BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/18/2004 4:53:51 PM EDT
Do you think it will happen or not?
Link Posted: 8/18/2004 5:03:15 PM EDT
[#1]
No

Why would they risk having the election postponed ??

The Shrub is a cowboy , he will commit troops and resources to anywhere in the effort to
catch/kill them ........ and they know it .

Lurch on the other hand would pull the troops out of their backyard and try diplomatic
sanctions . Something that they want since it takes the heat off while they pretend to be
listening .

History has shown again and again that there are only two ways to deal with fanatics .
You either let them win , or wipe them out there is no middle ground .
Link Posted: 8/18/2004 5:05:10 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 8/18/2004 5:10:06 PM EDT
[#3]
They'll take a shot at Kerry (deliberately miss him) and the lone gunman, (who quickly surrenders) will claim that A.Q. wants Kerry dead because they fear him more than Bush.

Just my theory.
Link Posted: 8/18/2004 5:12:28 PM EDT
[#4]
I'd say no.  A successful attack might rally support for Dubya and ensure his re-election.  An unsuccessful attack would probably guarantee it.  Unless the leaders of Al Queda are idiots (I think they are fanatical but not stupid), they would prefer francophile Kerry to lead the war on terror.  Therefore, they wait.

Link Posted: 8/18/2004 5:13:03 PM EDT
[#5]
I think that attack on U.S right before the electron will only help W, so no. (considering that the terrorist scums want Kerry in the office for sure)
Link Posted: 8/18/2004 5:16:59 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 8/18/2004 5:17:01 PM EDT
[#7]
won't happen.
Link Posted: 8/18/2004 5:19:15 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Quoted:
I'd say no.  A successful attack might rally support for Dubya and ensure his re-election.  An unsuccessful attack would probably guarantee it.  Unless the leaders of Al Queda are idiots (I think they are fanatical but not stupid), they would prefer francophile Kerry to lead the war on terror.  Therefore, they wait.

I'm not sure they understand americans that well. I bet they think that they'll get a "surrender vote" like in Spain. Bizarrely there are still people that think our higher standard of living = weak

I admit, you could be right.  Kind of makes it a crap shoot.

Link Posted: 8/18/2004 5:26:55 PM EDT
[#9]
They might understand Americans better than we think and would attack during the Republican convention.  It would be impossible for GW to get up and give a speach on how we are winning the war on terror when another terror attack just happend on our soil.  It would completely undermine everything that he has done and make him look like a complete failure.
Link Posted: 8/18/2004 5:30:34 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I'm not sure they understand americans that well. I bet they think that they'll get a "surrender vote" like in Spain. Bizarrely there are still people that think our higher standard of living = weak

I agree with Aimless on this one. Wait, ok pulse is fine.

Many on the left truly believe that Al Queda would not have attacked us if Geroge W. Bush had not been elected President. Michael Moore basically said so on his website on 9/12/2001. The left has been craving appeasement ever since 9/11! Al Queda sees this, and they are most likely hoping that a well executed attack will swing the election to Kerry in hopes of getting a President that would push for appeasement. I only hope that Al Queda is wrong!

ETA:

I have become convinced that this election is the most important in our history!!! If John Kerry gets elected, I do not believe that he will be able to prosecute this war against militant Islam. His base has been crying out against this war ever since our counter attack on Afghanistan. George W Bush MUST win this election!
Link Posted: 8/18/2004 5:35:41 PM EDT
[#11]
I know it seems assbackwards, but historically both the PLO and AQ have preferred their enemies have a "hawk" in power. The reason being, a perceived threat vastly increases their ability to recruit members, particularly among the previously indifferent/undecided.
Link Posted: 8/18/2004 5:35:42 PM EDT
[#12]
Yeah, my guess is a truck bomb in late October. If McVeigh could put together a Ryder truck, anyone with a pulse should be able to. Late October to maximize soccer mom/appeasment crowd initial emotional reaction. At least that's what they think will happen; I'll bet the actual reaction will be quite different.
Link Posted: 8/18/2004 5:43:20 PM EDT
[#13]
Not if we start waking up and seeing that our own gov. is doing all this to secure more of a tyrranical hold on this nation and others...
Link Posted: 8/18/2004 5:45:16 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
Not if we start waking up and seeing that our own gov. is doing all this to secure more of a tyrranical hold on this nation and others...

tinfoilers!
Link Posted: 8/18/2004 5:46:56 PM EDT
[#15]
During.
AB
Link Posted: 8/18/2004 5:51:24 PM EDT
[#16]
I think it likely they will attack on large scale in Iraq pre-election.  Attacking in the US only increases support for Bush and they favor Kerry.  Attacks on US interests in Iraq detract from Bush.
Link Posted: 8/18/2004 5:59:03 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
During.
AB

I also think the perfect time to strike would be during election day itself. Imagine Twenty small bombs going off in small to medium sized city voting areas. First thing in the morning. You don't think that wouldn't keep people from voting? It would definitely affect the outcome of the elections.
Link Posted: 8/18/2004 6:01:27 PM EDT
[#18]
If they attack I feel Bush will have a better chance of getting reelected.
Link Posted: 8/18/2004 6:05:20 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
I know it seems assbackwards, but historically both the PLO and AQ have preferred their enemies have a "hawk" in power. ...

Never heard that about AQ.

The PLO is a different outfit with different goals.

AQ’s ultimate goal is to get the U.S. out of the Middle East.  A weak U.S. leader is more likely to give them that than a “hawk”.

That said, their short-term goal is simply to kill as many Americans as possible and to disrupt the U.S. economy.   I doubt they care about who is a Democrat or Republican.

As far as attacks go, the possibly of foreign attacks against U.S. interests or U.S. supporters is also extremely likely.
Link Posted: 8/18/2004 6:09:49 PM EDT
[#20]
I seriously doubt they'll pull anything off, but there's always that possibility.  They're loooooong overdue for a follow-up to 9/11.  I figure that's because:

1)  They're less competent or capable than we originally believed
 2)  They're less organized than we think
 3)  Our government is better at prevention than we realize (yeah right)
 4)  Our operations in Iraq & Afghanistan and other places are effective
 5)  I like pie (who doesn't?)

In any case, the absence of any major Al Queda operations against the U.S. in the last 3 years shows them to be an enemy that is tactically impotent.  Their former successes against us were due to our government's disregard for their potential at the time.
Link Posted: 8/18/2004 6:34:44 PM EDT
[#21]
Gee, which candidate do you think they are afraid of?
Link Posted: 8/18/2004 6:40:08 PM EDT
[#22]
I think they will try something, but no where near the effects of 9/11.
Link Posted: 8/18/2004 6:41:13 PM EDT
[#23]
After the election as a "fuck you" call.
Link Posted: 8/18/2004 6:43:30 PM EDT
[#24]
Nope, ain't gonna happen. Any more attacks on US soil will only rally the populace around Dub, and they know it.
Link Posted: 8/18/2004 6:43:54 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:
They might understand Americans better than we think and would attack during the Republican convention.  It would be impossible for GW to get up and give a speach on how we are winning the war on terror when another terror attack just happend on our soil.  It would completely undermine everything that he has done and make him look like a complete failure.

I don't recall HIM ever saying we are winning the war on terror.  He has said we are waging the war on terror.
Link Posted: 8/18/2004 6:54:10 PM EDT
[#26]
I'm thinking there are multiple attacks planned, most/all will be foiled.

It would not surprise me it it happened... and I am preparing as such.

- BUCC_Guy
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top