BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 1/27/2023 7:49:33 PM EDT
Let’s do this!!

Link Posted: 1/27/2023 7:51:34 PM EDT
[#1]
They both started out good and ended up woke as shit.
Link Posted: 1/27/2023 7:53:02 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

Strange New Worlds and Lower Decks are not that bad, considering today's environment.

Link Posted: 1/27/2023 7:56:03 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

Strange New Worlds and Lower Decks are not that bad, considering today's environment.

View Quote

I'm guessing those ones don't feature Stacey "M1A2 Main Battle Tank" Abrams?  I'm afraid to even start watching any of the new stuff...
Link Posted: 1/27/2023 7:56:43 PM EDT
[#4]
the expanse ruined all other space battles forever.

Link Posted: 1/27/2023 8:13:59 PM EDT
[#5]
Star Wars. Although the starships may or may not be comparable to the star destroyers, the empire was able to build two expensive, though flawed, Death Stars. The Empire also used the Force (depending on midichlorian levels). Star Wars was more warlike (both the Empire and the Rebels). Large Star destroyers were always flanked by smaller vessels and usually possessed smaller, single/double manned fighters. In contrast, Star Trek vessels had several small, boxy shuttles.  Overall, I'd put my money on Star Wars.
Link Posted: 1/27/2023 8:17:11 PM EDT
[#6]
Whoever can beam an antimatter torpedo on the others bridge wins.
Link Posted: 1/27/2023 8:20:59 PM EDT
[#7]
Everything after DS9 is mostly shit.
Link Posted: 1/27/2023 8:27:23 PM EDT
[#8]
star trek federation is the liberal fantasy of how communism and global government would actually work.

star wars empire is how it would actually work.    corrupt, evil, most people are dirt poor scavenging tech from previous generations.

you can't really appreciate one without the other
Link Posted: 1/27/2023 8:32:35 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

https://filmschoolrejects.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/09/TE_loose_matl_ez1.gif
View Quote

This.
Link Posted: 1/27/2023 8:35:24 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

View Quote

Yes, yes it did.
Link Posted: 1/27/2023 8:38:53 PM EDT
[#11]
{Yoda voice on}
Full of shit you are
A homo the OP is
{Yoda voice off}

I kid OP, they’re both great in their own ways.
I’ve just watched a bunch more of the Star Wars stuff so I’m biased.
I haven’t followed Star Trek in ages, TNG was the last show I regularly watched.
Link Posted: 1/27/2023 8:39:52 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 1/27/2023 8:41:31 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
View Quote

Nah. Voyager and Enterprise are actually quite good. I thought Enterprise was shit 20 years ago but it REALLY grows on you. The absolute awfulness of modern trek really makes these older shows far more palpable.

DS9 was amazing though.
Link Posted: 1/27/2023 8:48:35 PM EDT
[#14]
Trek (The Federation) is an exploratory mission. Wars (The Empire) is a conquering mission.

Wars > Trek
Link Posted: 1/27/2023 8:50:29 PM EDT
[#15]
I'll take SW over ST. Space communists didn't do it for me unless we're talking DS9.
Link Posted: 1/27/2023 8:54:23 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Nah. Voyager and Enterprise are actually quite good. I thought Enterprise was shit 20 years ago but it REALLY grows on you. The absolute awfulness of modern trek really makes these older shows far more palpable.

DS9 was amazing though.
View Quote

The last season of enterprise was ok
Link Posted: 1/27/2023 8:55:01 PM EDT
[#17]
Trek had transporters, wars did not. just transporter onto wars ships, set charges, beamed out, blown up...wars had no way to stop them.

Series vs series, I thought universe vs universe, against each other. My bad, Dain Bramage.
Link Posted: 1/27/2023 8:55:06 PM EDT
[#18]
Lol
Link Posted: 1/27/2023 8:57:13 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Trek had transporters, wars did not. just transporter onto wars ships, set charges, beamed out, blown up...wars had no way to stop them.
View Quote

They actually did that on Stargate SG1

"Wait... we have transporters, rights?  Lets just beam hydrogen bombs onto the enemy ship."
Link Posted: 1/27/2023 8:59:05 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

DS9 was amazing though.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

DS9 was amazing though.

I agree with this despite what most seem to say.
Especially Enterprise.
Link Posted: 1/27/2023 9:15:48 PM EDT
[#21]
Star Wars Vs Star Trek: The Empire INVADES the FEDERATION!! Part 1 of 2

Star Wars vs Star Trek: The Empire at War with The Federation!! Part 2 of 2
Link Posted: 1/27/2023 9:24:37 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

View Quote

The Expanse originally started as a tabletop role playing game, then the guys working on it decided to turn it into a series of novels instead.

It’s certainly to the harder side of science fiction than much of what is available. There are a few niggly bits like how The Epstein Drive kinda violates the laws of physics and the Protomolecule outright violates the laws of physics. But I think they did a good job with it. That said, I think that once we start hauling hundreds of tons of cargo to low Earth orbit on the relatively cheap, the story that will play out then will be something far grander than any currently existing science fiction universe. Excepting perhaps Warhammer 40,000.

As for the BSG reboot. It had decent space battles, but they never went on long enough for my taste. What made it awful it for me was the characters. With the exceptions of Admiral Adama, Sam Anders and sometimes Athena. Everyone on that show didn’t really seem like a sentient entity. They seemed like a badly malfunctioning killbot in a human costume. Whatever ending it had was probably destined to be a pile of utter nonsense.

Concerning Trek and Wars. I’m done with both of those fictional universes. Kennedy, Johnson and Abrams methodically destroyed Star Wars and Star Trek was spluttering for years. STD was the final nail in the coffin.
Link Posted: 1/27/2023 9:29:39 PM EDT
[#23]
I like both but Warhammer 40,000 = best sci-fi
Link Posted: 1/27/2023 9:37:00 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

View Quote

laughs in BSG.
Link Posted: 1/27/2023 9:38:47 PM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 1/27/2023 9:41:51 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
I like both but Warhammer 40,000 = best sci-fi
View Quote

It’s a very interesting universe.

Unfortunate that Games Workshop has to make a point of suing the pants off of anyone who does anything with that IP without their expressed written permission.
Link Posted: 1/27/2023 9:45:07 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

DS9 was amazing though.
View Quote

Loved Enterprise. Linda Park did it for me. Grace Park on BSG worked too. I ended up married to a Sharon clone.
Link Posted: 1/27/2023 9:45:58 PM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 1/27/2023 9:46:38 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

Loved Enterprise. Linda Park did it for me. Grace Park on BSG worked too. I ended up married to a Sharon clone.
View Quote

I am a weak man and Jolene Blalock's rack did it for me.

BSG was good stuff in that time too. Hard to really complain too much with respect to SCIFI in the 90s and early 2000s. I even liked Space Above and Beyond.
Link Posted: 1/27/2023 9:48:22 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
View Quote

Andor
Link Posted: 1/27/2023 9:53:18 PM EDT
[#31]
Reavers, they made them.
Link Posted: 1/27/2023 9:56:37 PM EDT
[#32]
Link Posted: 1/27/2023 9:56:57 PM EDT
[#33]
a challenger appears!
"Star Wars" directed by Stanley Kubrick?

Link Posted: 1/27/2023 9:59:14 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

Series vs series, I thought universe vs universe, against each other. My bad, Dain Bramage.
View Quote

Except for the fact that unless plot armor requires it, transporters do not work through shields (SFB G8.21) which Star Wars ships have.
Link Posted: 1/27/2023 10:01:45 PM EDT
[#35]
Link Posted: 1/27/2023 10:02:40 PM EDT
[#36]
Link Posted: 1/27/2023 10:02:48 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

Especially Enterprise.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

DS9 was amazing though.

Especially Enterprise.

Enterprise should have been better, except for the felt compelled to go to time travel right away as their story arc.

Voyager should have been better, expect they forgot that they forgot they were on the other side of the galaxy and managed to do things like definitely lose 10 of their 2 shuttlecraft and expend at least 93 of their 40 photon torpedoes.
Link Posted: 1/27/2023 10:07:09 PM EDT
[#38]
Star Wars > Star Trek, but I enjoy both.  Not the new woke shit, but good stuff.
Link Posted: 1/27/2023 10:08:31 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Star Wars > Star Trek, but I enjoy both.  Not the new woke shit, but good stuff.
View Quote

This man is correct.
Link Posted: 1/27/2023 10:09:36 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

Enterprise should have been better, except for the felt compelled to go to time travel right away as their story arc.

Voyager should have been better, expect they forgot that they forgot they were on the other side of the galaxy and managed to do things like definitely lose 10 of their 2 shuttlecraft and expend at least 93 of their 40 photon torpedoes.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

DS9 was amazing though.

Especially Enterprise.

Enterprise was OK.  I could not get into Voyager, I couldn't get past the first season.
Link Posted: 1/27/2023 10:13:03 PM EDT
[#41]
Gate > Trek > Wars
Link Posted: 1/27/2023 10:14:24 PM EDT
[#42]
Link Posted: 1/27/2023 10:14:40 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
a challenger appears!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UOuKtJ2A0DA
View Quote

That was fucking amazing!
Link Posted: 1/27/2023 10:16:25 PM EDT
[#44]
I like them all.

As for the BSG vs. Expanse realism debate. BSG gets the win for coolest battles, while Expanse gets the win for the most fascinating battles.
Link Posted: 1/27/2023 10:17:46 PM EDT
[#45]
Star Wars is a rip-off of Dune
Link Posted: 1/27/2023 10:19:30 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
Star Wars is a rip-off of Dune
View Quote

But better.
Link Posted: 1/27/2023 10:26:59 PM EDT
[#47]
This is not a tough one if you think about.  Let’s start by stack ranking the movies. It is widely thought that TRoK is the best Trek movie, and TESB is the best Wars movie. It’s tough to call a winner here, but I would give a slight edge to TRoK. The next tier of movies would be Undiscovered Country and maybe First Contact vs A New Hope and Return of the Jedi. I think overall the edge goes to Wars here. Then the next tier of movies would be Trek III, IV, I, reboots vs absolute trash from Wars, the one exception being Rogue One. Sure there is trash from Trek, but even V had some memorable moments (what does God need with a star ship, Uhura’s dance) vs fucking Jar Jar Binks.  Hell, the 45 minutes of showing the Enterprise in I is better than the most recent Wars movies. Trek pulls away here.

For TV, trek clobbers wars. DS9, Original Series vs Clone Wars. Next tier would be Next Generation vs what, Mando?  That got ruined by wokeness when it could have been great.

Overall, Trek wins out. Wars are 2 great movies, one good one (RotJ, which I think is overrated and is hurt by Ewoks), and one good TV series vs 2 great movies, a handful of good ones, and several TV series that are really good.
Link Posted: 1/27/2023 10:35:05 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
This is not a tough one if you think about.  Let’s start by stack ranking the movies. It is widely thought that TRoK is the best Trek movie, and TESB is the best Wars movie. It’s tough to call a winner here, but I would give a slight edge to TRoK. The next tier of movies would be Undiscovered Country and maybe First Contact vs A New Hope and Return of the Jedi. I think overall the edge goes to Wars here. Then the next tier of movies would be Trek III, IV, I, reboots vs absolute trash from Wars. Sure there is trash from Trek, but even V had some memorable moments (what does God need with a star ship, Uhura’s dance) vs fucking Jar Jar Binks.  Trek pulls away here.

For TV, trek clobbers wars. DS9, Original Series vs Clone Wars. Next tier would be Next Generation vs what, Mando?  That got ruined by wokeness when it could have been great.

Overall, Trek wins out. Wars are 2 great movies, one good one (RotJ, which I think is overrated and is hurt by Ewoks), and one good TV series vs 2 great movies, a handful of good ones, and several TV series that are really good.
View Quote

ROTS is way better than Search for Spock and time traveling whales.
Link Posted: 1/27/2023 10:37:40 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
This is not a tough one if you think about.  Let’s start by stack ranking the movies. It is widely thought that TRoK is the best Trek movie, and TESB is the best Wars movie. It’s tough to call a winner here, but I would give a slight edge to TRoK. The next tier of movies would be Undiscovered Country and maybe First Contact vs A New Hope and Return of the Jedi. I think overall the edge goes to Wars here. Then the next tier of movies would be Trek III, IV, I, reboots vs absolute trash from Wars. Sure there is trash from Trek, but even V had some memorable moments (what does God need with a star ship, Uhura’s dance) vs fucking Jar Jar Binks.  Trek pulls away here.

First, I did edit my post to include Rogue One. Second, no way.  SFS is heads and shoulders better in acting, plot, everything. ROTS is a fucking turd of a movie. Watch RedLetterMedia for an in depth analysis on why.
Link Posted: 1/27/2023 10:38:14 PM EDT
[#50]
I’ve always wanted a real lightsaber, I’ve never wanted a tv remote that shoots lasers.

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top