Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/19/2004 6:35:40 AM EDT
Kill Bill Volume 2.  Rented it two days ago and it won't play in my DVD player.  It plays just fine in my computer.  All other DVDs play fine.  I took the DVD back to Blockbuster, and she gave me a brand new never rented one to try - it does the same thing.  I watched her put the first DVD in a player at the store and it worked fine.  At home, just the intro page plays, with no volume, then it stops playing and will not fast fwd or anything.  The stop button even has no effect.  It plays the first 13 seconds of the DVD.  It's like it hangs up - but two different DVDs?  And they both did exactly the same thing.

I checked the parental controls - the DVD is a level 6.  My player will go to 8, but it was shut off when I started. And is shut off now.

The DVD is a Region 1, and so is my player.

There are no other locks or anything on the player.  Is there some other code in the DVD?

I looked in the manual, and tried unplugging the player for one hour, hoping something would reset.  No luck.

My player does not have a program pending.

This is weird shit.  Anybody got any ideas?  

Thanks - I want to watch Kill Bill 2.
Link Posted: 8/19/2004 6:51:17 AM EDT
[#1]
It could be a bad batch of DVD's.  All of blockbusters could be from the same batch so that would make all of them bad in your player.  If your player is on the cheaper end of the scale, it may not play some DVD's correctly.  Some players are better able to play dvds that are slightly flawed than others.
Link Posted: 8/19/2004 6:56:07 AM EDT
[#2]
The batch at a Hollywood video where my friend works in San Antonio was bad.  We rented it before it was generally released and the DVD was bad
Link Posted: 8/19/2004 6:56:18 AM EDT
[#3]
Not all DVD's are created equally.

ByteTheBullet  (-:
Link Posted: 8/19/2004 7:06:18 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
The batch at a Hollywood video where my friend works in San Antonio was bad.  We rented it before it was generally released and the DVD was bad

SA?  I rented mine from the one on 78 near HEB.

Thing is, the first one I took back worked fine in their player.  So I'm thinking it's something to do with my player.
Link Posted: 8/19/2004 7:08:31 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
It could be a bad batch of DVD's.  All of blockbusters could be from the same batch so that would make all of them bad in your player.  If your player is on the cheaper end of the scale, it may not play some DVD's correctly.  Some players are better able to play dvds that are slightly flawed than others.

I've been reading online for a bit - sure are a lot of variables.

Thanks guys.
Link Posted: 8/19/2004 7:09:22 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
Not all DVD's are created equally.
ByteTheBullet  (-:

I'm finding that out, for sure.
Link Posted: 8/19/2004 7:10:51 AM EDT
[#7]
Do you have a dvd burner?
If you do ripp the dvd and reburn it to a new disk.
Of course you will destroy the copy when you return the rental.
I have had this work in the past on hard to play dvd's
NoKarma
Link Posted: 8/19/2004 7:33:55 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Thanks.

I'm trying to figure that out now - saw it suggested at a search hit for KillBill problems.

Just gotta figure out if my computer is comptable with my player.
Link Posted: 8/19/2004 7:39:15 AM EDT
[#9]
Some DVDs simply do not play in certain players. Note that some also have problems with layer changes. With my circa 1999/2000 RCA player, I have problems with the Lord of the Rings trilogy. I had to finish playing it on my PS2.

There's a DVD compatibility guide on the Net somewhere. I lost track of it because I've slowed my DVD purchasing down to stuff I really want, not just stuff I think would fill out my collection or be neat to own.
Link Posted: 8/19/2004 7:44:12 AM EDT
[#10]
Rented KB2 last night, but havent tried it yet.  I will pop it in and repor tback shortly.
Link Posted: 8/19/2004 7:47:24 AM EDT
[#11]
After action report:

It plays just fine in my sony progressive scan carousel.
Link Posted: 8/19/2004 7:52:36 AM EDT
[#12]
Could it somehow be a disc from the wrong region?  If so, you can probably hack your dvd player to be region free fairly easily.
Link Posted: 8/19/2004 8:01:56 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Thanks.

I'm trying to figure that out now - saw it suggested at a search hit for KillBill problems.

Just gotta figure out if my computer is comptable with my player.

Most of the time it comes down to what brand of dvd-r you ise to burn it on.
I highly recomend Ritech brand works great.
NoKarma
Link Posted: 8/19/2004 9:56:04 AM EDT
[#14]
no problem here with my version of kb2 - in fact, i have never had a problem with any dvd's. ymmv, obviously.  
mp
Link Posted: 8/19/2004 12:42:20 PM EDT
[#15]
I've probably only watched 15 or so movies and never had a prob -  until today.

Thanks guys.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top