dunno if id wait but who knows)
Link Posted: 8/21/2004 1:01:01 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
Why would you shoot under powered crap at a bear so far away it cant possibly be bothering you and piss it off?

lets just say that you're out deer huntin' and you don't sport a .338whbymag but just an AR .300rsaum or .50beowulf...and if both of the bullets placements were in the same place at those ranges...which would be more dependable.  5rds of beowulf or was it 7rds of .300
Link Posted: 8/21/2004 1:03:01 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
yeah this question is bogus to begin with 1- because it assums you would see and piss off the bear at 150 yards and 2- you would shoot the damn thing from that far away anyways when you could either outrun it with a damn good head start or wait till it gets to at least 100 yards or so (although given the situation i dunno if id wait but who knows)

I don't know about outrunning an angry grizz in rough terrain.....unless I just curl up into a ball and rolllllllllll down the side of the mountain..  

say the grizz was uphill and it's charging downhill....you'll have little time before its too late.
Link Posted: 8/21/2004 1:25:15 AM EDT
[#6]
I'd go for the heavier bullet and shot placement.  I saw pics of a guy in Montana shooting a grizzly bear with a .357 magnum, the bear got to him but he killed it before it mauled him.

The problem is a bullet good for bear may not have the performance you want for deer hunting.  Are you more interested in getting the deer or more worried about the bear getting you?
Link Posted: 8/21/2004 1:45:11 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
I'd go for the heavier bullet and shot placement.  I saw pics of a guy in Montana shooting a grizzly bear with a .357 magnum, the bear got to him but he killed it before it mauled him.

The problem is a bullet good for bear may not have the performance you want for deer hunting.  Are you more interested in getting the deer or more worried about the bear getting you?

well, it's gotta have the longrange punch and be able to drop a doped grizz before it makes you into a grizz sandwich.  a .338 in bolt action would be great but then you'll be limited to rounds and speed...what if the sucker popped up at 40yds and charged from your backside.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top