Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 8/8/2023 10:05:17 PM EDT
My wife and I are in a position to need a new and bigger vehicle. We have a two year old now and her civic and my ranger aren’t getting any bigger. We have been looking at the Hyundai Tuscon or the Santa Fe until she saw a video on FB someone sent her of a crash test with the explorer coming out on top.

I’ve already explained to her what I know about the water pumps on them from what I’ve read on here about them, but she is dead set on one after that video. They are in our budget as we can get one new locally for around $30k or just a bit more.

Edit: a minivan is t out of the question for her, but it needs to be a damn good deal.
Link Posted: 8/8/2023 10:07:41 PM EDT
[#1]
Only about $40 when they are on sale at Amazon.

Link Posted: 8/8/2023 10:08:27 PM EDT
[#2]
An Explorer is a patrol vehicle.
Link Posted: 8/8/2023 10:08:42 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 8/8/2023 10:11:45 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
A parent of a 4-Her in our club has had a loaner more often than her 2022 Explorer when she shows up at club.  She's had never ending transmission problems.

Maybe it's a one off?  I don't know.

View Quote

I only personally know one person who DD’s an explorer and it’s a 2021. She has close to 70k on it with zero problems. She is a real estate agent hence the mileage in a short span. She loves it.

Of course if money weren’t an issue I’d have a 4Runner setting in the driveway lol
Link Posted: 8/8/2023 10:16:36 PM EDT
[#5]
I drove three Explorers over 20 yrs. Have an F-150 now but would definitely buy another Explorer when I'm done with this truck
Link Posted: 8/8/2023 10:22:36 PM EDT
[#6]
My daughter just bought a brand new 3-row Explorer. It looks significantly nicer than the Exploders from 10-ish years ago.  I will be interested to see how it holds up.
Link Posted: 8/8/2023 10:22:36 PM EDT
[#7]
We had a 2013 Explorer. Great vehicle. Traded it for a big 2018 Expedition as our kids got bigger. That thing sucks.

Only issue we had was fuel pump, but it was replaced under warranty. Drove it to 120k i think (6 years).
Link Posted: 8/8/2023 10:23:47 PM EDT
[#8]
Our 2017 has been solid.
Link Posted: 8/8/2023 10:24:26 PM EDT
[#9]
Get the ST, it appears they give them a little more love in assembly.
Link Posted: 8/8/2023 10:25:23 PM EDT
[#10]
Newer ones based off RWD with front assist for AWD are golden.

The older ones that were FWD with rear assist for AWD were trash.
Link Posted: 8/8/2023 10:25:59 PM EDT
[#11]
MIL had one, nicknamed it the Exploder.

In all fairness, it had 120k miles before the engine blew.
Link Posted: 8/8/2023 10:27:37 PM EDT
[#12]
Sit in one. They're awkward. Your left foot needs to be turned inward and facing up. Just a ridiculous situation.

Just get a sienna. They're superior to all other mom mobiles unless you need the stow and blow seating from Chrysler. Which really is an amazing feature.
Link Posted: 8/8/2023 10:27:39 PM EDT
[#13]
They are inclined to roll over under certain conditions particularly ice and snow or cornering at excessive speed. If driven with the understanding that they are top heavy —- higher center of gravity than a 4dr they can be great vehicles. The Toyota 4Runner or Highlander would be my choice in that type.
Link Posted: 8/8/2023 10:29:07 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

I only personally know one person who DD's an explorer and it's a 2021. She has close to 70k on it with zero problems. She is a real estate agent hence the mileage in a short span. She loves it.

Of course if money weren't an issue I'd have a 4Runner setting in the driveway lol
View Quote
We've had two 2020+ Explorers. Both have been stellar/uneventful. FYI they're the best "driving" vehicle in its class. Chassis is spectacular and very dynamic. Punches way above its intended market.

The base 2.3 EB is good for a sub seven second 0-60, they're great in the snow and they're attractive. Wife wants another when her lease is up.
Link Posted: 8/8/2023 10:31:01 PM EDT
[#15]
4 runners are not as expensive as you think. Go look at one. Also look at a sequoia.
Link Posted: 8/8/2023 10:31:16 PM EDT
[#16]
Are you talking about the waterpump being behind the timing cover?

1. Issue is way overblown.  9/10 it will last longer than the timing chain.  1/10 you should probably replace your timing chain.

2. There's 2 seals with a weep hole.  You have to ignore it leaking antifreeze for some time before the second seal goes.

3.  Only an issue on older gen.
Link Posted: 8/8/2023 10:37:24 PM EDT
[#17]
Don't know a lot about the brand new ones. I have a 13 limited and its been trouble free. It was perfect for the kids games and vacation trips down the coast. 170k on it now and getting a bit long in the tooth. My neighbor bought one in 21 and drives it like he stole it. He has the ST and it moves out for a big gal.
Link Posted: 8/8/2023 10:50:01 PM EDT
[#18]
My mother bought a 2015 new it has had exhaust odor in the cab off and on that they can't fix.  Had to have a new transmission ( torque converter ) before it got to 55000 miles. They had to replace the cowl molding twice for wind noise and the power driver seat is broken. I wouldn't recommend them to anyone.
Link Posted: 8/8/2023 11:08:28 PM EDT
[#19]
I’ve got a 2019. Best ride I’ve ever had in a SUV. Little over 61,000 problem free mikes. I’d buy another.
Link Posted: 8/8/2023 11:12:42 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
They are inclined to roll over under certain conditions particularly ice and snow or cornering at excessive speed. If driven with the understanding that they are top heavy —- higher center of gravity than a 4dr they can be great vehicles. The Toyota 4Runner or Highlander would be my choice in that type.
View Quote

This isn't the 90's and your information is false, a 4runner would tip over now a days more than the modern Explorer.....

Cue under a rock meme....
Link Posted: 8/8/2023 11:14:54 PM EDT
[#21]
Can get a brand new in the 30s? Do it.

I'll never buy a brand new Ford, but the explorer is one of, if not the best vehicle they've ever made. No nostalgia or such, but one of the best vehicles made.
Link Posted: 8/8/2023 11:20:57 PM EDT
[#22]
My office manager got a very nice Explorer ST.  

Seven months later, it has a very nice new engine after a turbo apparently shat the bed in a manner that required a 3 month stay at the shop.
Link Posted: 8/8/2023 11:21:37 PM EDT
[#23]
I hope you like to walk.
Link Posted: 8/8/2023 11:23:29 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
My office manager got a very nice Explorer ST.  

Seven months later, it has a very nice new engine after a turbo apparently shat the bed in a manner that required a 3 month stay at the shop.
View Quote
As Posted above, I'll never buy a new Ford over the maverick shenanigans, but my pop owened a fleet of service trucks and an f250 dies with 8 miles on it. Had to have a transmission replaced.

And a 3 month stay in the shop should qualify for lemon law in most if not all states.
Link Posted: 8/8/2023 11:24:14 PM EDT
[#25]
Probably could find a Hernando de Soto.
Link Posted: 8/8/2023 11:27:55 PM EDT
[#26]
Test drive Honda Pilot, Hyundai Palisade, Kia Telluride, or Subaru Ascent first.

Compare notes.
Link Posted: 8/8/2023 11:28:51 PM EDT
[#27]
i have a 2023 ST, don't do it. POS and recalls.

the 8 speed tranny is a POS, but less gay than a Kia

Link Posted: 8/8/2023 11:29:40 PM EDT
[#28]
1st generation A4LD transmissions die around 145k miles.
Link Posted: 8/8/2023 11:31:24 PM EDT
[#29]
Oh.

I thought it said 'wife wants TO explore'... NVM
Link Posted: 8/8/2023 11:32:41 PM EDT
[#30]
Get a black one with no roof rack so everyone in front of you slows down to 5mph below the speed limit.
Link Posted: 8/8/2023 11:35:26 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
4 runners are not as expensive as you think. Go look at one. Also look at a sequoia.
View Quote

Oh I have looked. Our local Toyota dealer maaaaaaybe has one on the lot every month and it’s gone. That’s any trim package. The prices are absurd. $40k before taxes and the other add on bs for the most basic load out. For $40k I’ll buy an odyssey or a sienna as a previous poster suggested. However, if I find a new 4Runner for what I’m seeing the explorers listed at then I’ll happily jump on it.
Link Posted: 8/8/2023 11:36:28 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Are you talking about the waterpump being behind the timing cover?

1. Issue is way overblown.  9/10 it will last longer than the timing chain.  1/10 you should probably replace your timing chain.

2. There's 2 seals with a weep hole.  You have to ignore it leaking antifreeze for some time before the second seal goes.

3.  Only an issue on older gen.
View Quote

Maybe so. I’ve read on here more than a few times about the engine having to be pulled due to accessing a bad water pump on them. No specific engine mentioned though. It may very well be a thing of the past.
Link Posted: 8/8/2023 11:38:27 PM EDT
[#33]
Mine was the same way . Ended up buy a new 2019 Explorer sport with twin turbos . Love that car . Has been back to the dealer zero times .
Link Posted: 8/8/2023 11:41:48 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Get a black one with no roof rack so everyone in front of you slows down to 5mph below the speed limit.
View Quote
It's annoying, people drive slow as they think I'm state police as they're silver too
Link Posted: 8/8/2023 11:46:49 PM EDT
[#35]
I’d consider and ST or a Platinum for my next vehicle.

I have a ‘21 F150 and am driving a ‘23 that the dealership let me borrow. F150 prices are way too damn high.
Link Posted: 8/8/2023 11:49:23 PM EDT
[#36]
I have a 2020 XLT. Its been fantastic.
Link Posted: 8/8/2023 11:49:53 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

This isn't the 90's and your information is false, a 4runner would tip over now a days more than the modern Explorer.....

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Say what you will about his post, but at least his post has a tad more relevancy than my thoughts that this was some bizarre Meriwether Lewis thread.

[OP, would it kill you to use a bit more capitalization?]
Link Posted: 8/8/2023 11:52:38 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

Maybe so. I've read on here more than a few times about the engine having to be pulled due to accessing a bad water pump on them. No specific engine mentioned though. It may very well be a thing of the past.
View Quote
3.5 V6 Ecoboost and non-eco.

I think they switched to a different engine in 2020 with the new body.
Link Posted: 8/8/2023 11:55:42 PM EDT
[#39]
You and her new boyfriend get to go places?????
Link Posted: 8/8/2023 11:57:31 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
An Explorer is a patrol vehicle.
View Quote
Almost every  model FORD is enhanced by the prefix " Anal"
Anal Ranger.
Anal Excursion.
Anal Expedition.
Anal Flex.
Anal Probe.
Anal Maverick.
 ...............   If your wife wants an Anal Explorer, I'd say go ahead and get her one.

Link Posted: 8/9/2023 12:05:04 AM EDT
[#41]
If the explorer has a bigger dick than you then it may not workout to well for you.
Link Posted: 8/9/2023 12:06:33 AM EDT
[#42]
We got a new 2017 explorer when our first was born.

Still happy with it.
Link Posted: 8/9/2023 12:11:26 AM EDT
[#43]
We rented an Explorer on a trip to Santa Fe. We wanted our usual Tahoe, but they didn't have one. It was comfortable, had a nice, quiet ride and was generally just fine. On a trip to San Diego last month we rented a brand new Expedition (again no Tahoe) and it was surprisingly nice. I would say comparable to the Tahoe at this point. My point is that you'll be happy with the explorer. It's a good, solid vehicle. But if you can afford an Expedition or a Tahoe, you'll be happier.

ETA: I'm 6' 1", for reference.
Link Posted: 8/9/2023 12:12:30 AM EDT
[#44]
My father-in-law's has been out of commission sitting at the dealer since April waiting for some part from China.  It's a 2019/2020 if I recall correctly.
Link Posted: 8/9/2023 1:02:05 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
Say what you will about his post, but at least his post has a tad more relevancy than my thoughts that this was some bizarre Meriwether Lewis thread.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

But you seemed to have navigated my meaning just fine.
Link Posted: 8/9/2023 1:02:24 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Maybe so. I've read on here more than a few times about the engine having to be pulled due to accessing a bad water pump on them. No specific engine mentioned though. It may very well be a thing of the past.

Gotcha thanks for the clarification
Link Posted: 8/9/2023 1:02:48 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
You and her new boyfriend get to go places?????
View Quote

Fuck no that prick gets to stay his ass at home.
Link Posted: 8/9/2023 1:03:47 AM EDT
[#48]
My 2016 4 Runner has just over 200,000 miles on it it with zero mechanical issues. Nothing done but maintenance. Just saying...
Link Posted: 8/9/2023 1:07:56 AM EDT
[#49]
In for? Fucked
Link Posted: 8/9/2023 1:08:08 AM EDT
[#50]
I drive a 2017 on patrol, if you can mistreat a vehicle in a manner this poor car has seen it.

Water pump did go out at 100k, but didn't hurt anything and in all fairness it has the idle time on the motor of a car with 300k. Transmission has been solid, and it has been thrashed on.

The damn thing has hung on around corners when I wasn't sure it was going to and it has yet to not do what I need it to.
A small pieces of me will hurt the day I have to turn in 1701.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Top Top