Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/19/2004 4:42:01 AM EDT
What a FUCKING TOOL.

www.newsday.com/news/local/wire/ny-bc-ny--rifleban0818aug18,0,1071776.story?coll=ny-ap-regional-wire

New York Rep. Maloney calls for ban on .50-caliber sniper rifles

By SAM DOLNICK
Associated Press Writer

August 18, 2004, 4:28 PM EDT

NEW YORK -- New York Rep. Carolyn Maloney called for a federal ban of .50-caliber anti-armor sniper rifles, which can be legally bought and are "obvious weapons of mass destruction in the hands of a terrorist."

"This weapon was not built for hobbies or marksmanship but for military purposes," she said at a news conference Wednesday.

The rifles can pierce armor and destroy aircraft, said Maloney, chair of the House Democratic Caucus Task Force on Homeland Security.

A senior policy analyst with the Washington, D.C.-based Violence Policy Center, Tom Diaz, joined Maloney and called the rifles "ideal tools for terrorists."

"It's not an ordinary rifle, it's a weapon of war," said Diaz, the author of several studies analyzing sniper rifles.

The .50-caliber rifles are "as easy to purchase as a regular rifle and even easier than a handgun" and should be banned or at least highly regulated, said Maloney, who serves Manhattan and Queens.

Under federal law, no one under 21 can legally buy a handgun, but an 18-year-old who passes a security check can buy a .50-caliber rifle, Maloney said.

Maloney and Virginia Rep. James Moran have sponsored a bill in the House to ban .50-caliber rifles. The rifles are not covered by the federal assault weapons ban, which expires Sept. 13.

Calling the rifles "a serious danger to civilian airplanes and chemical factories," Maloney warned of catastrophe if terrorists used the weapons in the United States.

The congresswoman said al-Qaida already has a cache of the rifles, pointing to the 2001 testimony of a government witness, Essam al-Ridi, who said he shipped 25 .50-caliber sniper rifles to al-Qaida in Afghanistan in the late 1980s.

Al-Ridi testified to the rifle sales in Manhattan federal court in February 2001 in connection with the bombings of two American embassies in Africa, Maloney said.

The sniper rifles weigh about 30 pounds and sell for $1,200 to $12,000, Diaz said. They are used by U.S. troops in Iraq and are accurate at distances of more than a mile, he added.

The National Rifle Association disagreed with the congresswoman's portrayal of the weapons.

"The simple fact is that .50-calibers have not been used in crimes," NRA spokesman Andrew Arulandam said. "They are large, cumbersome and expensive firearms. They are widely used by long-range marksmen who engage in competition."
Link Posted: 8/19/2004 4:44:43 AM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:
"This weapon was not built for hobbies or marksmanship but for military purposes," she said at a news conference Wednesday.

Pardon me, but didn't the military adopt them AFTER civilians proved their workability as a portable long range firearm.  
Link Posted: 8/19/2004 4:47:10 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Pardon me, but didn't the military adopt them AFTER civilians proved their workability as a portable long range firearm.  

Please don't go confusing the issue with facts!
Link Posted: 8/19/2004 4:57:03 AM EDT
[#3]
I just wish someone would propose a ban on stupid people. That would be one piece of legislation I would fully support.
Link Posted: 8/19/2004 4:58:26 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
Calling the rifles "a serious danger to civilian airplanes and chemical factories," Maloney warned of catastrophe if terrorists used the weapons in the United States.

Yes, Officer, I shoot down airplanes with one and blow up chemical factories with my other.  I provide air defense for the north east region and I have a connection to NORAD so I know what I'm shooting at.   What a fucking tool is right.  
Link Posted: 8/19/2004 4:59:25 AM EDT
[#5]
Remember, this is the woman who rose to power by waving the bloody shirts of her husband and son, who were killed by some whacko who ignored the laws she so desperately supports.

That little detail seems to be beyond the capacity of her one neuron to accept....
Link Posted: 8/19/2004 5:01:09 AM EDT
[#6]
Well you know what they say, "If it moves a democrat wants to tax it, if it moves to fast they want to regulate it and if it stops moving, they want to subsidize it."
Link Posted: 8/19/2004 5:02:28 AM EDT
[#7]
"but an 18-year-old who passes a security check can buy a .50-caliber rifle"

Ummm..... OK.... So you are saying that LEGALLY competent people who are also trusted to drive cars, become police officers, fly a plane, join the military, become a parent, get a government job, operate a crane 50 stories over Manhattan can buy a gun?  Oh, dear...the fucking tragedy of it all..

What an absolute dick.  The woman kills her own argument in that one statement.  She did not even say these things were flooding the streets.
Link Posted: 8/19/2004 5:03:01 AM EDT
[#8]
Grandstanding for the election.
Link Posted: 8/19/2004 5:03:51 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
Remember, this is the woman who rose to power by waving the bloody shirts of her husband and son, who were killed by some whacko who ignored the laws she so desperately supports.

That little detail seems to be beyond the capacity of her one neuron to accept....

Um no it's not that was Carolyn McCarthy
Link Posted: 8/19/2004 5:03:54 AM EDT
[#10]
Wasn't her name McCarthy? Did she re-marry or something?

ETA: these are two different Carolyns. 4th and 14th districts. I think McCarthy is the one whose husband and son were shot.
Link Posted: 8/19/2004 5:04:49 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
Well you know what they say, "If it moves a democrat wants to tax it, if it moves to fast they want to regulate it and if it stops moving, they want to subsidize it."

Didn't RR say that?
Link Posted: 8/19/2004 5:07:49 AM EDT
[#12]
Funny, I'm not a terrorist, yet I've been wanting a fifty for quite a while now.

Maybe I am a terrorist....
Link Posted: 8/19/2004 5:11:36 AM EDT
[#13]
Didn't that guy who built a tank out of his tractor prove that the .50bmg was not effective against the local LP tanks?

ktm500
Link Posted: 8/19/2004 5:19:07 AM EDT
[#14]
Maloney can blow my baloney!
Link Posted: 8/19/2004 5:25:16 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
I just wish someone would propose a ban on stupid people. That would be one piece of legislation I would fully support.

Yes, every law contains one major flaw, it asks crooks to obey it and they never do. Everyone else just looses a little more freedom.
Link Posted: 8/19/2004 5:26:36 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Please don't go confusing the issue with facts!

Or history.  Governmental officals love to rewrite history.
Link Posted: 8/19/2004 5:31:19 AM EDT
[#17]
this rifle can ONLY be aimed at chemical factories and airplanes, schools, baby seals and bald eagles.

ban them
Link Posted: 8/19/2004 11:05:04 AM EDT
[#18]
planes have killed a lot more in terrorist attacks than guns (other than the arab shooting up the Israeli check in desk at LAX has there been a terrorist using a gun in the US?)
lets ban planes
wonder if she'd see the stupidity of her comment if this was pointed out to her?
Link Posted: 8/19/2004 11:15:37 AM EDT
[#19]
I just sold my Motor Cycle this week and was wonder what to buy.  Looks like a .50 might be a good idea.
Link Posted: 8/19/2004 11:24:13 AM EDT
[#20]
I wish I had the money to go buy a .50.  Never even seen one around here.
Link Posted: 8/19/2004 11:29:39 AM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 8/19/2004 11:34:46 AM EDT
[#22]
It's the same old obvious story...

The leftists aren't concerned with public safety, their only concern is in disarming American citizens. The armed citizen is the final roadblock that they must remove before they can create their leftist utopia. They'll use any excuse and any lie to achieve that goal.

...and we all know it's true.
Link Posted: 8/19/2004 11:37:27 AM EDT
[#23]
I can't take the bullshit anymore!

There has never been a single instance of a .50 caliber rifle being used by a criminal in this country! I think that there has only been one instance, where an IRA terrorist used one to kill a British soldier, once! In the entire history of the world, ONCE!!!!

Link Posted: 8/19/2004 11:42:04 AM EDT
[#24]
First thing I did with mine was to shoot it at satellites. Then there was the time the ISS went overhead, missed it by this ------ much!.

Link Posted: 8/19/2004 11:46:42 AM EDT
[#25]
www.house.gov/maloney/

My comment to her via email:

http://www.fcsa.org/

How DARE you say that fifty caliber weapons are not used in  marksmanship. Do your homework before you run your mouth and embarass yourself further.
Link Posted: 8/19/2004 12:01:49 PM EDT
[#26]
New York Rep. Maloney calls for ban on .50-caliber sniper rifles  
Dumb bitch! She got on the hoplophpbic band wagon because of her husband's murder on the LIRR. If one person on that train car where her husband was killed by Colin Ferguson was carrying ( not a chance in NYC), they would have capped his (Ferguson's) ass and put an end to it  wicki wicki .
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top