Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/18/2004 5:18:07 PM EDT
anyone here ever done a tactical reload under fire?

defined as:  grabbing full mag.  releasing partially loaded mag into same hand as full mag.  inserting full mag.  stashing partially loaded mag in pocket for future use.

hangun/rifle whatever

military/cop/civilian   as long as you had bad guys SHOOTING at you

i'm only asking because a few guys in the handgun forum seem to think juggling mags in a firefight is a good idea.  
Link Posted: 8/18/2004 5:33:18 PM EDT
[#1]
I do this all the time...when playing Americas Army.
Link Posted: 8/18/2004 6:08:30 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
anyone here ever done a tactical reload under fire?

defined as:  grabbing full mag.  releasing partially loaded mag into same hand as full mag.  inserting full mag.  stashing partially loaded mag in pocket for future use.

hangun/rifle whatever

military/cop/civilian   as long as you had bad guys SHOOTING at you

i'm only asking because a few guys in the handgun forum seem to think juggling mags in a firefight is a good idea.  

Good idea for a LULL in the shooting.  Keep your empties and partial mags seperate if you can, consolidate partial mags when you get a chance.
Link Posted: 8/18/2004 6:11:38 PM EDT
[#3]
So if you replace an empty mag, that's a non-tactical reload?
Link Posted: 8/18/2004 6:12:35 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

w00t!
Link Posted: 8/18/2004 6:12:45 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

+1
Link Posted: 8/18/2004 6:14:14 PM EDT
[#6]
no
Link Posted: 8/18/2004 6:16:22 PM EDT
[#7]
I don't need to be shot at to know that juggling mags is bad juju in a firefight.

Of course, when I was 5, I put my hand on a t-shirt iron at a fair to see if it was hot...

Might have to try it and let you know
Link Posted: 8/18/2004 6:18:30 PM EDT
[#8]
1st gulf war (Marines)

Link Posted: 8/18/2004 6:19:02 PM EDT
[#9]
Does it really matter? In a firefight, are you even going to be thinking of where you put your mags? Unless you train hundreds of times, I doubt you'd be able to do so.

Just reload, whatever happens to the magazines... who the hell cares! Your life matters more than a partial or empty mag.
Link Posted: 8/18/2004 6:31:10 PM EDT
[#10]
The way I was trained at Po-Po academy is when you execute a combat reload, the spent mag drop *poof* it's gone.  It no longer exists.

In a tactical reload, we were taught the two mag in one hand procedure.  But which technique you used depended on the perceived threat.
Link Posted: 8/18/2004 6:35:22 PM EDT
[#11]
1. count your rounds
2. reload when you CAN, not when you have too!
Link Posted: 8/19/2004 7:03:09 AM EDT
[#12]
i can't believe 9 friggin people have managed to do this with bullets flying.

some cool mfers i guess...

glad it worked out for you warrior.  bigger ones than mine!
Link Posted: 8/19/2004 7:08:13 AM EDT
[#13]
I was wondering when in combat do you just chuck all your mags as you go ? do you eventually pick them up or do you get new ones?
Link Posted: 8/19/2004 9:09:06 AM EDT
[#14]
who wants a cargo pocket full of mags with 5 or 6 rds in them. the AR reloads fast if youre well practiced. it runs dry, reload, repeat.

i used to believe in the old axiom "reload when you can, not when you have to" i gave that up the first time someone was shooting at me.
Link Posted: 8/19/2004 9:22:32 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
Good idea for a LULL in the shooting.  Keep your empties and partial mags seperate if you can, consolidate partial mags when you get a chance.

Hear, hear!

FWIW, I've never been shot at by enemy forces, but we always trained for tactical reloads during lulls in a firefight. This helps to prevent a whole squad/whatever from running dry in a firefight. Also trained to do a tactical reload prior to sweeping across the objective.

Full mags go in the pouches pointing down, empties and partial pointing up. When possible consolidate empty mags into one location, consolidate ammo in partial mags.
Link Posted: 8/19/2004 9:26:03 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
So if you replace an empty mag, that's a non-tactical reload?

No, that's an EMERGENCY reload.
Link Posted: 8/19/2004 9:31:19 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
i can't believe 9 friggin people have managed to do this with bullets flying.

some cool mfers i guess...

glad it worked out for you warrior.  bigger ones than mine!

I doubt anyone did it out in the open, like Iraqi RPG guy, they probably grabbed some cover first as standing out in the open in the middle of a gun fight as, Iraqi RPG guy showed us all, is a quick way to find out if there really is an afterlife.

ETA: had to vote no, never had a gun when bullets was flying.....
Link Posted: 8/19/2004 9:33:21 AM EDT
[#18]
no
Link Posted: 8/19/2004 9:34:59 AM EDT
[#19]
Confucius say:

If bullets in air don't voluntarily unload gun.

If no bullets in air, then ok.  (But do it real quick and behind cover)

1. count your rounds
    Hah ! good one.
Link Posted: 8/19/2004 9:42:55 AM EDT
[#20]
I've done the same thing with video tapes when on surveillance and the suspect was expected to be active when I was near the end of a video tape. Does that count?
Link Posted: 8/19/2004 9:45:03 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

+1 but while playing Metal of Honor.LOL.

P.S.
Normally wouldn't you do a Tac Reload in between firefights?  When you get a lull, drop the half expended mag and replace it with a full one.  Also, I'd hang onto the half full one, like I said, you'd swap out mags in the lull of battle, not in the middle of a firefight. Never had to do if for real, just while playing online vid.games but it always seems to make sense to have your weapon fully loaded when you get the chance to reload.  You never know what's around the next corner.
Link Posted: 8/19/2004 9:49:15 AM EDT
[#22]
I've been trained to do this, and I do it frequently during brief pauses in sims fights. Most of the time, things unfold quickly enough that you never get a chance.
Link Posted: 8/19/2004 9:51:05 AM EDT
[#23]
I have trained at a few of different schools, all teach the same thing, tactical reloads are good.  Unfortunately, I am obstinate and beleive that in a firefight I will be shooting the gun dry, and even though it is a pre-ban (ha, gotta love it) magazine and woudl sell for $120.00 here, I am just going to drop it on the ground and slap a fresh, full one in.  When I am out of magazines the fight better be over, because, no matter what, I am outta ammo.

Count rounds?  I woudl probably have better luck counting the drop of piss that filled my underwear.
Link Posted: 8/19/2004 9:56:04 AM EDT
[#24]

I've got a good friend who is SF.  He explains what he does as a "combat reload".  You topoff when you need to, i.e. like before entering a uncleared room etc.  If he is in a fire fight, he said they run dry and then reload from cover.

Link Posted: 8/19/2004 10:15:36 AM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 8/19/2004 10:17:52 AM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:
1st gulf war (Marines)

Hey StriplingWarrior,

You ever fight under a captain by the name of Helaman?
Link Posted: 8/21/2004 3:24:12 PM EDT
[#27]
thanks for the input guys.  i guess a tac reload isn't as suicidal as i thought.
Link Posted: 8/21/2004 3:27:30 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:
Does it really matter? In a firefight, are you even going to be thinking of where you put your mags? Unless you train hundreds of times, I doubt you'd be able to do so.

Just reload, whatever happens to the magazines... who the hell cares! Your life matters more than a partial or empty mag.

You SHOULD care, because if the fight is protracted, that partial mag may save your bacon.Never throw away a mag that has live rounds in it.
Tactical reloads in a lull in the action would be a good idea, but its something you have to train at so it is done by rote.
Link Posted: 8/21/2004 3:37:01 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

Quoted:

P.S.
Normally wouldn't you do a Tac Reload in between firefights?  When you get a lull, drop the half expended mag and replace it with a full one.  Also, I'd hang onto the half full one, like I said, you'd swap out mags in the lull of battle, not in the middle of a firefight. Never had to do if for real, just while playing online vid.games but it always seems to make sense to have your weapon fully loaded when you get the chance to reload.  You never know what's around the next corner.

Just hit the "R" key! No problem when playing Call of Duty.  That's probably how those Iraqi insurgents learned to reload and if they catch one in the noggin..............just respawn!

Link Posted: 8/21/2004 3:43:03 PM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 8/22/2004 11:55:18 AM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

Quoted:
1st gulf war (Marines)

Hey StriplingWarrior,

You ever fight under a captain by the name of Helaman?

I only wish!

Try

Zion's camp
Link Posted: 8/22/2004 12:09:31 PM EDT
[#32]
I don't know about you guys but for me mags are not free!  I can't aford to just drop them.  With a little practice the mag dump works great.

HSG Gas Mask Carrier / Spent Mag pouch $80.00

Based off the HSG Drop Leg Holster and Leg Mounted EOD pouch diamond platform Saddle Mesh platform , the HSG Gas Mask Carrier also gives the comfort and stability of a stay put leg mounted carrier . While users have limited belt space , it also gives the ability to carry a knife sheath ( not included ) behind the main pouch like the HSG Leg Mounted EOD pouch . Made of 1000 Denier Cordura and sturdy Nylon Mesh for leg platform , sewn togehter with 138 nylon bonded thread.

The mask carrier is supported by an adjustable belt hanger and a single 2" leg strap w/ shock-cord retension for comfort . On the exterior rear position , a sufficient size pouch for the M291 Decontamination Kit, (Skin) , and on forward facing side , 3 rows of 1" Cordura nylon webbing for MOLLE/ALICE type pouches if operator choosed to use for additional gear . Internal pouch for extra lenses and well as for several elastic loops to secure Atropine injectors . There are 2 - 1/4" grommets for drainage . Closure flap/lid has single side release fastening as well as adjustable shock-cord assist ( via cord-locks ) to help secure gas mask from shifting within the pouch and slo to help keep debris from entering . Gas mask forms within around the curvature on the leg . Adjustable shock-cord within the flap/lid does not hinder the extraction of the mask , but also keeps out of way while mask is extracted or re-inserted . Opening of the Gas Mask pouch is larger at top than at base for better placement of the mask .

It has the option of using as a spent mag pouch . Channels have been pre-sewn at top of main pouch to accept a semi-rigid frame to keep top open . * Scuba webbing is sewn within top flap/lid with zippered opening/port for security for spent mags to be inserted as well as serving as a barrier of accidental puncture with knife while inserting back into sheath * . ( * not pictured on this model * , shall update soon as pictures come available )

Link Posted: 8/22/2004 12:10:07 PM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

P.S.

Just hit the "R" key! No problem when playing Call of Duty.  That's probably how those Iraqi insurgents learned to reload and if they catch one in the noggin..............just respawn!

Sounds about right, they tend to use the newb tube & jump about in the middle of the street voice spamming taunts.  Rcket fags get pwned in real life.

Re MOH, Call Of Duty...
My problem is I tend to do a tactical reload more often than I probably should.  Shoot a couple of short bursts, duck back behind cover to tac-reload & then get gibbed mid reload by the crack monkeys who just bum rush all over the map willy nilly with no regard for cover or tactics.
Link Posted: 8/22/2004 12:18:08 PM EDT
[#34]
I found out a long time ago that I can't go toe to toe with most of the guys on-line in MoH so 99% of the time I just pick the sniper rifle and get as many as I can at long range.  I don't know if it's my mouse or ping rate or what but when I get in a hose down with another player I always lose the battle, heck, maybe they're using auto aim or something. I was having a heck of a good time yesterday while in the Remagen map, I'd just sit up in a room and snipe em' when they'd come around the corner, LOL.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top