Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/20/2004 3:52:24 AM EDT

Statement by Navy Veteran Van Odell, Swift Boat Veterans for Truth, in Rebuttal to Michael Dobbs, Washington Post, August 19, 2004

A courageous, soft spoken man of the Midwest, Larry Thurlow has a heart bigger than the great plains and a commitment to truth and honesty that is boundless. He is under attack, because John Kerry is feeling the heat of truth at the hands of this honest man and others like him.

The Kerry Campaign is attacking the truthfulness of this man and the Bronze Star he so richly deserves for his actions on March 13, 1969. I was there. I saw what happened.

The mine’s detonation lifted PCF-3 completely out of the water just yards ahead of me. All boats commenced suppression fire in case enemy small arms fire ensued. None did.

All boats came to the aid of PCF-3, except one: John Kerry’s boat. Kerry fled.

Larry Thurlow piloted his boat straight toward the mine-damaged PCF-3 from which thick, black smoke billowed. He jumped aboard and personally led damage control operations that saved the boat and rescue operations that saved the lives of badly wounded men. Larry’s leadership was in the highest traditions of the naval service. His leadership allowed the other men and boats of the mission to exit the river safely.

This “single act of meritorious service” – the chief requirement of the Bronze Star – should be honored, not ridiculed, by the Kerry campaign and its allies in the mainstream media.

To reiterate, only one enemy weapon was deployed that day – the command-detonated submerged mine that disabled PCF-3. Larry Thurlow’s citation contained references to “enemy small arms and automatic weapons fire,” because that was the language chosen by John Kerry who penned the “spot report” on the action that day. There was no “enemy small arms and automatic weapons fire” received that day. John Kerry’s report was fiction – a hoax on the entire chain of command.

Larry Thurlow’s heroism and meritorious service, however, is real. To me Larry is one of the heroes of our country. He is a man who served his country when called and who returned home to be a productive citizen. Larry and men like him are the strong backbone of our society. I am proud to have served with him.
Link Posted: 8/20/2004 3:55:12 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 8/20/2004 3:58:07 AM EDT
[#2]
GASP!..This would SEEM to imply that the kommiefaggotkerry....................lied...........about somthing.
Link Posted: 8/20/2004 4:01:03 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 8/20/2004 4:01:22 AM EDT
[#4]
For Immediate Release
Statement By Swift Boat Veterans for Truth Member Van Odell

A courageous, soft spoken man of the Midwest, Larry Thurlow has a heart bigger than the great plains and a commitment to truth and honesty that is boundless. He is under attack, because John Kerry is feeling the heat of truth at the hands of this honest man and others like him.

The Kerry Campaign is attacking the truthfulness of this man and the Bronze Star he so richly deserves for his actions on March 13, 1969. I was there. I saw what happened.

The mine’s detonation lifted PCF-3 completely out of the water just yards ahead of me. All boats commenced suppression fire in case enemy small arms fire ensued. None did.

All boats came to the aid of PCF-3, except one: John Kerry’s boat. Kerry fled.

Larry Thurlow piloted his boat straight toward the mine-damaged PCF-3 from which thick, black smoke billowed. He jumped aboard and personally led damage control operations that saved the boat and rescue operations that saved the lives of badly wounded men. Larry’s leadership was in the highest traditions of the naval service. His leadership allowed the other men and boats of the mission to exit the river safely. This "single act of meritorious service" -– the chief requirement of the Bronze Star -– should be honored, not ridiculed, by the Kerry campaign and its allies in the mainstream media.

To reiterate, only one enemy weapon was deployed that day -– the command-detonated submerged mine that disabled PCF-3. Larry Thurlow's citation contained references to "enemy small arms and automatic weapons fire," because that was the language chosen by John Kerry who penned the "spot report" on the action that day. There was no "enemy small arms and automatic weapons fire" received that day. John Kerry’s report was fiction -– a hoax on the entire chain of command. Larry Thurlow's heroism and meritorious service, however, is real.

To me Larry is one of the heroes of our country. He is a man who served his country when called and who returned home to be a productive citizen. Larry and men like him are the strong backbone of our society. I am proud to have served with him.

Link Posted: 8/20/2004 4:06:14 AM EDT
[#5]
It is at least having an effect on veterans. CBS showed a poll this morning indicating that prior to these ads and this information coming to light, Kerry held 55% support from veterans (which is likely waaaaaaaaaaaay overestimated, no way that piece of shit could have 55% support from veterans). Now that support has dropped to 37%.

Considering how close this election is and how many veterans there are, this seems fairly significant. It also shows that many veterans seem to feel the Swiftboat folks are being more truthful, with the shift in opinion. That says a lot also.

While I am not big on smear ads such as these, Kerry's side sure has used a shitload of them. That in conjunction with Kerry's bragging about his record only opened himself up to such criticism. When you have MoveOn.org airing ads comparing Bush to Hitler, what do you expect your opposition to do? Kerry and his supporters have been making false attacks on Bush now for months. All I can tell them is that if they can't take the heat, don't fire up the oven. Now we have Kerry blaming Bush for these ads because he doesn't "denounce" them! I didn't see Kerry denouncing any of the unfair and untruthful attacks from Michael Moore, MoveOn.org, etc. IMHO, he and the left are now wallowing in the bed they made.
Link Posted: 8/20/2004 4:08:10 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 8/20/2004 4:12:34 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Quoted:
The longer this drags on, the more it makes everybody involved look like asses.

I don't think everybody looks like asses.

+1

I only see 1 ass, and it sure as hell isn't Thurlow.
Link Posted: 8/20/2004 4:13:00 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
The longer this drags on, the more it makes everybody involved look like asses.

BULLSHIT!!!!!!

This will sink Kerry!(Excuss the pun)

Democrates oicked thge wrong guy and they now know it!

SGatr15
Link Posted: 8/20/2004 4:17:00 AM EDT
[#9]

Shameful --  makes one wonder about others , how many bogus -  purple heart / bronze star / silver star / recipients out there.
Link Posted: 8/20/2004 4:23:51 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
Shameful --  makes one wonder about others , how many bogus -  purple heart / bronze star / silver star / recipients out there.

Read the whole article but go down half way to see what he has to say about his award...

www.mwweb.com/ndc/SwiftBoats/flagday.htm
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top