Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 3/29/2023 2:46:04 PM EDT
I've made a couple of threads lately about the challenges facing employers and mangers trying to run a business. This is my latest one.

A tiny backstory. The job I had up until a month ago use to have a long waiting list to get into. Maybe over two years. By the time I got in four years ago the wait was down to a few weeks. Now they will take anyone right away that has a pulse.

Since the illness of unknown origin came along I have noticed a huge decline in the quality of workers. It didn't effect me too much as I would do my work and frankly the other newer employees would make us "old timers" look like masters.

Now I took a job as a supervisor over the same crew and it is my problem. I'm not complaining. I'll have to step up and make do with what I have.

This isn't a generation whatever vs young people thread. My entire working life I've heard older people say "the kids today don't want to work".  This in my opinion is more than that. It's more like systematic apathy.  

You guys seeing the same thing?

Link Posted: 3/29/2023 2:48:46 PM EDT
[#1]
Absolutely.

However, I did just hire one younger guy who is 21 which I am very impressed with. Of course he is in the National Guard and about to pick up Spec-5 so I figured he was a better bet than most.
Link Posted: 3/29/2023 2:49:26 PM EDT
[#2]
I’ve experienced the other side of this.  It was hard finding a decent employer to work for.  They all advertise and ask for email application.  I never heard back from most I inquired about.  They all say they can’t find employees, but they are also paying Jack shit.  And don’t respond or even advertise they are hiring
Link Posted: 3/29/2023 2:56:08 PM EDT
[#3]
It is an absolute shit show out there now.
Link Posted: 3/29/2023 2:56:55 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I’ve experienced the other side of this.  It was hard finding a decent employer to work for.  They all advertise and ask for email application.  I never heard back from most I inquired about.  They all say they can’t find employees, but they are also paying Jack shit.  And don’t respond or even advertise they are hiring
View Quote

I hope that's not a trend as I like to keep my options open. I'm not about to bail yet, but anything can happen.
Link Posted: 3/29/2023 2:57:49 PM EDT
[#5]
I saw it at a company that didn't keep pay competitive. Where I'm at now isn't having the same problem.
Link Posted: 3/29/2023 2:58:24 PM EDT
[#6]
People have options and quality hires will walk if the bullshit gets deep.

FWIW, I just hired a John Hopkins grad and a seal team 2 vet. Both are top performers with less than 1 month on the job.
Link Posted: 3/29/2023 2:58:38 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
View Quote

I couldn't agree more. At least everyone in my crew knows what gender they are.
Link Posted: 3/29/2023 3:00:49 PM EDT
[#8]
My employer just fired a couple of identity thieves (remote software engineers). It took them about three months on the job to figure out they weren't who they said they were.
Link Posted: 3/29/2023 3:01:06 PM EDT
[#9]
100%. Despite the highly specialized stuff we do, the new hires suck.
Link Posted: 3/29/2023 3:01:37 PM EDT
[#10]
This is what happens when Gen X and boomers start retiring
Link Posted: 3/29/2023 3:02:00 PM EDT
[#11]
Holy shit yes.  They're awful, lazy, and just unmotivated.
Link Posted: 3/29/2023 3:02:59 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
I saw it at a company that didn't keep pay competitive. Where I'm at now isn't having the same problem.
View Quote

Well that's a problem too. We are union and they suck donkey dicks. I'm pretty sure that they believe we are too dumb to know what inflation means.

I do appreciate that they actually were able to lower our health care premiums though.
Link Posted: 3/29/2023 3:03:15 PM EDT
[#13]
Yes, but...

there are a lot of smart, hardworking younger people willing to
bust their asses, and they don’t get enough credit.

I've trained a few, and I hope their accomplishments will far exceed
mine in our trade.
Link Posted: 3/29/2023 3:06:06 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Yes, but...

there are a lot of smart, hardworking younger people willing to
bust their asses, and they don’t get enough credit.

I've trained a few, and I hope their accomplishments will far exceed
mine in our trade.
View Quote

Throughout my years I've had a few that surprised me also.
Link Posted: 3/29/2023 3:06:35 PM EDT
[#15]
Correct me if I'm wrong, but wouldn't this logically depend on experience requirements, educational requirements, competitiveness of industry, applicant pool for said industry, etc.?

Could a new hire in highly competitive field X at sought after company Y with rigorous education and/or training requirements (and let's throw in excess applicants/labor E) be compared with a new hire in a field that requires little to no education or formal training with the applicant pool basically being limited by location and better opportunities for potential applicants?
Link Posted: 3/29/2023 3:07:32 PM EDT
[#16]
It isn't worth it anymore for the dependable hard-working employees.  Why put in the effort when you aren't going to be rewarded for it?  Most of them are working for themselves now.
Link Posted: 3/29/2023 3:07:52 PM EDT
[#17]
Hired a technician two weeks ago.

He's been late 5 times.  Twice after reading him the riot act about being late.

Lied to me twice.  If he makes it through the rest of the week, I'll be surprised.  

My fault for not taking more time interviewing, but the candidate pool is absolute shit.
Link Posted: 3/29/2023 3:08:17 PM EDT
[#18]
Our new hires suck. It’s surreal. Basically anyone who stays most of the shift their first day and actually shows up the second day is retained.
Link Posted: 3/29/2023 3:08:20 PM EDT
[#19]
Who is John Galt?

But also nearly 100% of companies hiring processes are completely and totally broken.
Take a good, hard look at your pipelines, from listings all the way through to the last interview and offer.
If your candidates nearly all suck then your selection process needs attention.
Link Posted: 3/29/2023 3:10:30 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Correct me if I'm wrong, but wouldn't this logically depend on experience requirements, educational requirements, competitiveness of industry, applicant pool for said industry, etc.?

Could a new hire in highly competitive field X at sought after company Y with rigorous education and/or training requirements (and let's throw in excess applicants/labor E) be compared with a new hire in a field that requires little to no education or formal training with the applicant pool basically being limited by location and better opportunities for potential applicants?
View Quote

You tell me. Are highly trained professionals also coming in with shitty work ethics and bad attitudes? I'm sure it varies.
Link Posted: 3/29/2023 3:11:34 PM EDT
[#21]
Hate to start shit, but maybe change the hiring process. I am a model employee, but I'm sure hiring persons are looking at my resume, not seeing the right buzzwords, and throwing it in the bin.

Lol @ you all. Keep enabling the "fake it till you make it" people.
Link Posted: 3/29/2023 3:12:47 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

Well that's a problem too. We are union and they suck donkey dicks. I'm pretty sure that they believe we are too dumb to know what inflation means.

I do appreciate that they actually were able to lower our health care premiums though.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Companies that didn't keep up are just hiring a lower class of worker
Link Posted: 3/29/2023 3:15:22 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
It isn't worth it anymore for the dependable hard-working employees.  Why put in the effort when you aren't going to be rewarded for it?  Most of them are working for themselves now.
View Quote

This is another issue. My friend who is an experienced auto tech got a job at luxury dealer when he moved down to Texas. He got sick of their shit and walked out. They reached out and offered to bump him up to $40 and hour. Came back for a while, walked out again.

Now self employed, makes his own hours, and keeps all of the money. He has strongly encouraged me to remain self employed.
Link Posted: 3/29/2023 3:15:36 PM EDT
[#24]
Thanks for the replies. I'm off to bed. I'll check back Friday as I have a lot on my plate for the next couple of days.
Link Posted: 3/29/2023 3:16:45 PM EDT
[#25]
Overall, absolutely.

Not there aren’t still a few great people that get hired. Just more and more who aren’t cutting it
Link Posted: 3/29/2023 3:25:31 PM EDT
[#26]
Sure, labor force is stagnant - if not shrinking. Boomers are retiring and Gen Z is smaller.

Labor participation for those in prime working years 25-54, is within about a percent of it's all time high, and unemployment is very low - the good workers are already working.

This leaves a very shallow available talent pool. The only way you get a good worker is to lure them away from someone else. The only way you keep them long term is by being a more desirable employer than your competitors.
Link Posted: 3/29/2023 3:31:37 PM EDT
[#27]
In this department I'd say it's 50-50. For every TikTok addict who sleeps every shift, we also get a dependable guy with a work ethic. Pay has lagged badly here though; I'm working to be self-employed by the end of the year.
Link Posted: 3/29/2023 3:32:43 PM EDT
[#28]
Yes
Don’t want to work, stupid.

Link Posted: 3/29/2023 3:33:31 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Absolutely.

However, I did just hire one younger guy who is 21 which I am very impressed with. Of course he is in the National Guard and about to pick up Spec-5 so I figured he was a better bet than most.
View Quote

Spec 5?
Link Posted: 3/29/2023 3:34:29 PM EDT
[#30]
Had some real shit consultant hires during COVID and the company couldn’t let them go because we needed bodies

They were fired and now things are better
Link Posted: 3/29/2023 3:34:43 PM EDT
[#31]
It's been declining for the last 20 years.
Link Posted: 3/29/2023 3:38:57 PM EDT
[#32]
Not to put too fine a point on it but ...

Hello beuller.

We're having a massive outbreak of cultural MARXISM.

You know, that stuff that by design amplifies people's greed, laziness, and entitlement?

Not the only cause, but ... I mean, it should be obvious.

Marxism of any form + human nature = lazy ingrates (of all ages and generations).
Link Posted: 3/29/2023 3:41:49 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Thanks for the replies. I'm off to bed. I'll check back Friday as I have a lot on my plate for the next couple of days.
View Quote

So your employment is union, shift work, and compensation is lacking?

No wonder.
Link Posted: 3/29/2023 3:42:42 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

So your employment is union, shift work, and compensation is lacking?

No wonder.
View Quote

Link Posted: 3/29/2023 3:44:07 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Had some real shit consultant hires during COVID and the company couldn’t let them go because we needed bodies

They were fired and now things are better
View Quote

I had a boss that called that addition by subtraction
Link Posted: 3/29/2023 3:44:11 PM EDT
[#36]
It's called demoralization. Get used to it, things aren't even that bad yet right now.
Link Posted: 3/29/2023 3:44:14 PM EDT
[#37]
The covid years created unique circumstances that allowed motivated wagies to find better career paths. I'm starting to see hard working gen z kids fill in the shitty wagie jobs again, but older people that weren't lazy idiots used the last couple of years to get ahead.
Link Posted: 3/29/2023 3:54:07 PM EDT
[#38]
My business doesn't hire anyone, but my clients businesses do (my work is B2B.)

I've noticed two things:

1) An increase in highly unqualified new hires that literally haven't a single clue what they're doing in a highly technical field.
Staggering really, it appears they have the right "woke" checkmarks and nothing else. Scarily many of these are in supervisory
positions. I spoke with someone that left a firm that manufacturers integrated circuits -- he left when his supervisor
did not know what a chip was -- I was able to confirm this actually happened directly with another source.

2) Actual skilled, competent people job hopping due to well beyond (setting new highs) competitive offers by companies
that need someone that actually can do the work the new hires were supposed to do but can't. Most recent one I saw
left one client for another so I could see everything happening, he increased his salary by 70% and is now making
~40% more than his immediate supervisor did at his old job; this was nearly a six-figure increase in pay.
Link Posted: 3/29/2023 3:57:45 PM EDT
[#39]
??show for sure
Link Posted: 3/29/2023 4:01:25 PM EDT
[#40]
440 candidates for an office manager position with my company. 5 interviews. The girl we hired is stellar (4 weeks in). I focused more on picking the right person vs skill set/ experience.

Worth noting, we paid about $5/ hour more than the going rate, plus a $1000 signing bonus, along with full benefits. Don't be cheap.
Link Posted: 3/29/2023 4:06:08 PM EDT
[#41]
We used to have a surplus of qualified applicants.

These days lucky to hire someone that shows up and does their job.

On top of that they whine to HR about every minor grievance.
Link Posted: 3/29/2023 4:06:32 PM EDT
[#42]
Welcome to 1996.
Link Posted: 3/29/2023 4:10:20 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
Absolutely.

View Quote

Wish the Army would bring that rank back or tech sergeants
Link Posted: 3/29/2023 4:10:28 PM EDT
[#44]
Everywhere. places where you used to have to know somebody to get in, now as said before in this thread, they will take anyone. Once premium places still paying great wages are struggling to get people to show up.
And one place we do services for gave their people a surprise $200/week more as an incentive to show up everyday to work. It took people a month to realize they could go back to blowing off a day and still come out a few bucks ahead.
So THAT blew up in their faces.

I service a lot of companies and I'm hearing it from everyone. Some of these places I've been servicing for over a decade. I see the differences. And it doesn't matter how well you pay them. nothing is good enough.

I would be fully retired right now if I could turn my company over to my kid knowing that he would have good employees. I can't do that yet. We think we have good people in place, but I'm not so sure that even our key people won't bounce, just because it's the thing they see everyone else doing.
The best thing I see is half of those faded NOW HIRING banners starting to come down the last few months. The wage here in this county has come down about $2-3/hr as well. People here are starting to see that it doesn't pay to switch jobs every 3 months.
Link Posted: 3/29/2023 4:13:43 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
I've experienced the other side of this.  It was hard finding a decent employer to work for.  They all advertise and ask for email application.  I never heard back from most I inquired about.  
View Quote
That's been my problem, too. I'm retired and just looking for a little part-time work to alleviate the boredom. I do a bit of handyman variety stuff (word-of-mouth, I don't advertise) but it's infrequent. I'd like to find something "structured" to keep me occupied a couple days a week, but everything I've seen that looked like a good fit got ZERO response. You'd think if they were hiring they'd at least reply, whether "sorry, no thanks" or "we'd like to talk to you", but it seems that communication has become a thing of the past. I miss the days when you could walk in and at least get an interview with a real person.
Link Posted: 3/29/2023 4:17:27 PM EDT
[#46]
We found out how to keep people that are really good

You pay them a wage that they dont want to leave.

One guy we hired told me he has never made that much in hiis life and he is 45 years old

Link Posted: 3/29/2023 4:17:58 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
View Quote

Link Posted: 3/29/2023 4:22:56 PM EDT
[#48]
The people you're combining about have always existed, you just never had to work with them because they never stood a chance of getting hired, because there were enough BETTER workers to hire in front of them.

The BETTER workers all already got hired or promoted to fill vacancies left by retiring boomers and gen xers.

We're hiring people we never would have ever accepted applications from, 20 years ago. Because there is nobody else.
Link Posted: 3/29/2023 4:24:41 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
We're hiring people we never would have ever accepted applications from, 20 years ago. Because there is nobody else.
View Quote

Yes.  Most recent hire would have been a "pass", but took a chance because the other candidates were unqualified to work at McDonalds.
Link Posted: 3/29/2023 4:28:32 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
View Quote

this, lots of companies have horrendous application processes, plus bait and switch on hybrid/wfh hours, hard to get excited about a 9 to 5 white collar job in a cube paying less than burger flipping with a better schedule.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Top Top