Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/19/2004 1:25:16 PM EDT
Anyone else here have problems shooting prone?

Its supposed to be your most accurate, but unless I have a rest under the barrel, its not for me.  Hard elbows on hard ground make it hard for me.

I'm much much better at sitting.  Which is good because I love to shoot sitting.
Link Posted: 8/19/2004 1:27:16 PM EDT
[#1]
you need to get a proper shooting mat, which is semi-padded in the right areas. a shooting jacket also helps. in lieu of a shooting jacket elbow pads from a sporting goods store will help. what time of rifle are you shooting? are you using a sling?
Link Posted: 8/19/2004 1:29:25 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 8/19/2004 1:32:08 PM EDT
[#3]
You will find it comes easy when someone is shooting back at you.
Link Posted: 8/19/2004 1:32:53 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 8/19/2004 1:37:25 PM EDT
[#5]
Sitting?  Shooting mat and jacket?  Does anyone shoot in the field anymore?  
Link Posted: 8/19/2004 1:38:13 PM EDT
[#6]
I was f'd up in a rear-end crash.  I had a ruptured L5-S1 disc and a surgery later, my body don't like going prone.  While it is uncomfortable for my back, I can do it- however it'll cause a back ache for a while afterwards. My neck has lost range of motion and there is a nasty sensation when I'm prone on a rifle. (Krink in the neck) Never really bothered much with the elbows.  I have a tall Harris "S" series bipod that allows me to shoot sitting. I use it for everything from competition to hunting.

Sly
Link Posted: 8/19/2004 1:39:29 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
my beer gut usually makes me wobble

As I say, its not a beer gut.....its my built in swivel point.
Link Posted: 8/19/2004 1:42:13 PM EDT
[#8]
Three, well four, words:

Natural point of aim.

If you and the rifle are not all twisted up, shooting prone is easy.  Try a sling and a shooting jacket, too.
Link Posted: 8/19/2004 6:41:13 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
Sitting?  Shooting mat and jacket?  Does anyone shoot in the field anymore?  

Dude, sitting is probably the best field shooting position.

Sitting is accurate (I can shoot 1" @100 ) yet gets you higher off the ground so you dont worry about grass as much as prone.  Craig Boddington just did an article about the virtues of sitting for field shooting.

But no, I haven't been using a mat or jacket, just my sling, which is what I have when I'm in the field.  
Link Posted: 8/19/2004 6:44:47 PM EDT
[#10]
I laid prone ONCE and shot a 300 Weatherby.

NEVER again.

I haven't tried my '06 prone yet. I have a steady stick I use if there's not a rest around.
Link Posted: 8/19/2004 6:45:25 PM EDT
[#11]
Two words: Breast Reduction.
Link Posted: 8/19/2004 6:46:19 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
I was f'd up in a rear-end crash.  I had a ruptured L5-S1 disc and a surgery later, my body don't like going prone.  While it is uncomfortable for my back, I can do it- however it'll cause a back ache for a while afterwards. My neck has lost range of motion and there is a nasty sensation when I'm prone on a rifle. (Krink in the neck) Never really bothered much with the elbows.  I have a tall Harris "S" series bipod that allows me to shoot sitting. I use it for everything from competition to hunting.

Sly

+1...actually lying down is fine....getting back up however is a VERY differant story.

SGatr15
Link Posted: 8/19/2004 6:49:00 PM EDT
[#13]
Shooting prone can be a little difficult, with the elbows resting and such.  Get a good mat with padding in the right places and it will help.  

The first highpower match I shot in, surprisingly, I shot the best offhand.  Go figure...  
Link Posted: 8/19/2004 6:51:21 PM EDT
[#14]
I'm 6 foot, 450 and I can shoot prone with an AR just fine, so no bitching about the beer gut .  It does take a while to get used to, but once you get accustomed to it it's sweet.

OTOH, I had trouble with my M70 featherweight.  Prone seems to magnify stock fit problems.

jafager
Link Posted: 8/19/2004 6:52:22 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

+1...actually lying down is fine....getting back up however is a VERY differant story.

SGatr15

Bingo.
Link Posted: 8/19/2004 7:04:12 PM EDT
[#16]
get elbow pads (not hard shell types) a bipod or a ruck to rest your rifle in...

or better yet suck it up
Link Posted: 8/19/2004 7:15:02 PM EDT
[#17]
Many years back when I was much smarter I took a slight uphill shot at an Elk with a 375 H&H from the Prone position, it was as if we were both hit with a bolt of lighthing.
Link Posted: 8/19/2004 7:17:43 PM EDT
[#18]
Prone works best for me by far. I shot up 4 paper plates at 60 yards about a week ago and the prone ones were all grouped nicely. Next best was sitting. Then standing, then kneeling (yes, I actually did better standing than kneeling--not quite sure why). I almost took a pic to post, but I got lazy.

But prone was best, no doubt.
Link Posted: 8/19/2004 7:19:28 PM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 8/19/2004 7:26:45 PM EDT
[#20]
Why hasn't anyone mentioned the obvious?

USE A DAMN SHOOTING SLING!

The cheap $5 USGI M1 canvas slings make kick ass shooting slings.  That's what they are for.  Carrying the rifle slung on your shoulder is a nice side benefit.
Link Posted: 8/19/2004 7:39:16 PM EDT
[#21]
Me!  As soon as I get it figured out I'll make HM XC.

SRM
Link Posted: 8/19/2004 7:41:34 PM EDT
[#22]
My dong gets in the way.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top