Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/25/2023 1:56:57 AM EDT
Video is from September but I didn't see any threads.

Pretty amazing to see a carbureted small block do that so smoothly.

I'd roll Hydrogen before I bought an EV.

Hydrogen powered V8 ICE High RPM Test
Link Posted: 1/25/2023 2:04:46 AM EDT
[#1]
Of course it can run on hydrogen. Regulating your engine RPM with a valve on a cylinder is a bit problematic though.
Link Posted: 1/25/2023 2:11:14 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Of course it can run on hydrogen. Regulating your engine RPM with a valve on a cylinder is a bit problematic though.
View Quote

I think he's doing that just to show that it is actually hydrogen going in.
Link Posted: 1/25/2023 2:11:29 AM EDT
[#3]
Is the 3800rpm impressive?
Link Posted: 1/25/2023 2:19:34 AM EDT
[#4]
I'm guessing that isn't 3800 rpm under load?
Link Posted: 1/25/2023 2:22:27 AM EDT
[#5]
350 small block usually revs higher than that right? Seems pretty low for anything besides a diesel right?
Link Posted: 1/25/2023 2:22:35 AM EDT
[#6]
Seeing that gasoline is hydrocarbon based it should not be surprising that an engine will run on hydrogen.
Link Posted: 1/25/2023 2:22:49 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
View Quote

Maybe. But it has at least a 6000 RPM potential. So he has some room to grow.
Link Posted: 1/25/2023 2:29:09 AM EDT
[#8]
Better than a EV and the only biproduct is water.
Link Posted: 1/25/2023 2:40:36 AM EDT
[#9]
Neat, but he ain’t as cool as this guy…

Hilarious first time engine start
Link Posted: 1/25/2023 2:42:47 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
View Quote
I guess if you are using a SBC
Link Posted: 1/25/2023 2:43:16 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Maybe. But it has at least a 6000 RPM potential. So he has some room to grow.
View Quote
I'd predict con rod failure and low power if he actually ran it under load. My guess is the flame speed and combustion pressures of hydrogen will be extremely violent compared with gasoline.
Link Posted: 1/25/2023 2:45:30 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
View Quote

That is for a hydrogen fuel cell.

Not the case when you combust hydrogen.
Link Posted: 1/25/2023 2:50:23 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Ya, you arent going to be seeing V8's running on hydrogen as an actual option ever.
Link Posted: 1/25/2023 3:49:14 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
I'd predict con rod failure and low power if he actually ran it under load. My guess is the flame speed and combustion pressures of hydrogen will be extremely violent compared with gasoline.
View Quote
Spray Methanol when loaded heavy ?
Dual fuel engine:  Idle/ cruise on hydrogen,  50/50 water+Methanol injection during acceleration, hillclimb.
Gasoline is  a denser fuel.
Gasoline is also cheaper.
Link Posted: 1/25/2023 4:09:53 AM EDT
[#15]
So wasteful, impractical and useless. It would make more sense to run the engine on farts.
Link Posted: 1/25/2023 5:52:30 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Ya, you arent going to be seeing V8's running on hydrogen as an actual option ever.
View Quote

Well not exactly a V8 but . . .
CUMMINS INC. DEBUTS 15-LITER HYDROGEN ENGINE AT ACT EXPO
Link Posted: 1/25/2023 7:41:18 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

View Quote

I read that burning H2 and air produces six times the NOx as burning methane.
Link Posted: 1/25/2023 7:52:14 AM EDT
[#18]
Is that Liam Neeson's dad?
Link Posted: 1/25/2023 8:01:34 AM EDT
[#19]
My grandpa converted his '72 International Harvester pickup to switchable between propane or gasoline in the early '90's.
So calling that video epic seems a bit...optimistic.
Link Posted: 1/25/2023 9:33:47 AM EDT
[#20]
It lacks the lubricity that gas has
Link Posted: 1/25/2023 9:44:48 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
View Quote

actually it emits a lot of NoX which is a green house gas
Link Posted: 1/25/2023 9:50:53 AM EDT
[#22]
yeah i converted my lawn mower to run on 1# propane bottles.  
Throttle was annoying cause was was just using a torch valve.
Was ghetto as hell but it worked.
Tank liked to freeze up as well.
Link Posted: 1/25/2023 10:04:48 AM EDT
[#23]
Best way to make hydrogen is a high temperature nuke plant.
Link Posted: 1/25/2023 10:11:23 AM EDT
[#24]
Yeah, but can he make his own hydrogen at home when "they" shut off the EVs?  
Link Posted: 1/25/2023 10:14:59 AM EDT
[#25]
My SBC's used to redline around 7000 rpm's
Link Posted: 1/25/2023 10:16:58 AM EDT
[#26]
toyota or honda is experimenting with using hydrogen as an alternative to gas. issue is storage of hydrogen in a vehicle. personally i think hydrogen fuel cell tech will surpass batteries but there are a lot of issues to be resolved. there are fuel cell cars on the road in a few places. i think they are leased. you cant buy them and obviously there must be hydrogen fueling stations available.
Link Posted: 1/25/2023 10:19:16 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
It lacks the lubricity that gas has
View Quote

Yeah, i read that this is one of the primary limiting factors.
Link Posted: 1/25/2023 10:23:51 AM EDT
[#28]
Hydrogen is a terrible fuel for automotive purposes, in fact for just about any purpose beyond launching rockets into orbit, and even there it's being phased out.

Google "hydrogen embrittlement".

It has a nasty habit of destroying anything it is stored in. Combined with its extreme flammability/explosiveness, the difficulty in making, transporting and storage, it's just not a good idea much less economical.
Link Posted: 1/25/2023 10:29:36 AM EDT
[#29]
I think the guy is on to something but I would feel a whole lot better if the engine ran on gasoline with the hydrogen cut in to reduce emissions but gasoline was it's primary source of fuel.  Like a hybrid electric/gasoline car.  I will never own an EV at my age.  One more pickup and I will probably be set for life.  

kwg
Link Posted: 1/25/2023 10:31:27 AM EDT
[#30]
Propane is really the way. Shouldn't be too hard to engineer tanks to withstand all but the most severe crashes.  If we still had cars built like they were in 60/70's this wouldn't have been an issue. It's almost as if cars were lightened/downsized to make propane unfeasible...hmm. its exceptionally clean burning.
Link Posted: 1/25/2023 10:35:54 AM EDT
[#31]
Hydrogen is a shit fuel for cars.
Link Posted: 1/25/2023 10:37:06 AM EDT
[#32]
I have been following hydrogen as an energy source for around 3 decades.

There are a lot of problems with it, to use it as a fuel in an ICE engine. There seem to be a lot of other problems with it as well. I have seen no major updates to anything in hydrogen that could make it jump to a commercial product.

Propane works though and we have a lot of it.
Link Posted: 1/25/2023 10:46:24 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Propane is really the way. Shouldn't be too hard to engineer tanks to withstand all but the most severe crashes.  If we still had cars built like they were in 60/70's this wouldn't have been an issue. It's almost as if cars were lightened/downsized to make propane unfeasible...hmm. its exceptionally clean burning.
View Quote

For several years Honda produced a Civic that ran on compressed natural gas.    Other than trash trucks the idea never really took off.
Link Posted: 1/25/2023 10:48:49 AM EDT
[#34]
3800 rpm on a stock SBC is going to be well into the torque curve or power range.  For anyone unfamiliar with them about 4,500 rpm was max performance on paper and most started losing power after about 5,500 rpm.  3,800 rpm is unimpressive to anyone in the racing or performance industry by far.  However for the average person that would work in their city commuting easily.
Link Posted: 1/25/2023 10:49:08 AM EDT
[#35]
I prefer diesel/electric hybrid, but Cummins is betting big on hydrogen engines

https://www.cummins.com/engines/hydrogen
Link Posted: 1/25/2023 10:51:10 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Neat, but he ain't as cool as this guy

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_5AwnV3UWUc
View Quote
Every time I see that video, I know I'll never be as cool as that dude.
Link Posted: 1/25/2023 10:53:44 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

For several years Honda produced a Civic that ran on compressed natural gas.    Other than trash trucks the idea never really took off.
View Quote

I wanted one of those as the specs were pretty impressive really (especially for the time) but there were ZERO stations around here I could fill at. The only one is government fleet only. Not sure if that has changed in the last decade. I kind of doubt it seeing as how that was pretty much the only offering in market and was discontinued.
Link Posted: 1/25/2023 10:57:33 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

I wanted one of those as the specs were pretty impressive really (especially for the time) but there were ZERO stations around here I could fill at. The only one is government fleet only. Not sure if that has changed in the last decade. I kind of doubt it seeing as how that was pretty much the only offering in market and was discontinued.
View Quote

I had to do a bunch of training on it for my Honda master tech cert and I never once saw one in my entire career.
Link Posted: 1/25/2023 10:59:18 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
View Quote

I had a 1981 ford F100 with 2 factory gas tanks. Added a  100 gallon propane tank in the bed. I liked running propane. Very clean burning.
Link Posted: 1/25/2023 11:02:40 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

There was a home refill station as well, basically a high pressure compressor that filled from your homes gas line.   The convenience of refilling at home like an EV, but fast refills on the road, if you could find a station that sells CNG.

Most hydrogen is made from natural gas, so kind of a pointless fuel to push versus CNG
Link Posted: 1/25/2023 11:07:47 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

There are a bunch of CNG trucks around here. UPS and Waste Management use them. I wish there was an easy way to have a home compressor so I could just top off at home like an electric car.
Link Posted: 1/25/2023 1:51:54 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
Hydrogen is a terrible fuel for automotive purposes, in fact for just about any purpose beyond launching rockets into orbit, and even there it's being phased out.

Google "hydrogen embrittlement".

It has a nasty habit of destroying anything it is stored in. Combined with its extreme flammability/explosiveness, the difficulty in making, transporting and storage, it's just not a good idea much less economical.
View Quote

Seems to work pretty well for these guys.
???????!! ???????????Hot-Version?2022
Link Posted: 1/25/2023 2:37:57 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

Seems to work pretty well for these guys.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oZwmAKZsqYo
View Quote

Horrible idea. Those are intelligent rule followers in a tightly controlled environment. Americans are too stupid and lazy to do something like that. That’s not the same as internal combustion either. It’s a chemical process to make electricity to power motors.

The reason it’s so bad is because we don’t have the ability to store hydrogen beyond a short time. All tanks are porous and the tiny molecules leak out. In the wrong scenario they build up in sufficient concentrations to burn.

Watch all the stupid Americans creating a traffic jam at a burning gasoline station.

Compressed Hydrogen Fires : The Canyon Incident
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top