Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/20/2004 10:57:40 AM EDT
I've always heard that asparagus makes your pee smell funny, but I've never taken notice before (I dont' eat asparagus much).  Today I had asparagus for lunch and just took a whizz that really smelled bad!  I wonder what chemical is in there to cause such a foul odor?  Anyone know?
Link Posted: 8/20/2004 10:58:54 AM EDT
[#1]
Eh, how bad could it be?

Let it sit for 3 days with the seat down... then give us a report.

- BUCC_Guy
Link Posted: 8/20/2004 11:01:40 AM EDT
[#2]
S-methyl thioacrylate and S-methyl 3-(methylthio)thiopropionate
These are produced when your body digests mercaptans (a type of chemical).  IIRC, mercaptans are why skunks stink, and one form is put into natural gass (in teeny-tiny amounts) to give it its odor.
Link Posted: 8/20/2004 11:03:11 AM EDT
[#3]

I love the stuff. My parents have had it growing on their property since I was a kid.

But the smell when you piss will peel the wallpaper in the bathroom
Link Posted: 8/20/2004 11:03:52 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
These are produced when your body digests mercaptans (a type of chemical).  IIRC, mercaptans are why skunks stink, and one form is put into natural gass (in teeny-tiny amounts) to give it its odor.

Wow...I'm impressed!  One can learn so much here.
Link Posted: 8/20/2004 11:06:30 AM EDT
[#5]
I CUSS
YOU CUSS
WE ALL CUSS
FOR ASPARAGUS
Link Posted: 8/20/2004 11:09:39 AM EDT
[#6]
Ya know what's truly fucking weird?

Everytime time I drink a lot of beer this overpowering sensation that I need to urinate really bad washes over me.

Thank Christ Gatorade still makes those wide-mouth bottles.
Link Posted: 8/20/2004 11:12:28 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Wow...I'm impressed!  One can learn so much here.

You have much to learn in the way of google-fu, Grasshopper.
Link Posted: 8/20/2004 11:13:05 AM EDT
[#8]
My wife likes to make it a bunch. It's great with raspberry vinegar on it.

Amazing in that I've had my pee start to stink within one hour of eating it.
Link Posted: 8/20/2004 11:15:20 AM EDT
[#9]
Yeah, it's brutal.  I mean, DAMN.  It's like chemical warefare...
Link Posted: 8/20/2004 11:19:35 AM EDT
[#10]
Why don't you just eat some and see for yourself? The effect will occur on you first piss after eating it.
Link Posted: 8/20/2004 11:34:30 AM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 8/20/2004 11:36:19 AM EDT
[#12]
Ive never noticed my whizz smelling worse after eating it....
Link Posted: 8/20/2004 11:48:40 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

never expected a technical answer
Link Posted: 8/20/2004 12:13:55 PM EDT
[#14]
I always thought asparagus was just piss in solid form anyway. So what would your piss smell like if you drank piss? Asparagus? Makes sense to me...
Link Posted: 8/20/2004 6:26:08 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Just admit that you made those words up........

No he didn't, well except for one. GASS with two S's
Link Posted: 8/20/2004 6:42:06 PM EDT
[#16]
++1
STINKY!
Link Posted: 8/20/2004 6:45:28 PM EDT
[#17]
I suppose everyone's heard the great story about Babe Ruth, while attending a banquet, telling the Queen of England that he didn't eat asparagus because it "made his urine smell".  
Link Posted: 8/20/2004 6:50:05 PM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 8/20/2004 6:51:13 PM EDT
[#19]
Gin makes my pee smell. I tsmells like gin.
Link Posted: 8/20/2004 6:57:55 PM EDT
[#20]
Ethyl Methyl badshit!, thats Fire Dept lingo for HAZMAT chemicals and Asparagus pee smells like HAZMAT .
Link Posted: 8/20/2004 7:19:29 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
Ive never noticed my whizz smelling worse after eating it....

It doesn't happen to everyone. There are certain people who have some gene or whatever that counters the mercaptan and they don't get the stinky pee.
Link Posted: 8/20/2004 7:32:09 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

That is the best answer I have ever seen on this board.  I eat a ton of the stuff, and when I do my piss does stink...but it is my stink, so it is o.k.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top