Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 7
Posted: 12/13/2022 5:25:53 PM EDT
Wife’s Lexus with factory mark levinson stereo upgrade (which is absolutely incredible btw, fantastic tone and imaging) CD player isn’t reading CDs. So ask dealership to take a look on scheduled maintenance.

The dealership and techs/service manager raised eyebrows like we were fucking aliens. “Sir you can stream music, why would you use a CD?”  

Because it sounds way way fucking better, that’s why!  Why do you think we paid so much for for this stereo option?  My more polite response gave more puzzled looks.   It boggles their mind that somebody was using the CD player.

They probably had to call corporate “we got somebody that listens to CDs and we have no idea what to do”

Update
CD player replaced via warranty. It sounds fucking amazing. Like real. Actual music and instruments.
Link Posted: 12/13/2022 5:27:48 PM EDT
[#1]
Did your last car have an 8-track?
Link Posted: 12/13/2022 5:28:02 PM EDT
[#2]
That’s very rude of them, boomers should get the same customer service as normal people
Link Posted: 12/13/2022 5:28:27 PM EDT
[#3]
What year is the Lexus?
Link Posted: 12/13/2022 5:28:32 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 12/13/2022 5:28:42 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Because it sounds way way fucking better, that’s why!
View Quote
CDs sound like shit. I have a turntable on my passenger seat.
Link Posted: 12/13/2022 5:28:48 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
That’s very rude of them, boomers should get the same customer service as normal people
View Quote

This, report them for ageism.
Link Posted: 12/13/2022 5:29:11 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
What year is the Lexus?
View Quote

2019 RX450h
Link Posted: 12/13/2022 5:29:13 PM EDT
[#8]
Does a CD produce better music than digital audio file?

EDIT:
Quick google, says that OP is right. Streaming music is compressed and lower quality than CD.  My shitty ears certainly cant tell the difference.  Either way, the sound system in my truck sounds great to me.
Link Posted: 12/13/2022 5:29:20 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
View Quote

Mine has a cassette player ??
Link Posted: 12/13/2022 5:29:25 PM EDT
[#10]
Lol
Link Posted: 12/13/2022 5:29:31 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
What year is the Lexus?
View Quote

My 2019 Ram has a cd player. I hoped it would play DVDs but it doesn't.
Link Posted: 12/13/2022 5:29:48 PM EDT
[#12]
im the same way, ive always had CD players.  I had one of the last Audis that had a 6 pack changer in the trunk!!
Link Posted: 12/13/2022 5:29:48 PM EDT
[#13]
lol
Link Posted: 12/13/2022 5:30:02 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Why would you use a CD?

View Quote

Because they sound way way way better than digitally and amplitude compressed shit.
Link Posted: 12/13/2022 5:30:02 PM EDT
[#15]
lol this post represents arfcom gd perfectly.
Link Posted: 12/13/2022 5:30:37 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Mine has a cassette player
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I have a jazz trio in the back seat.
Link Posted: 12/13/2022 5:31:11 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 12/13/2022 5:31:17 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
View Quote

vinyl is best
Link Posted: 12/13/2022 5:31:21 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
View Quote

My first two cars did!  
Link Posted: 12/13/2022 5:32:35 PM EDT
[#20]
What’s a CD? Isn’t that something like a bond? How did it even get in your car?
Link Posted: 12/13/2022 5:33:00 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I guess you don’t like music then, I hired Luciano Pavarotti as my driver
Link Posted: 12/13/2022 5:33:03 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
View Quote

This made me LOL super hard!  And I’m a boomer.
Link Posted: 12/13/2022 5:33:55 PM EDT
[#23]
Ha

My dad has a 2000 Explorer as a spare vehicle. Display LED stopped working. I bought all the stuff to install a bluetooth receiver for him.

When he learned that he wouldn't be able to play his TAPES any longer, he said no thanks, can you please find a way to fix the screen so I can keep the stock stereo?

Playing tapes was more important than being able to connect his phone and do hands free calling, etc.
Link Posted: 12/13/2022 5:34:12 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Spotify and CD's both sample at 44.1 KHZ. How can your CD sound better?
View Quote

Because they are older recordings before the were dynamically compressed to shit.
Link Posted: 12/13/2022 5:34:50 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

My first two cars did!  
View Quote

My first three or maybe four had manual tune radios with no removable media player at all.
Link Posted: 12/13/2022 5:34:57 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
2019 RX450h
View Quote
How do you like it?  
@spidey07
Link Posted: 12/13/2022 5:36:08 PM EDT
[#27]
Can you even buy a CD anymore? Can’t remember the last time I saw any in a store. Few months ago I dug out some of my friends old band I burnt a long time ago. Kids were fascinated by the shiny object. Still haven’t found a place to play them.
Link Posted: 12/13/2022 5:36:20 PM EDT
[#28]
Some audiophiles y'all are.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 12/13/2022 5:38:21 PM EDT
[#29]
Download high quality audio files to your phone and use that for playback. Cheaper and easier than CDs.

Don't fault OP for wanting the things in his vehicle to properly work though.
Link Posted: 12/13/2022 5:38:43 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Wife’s Lexus with factory mark levinson stereo upgrade (which is absolutely incredible btw, fantastic tone and imaging) CD player isn’t reading CDs. So ask dealership to take a look on scheduled maintenance.

The dealership and techs/service manager raised eyebrows like we were fucking aliens. “Sir you can stream music, why would you use a CD?”  

Because it sounds way way fucking better, that’s why!  Why do you think we paid so much for for this stereo option?  My more polite response gave more puzzled looks.   It boggles their mind that somebody was using the CD player.

They probably had to call corporate “we got somebody that listens to CDs and we have no idea what to do”
View Quote

Most professional audiophiles cannot tell the difference between a CD and a 320kbps mp3. Even less will tell the difference between FLAC and a CD.

That said, CD player is broken, they should fix it.
Link Posted: 12/13/2022 5:39:56 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Spotify and CD's both sample at 44.1 KHZ. How can your CD sound better?
View Quote

Doest thou even compress music, Bro?
Link Posted: 12/13/2022 5:40:40 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

Because they are older recordings before the were dynamically compressed to shit.
View Quote

Rip your CD collection to FLAC
Link Posted: 12/13/2022 5:41:28 PM EDT
[#33]
I’m honestly surprised a vehicle that new even came with a cd player.
Link Posted: 12/13/2022 5:42:28 PM EDT
[#34]
Pretty sure you'd got that look at the height of CD usage.
Even today very few auto techs know anything about complex electronics.
Link Posted: 12/13/2022 5:43:22 PM EDT
[#35]
My 2007 Tahoe has a 8 CD player than if you leave CD’s in it, it starts changing CDs in the middle of the night until the battery goes dead. Not playing anything just changing. Can’t be fixed. So no CDs for me.
Link Posted: 12/13/2022 5:43:27 PM EDT
[#36]
I used to have a CB radio and an 8 track
Link Posted: 12/13/2022 5:43:37 PM EDT
[#37]
How did she break the CD player?  What did she shove in there?  Was it mail?  I bet it was mail.
Link Posted: 12/13/2022 5:44:21 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
How do you like it?  
@spidey07
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
2019 RX450h
How do you like it?  
@spidey07

Incredible luxury for the price. I’d compare it to bmw/mb in terms of luxury, better actually. For way way less money.

The hybrid drive train is very nice. Torquey.
Link Posted: 12/13/2022 5:44:37 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
View Quote

CD = Gen X.
Link Posted: 12/13/2022 5:44:55 PM EDT
[#40]
My 22 GTi doesn't have a cd player.

I know the sound quality is better, but I'd never be able to hear the difference driving on the surface of the moon (which would be an improvement over South Carolina roads)
Link Posted: 12/13/2022 5:45:48 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

Most professional audiophiles cannot tell the difference between a CD and a 320kbps mp3. Even less will tell the difference between FLAC and a CD.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

This is pretty much the correct answer.

CDs aren't magic. They are just another physical storage medium for digital information, and they often are subject to the same compression and sampling shenanigans as other digital mediums.

There's also the issue of cars being noisy and acoustically terrible environments.

Something USB or Apple Car Play/Android Auto based would likely match the quality of CDs with far greater convenience. I don't think I've had the phone book size CD binder in a vehicle since 2009, and I don't miss that even a little bit.

OP deserves to have his vehicle made whole, but let's be realistic about what's being accomplished here.
Link Posted: 12/13/2022 5:46:11 PM EDT
[#42]
Bro, do you even SACD?
Link Posted: 12/13/2022 5:48:56 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
View Quote
My car has a record player.

You gots a problem wit dat?

Link Posted: 12/13/2022 5:49:01 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
Ha

My dad has a 2000 Explorer as a spare vehicle. Display LED stopped working. I bought all the stuff to install a bluetooth receiver for him.

When he learned that he wouldn't be able to play his TAPES any longer, he said no thanks, can you please find a way to fix the screen so I can keep the stock stereo?

Playing tapes was more important than being able to connect his phone and do hands free calling, etc.
View Quote

@mancat

+

Or

Link Posted: 12/13/2022 5:50:40 PM EDT
[#45]
You probably just need to rewind all those CDs, get one of these:

Seriously though, have you tried one of the head cleaner discs?  If it's the controller arm that is the problem you may be screwed and have to get a junked one and get it put in. Check youtube for anybody with the same problem swapping out the player.
Link Posted: 12/13/2022 5:51:53 PM EDT
[#46]
I will have to try it out.  Her car and she listens to XM Jimmy Buffett.
Link Posted: 12/13/2022 5:53:32 PM EDT
[#47]
I still plug my Ipod in with an auxiliary cable to play it in my truck. I keep CD's for when I forget my Ipod, or the battery is dead. There's also times I'll have a new CD I haven't gotten around to putting on my Ipod yet.

It's one of the old Ipods before they went touch screen. If there was a way to get my music files off of it, and put them on a different device, I would, but the damn thing has been going strong for over 15 years.
Link Posted: 12/13/2022 5:54:18 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

EDIT:
Quick google, says that OP is right. Streaming music is compressed and lower quality than CD.  My shitty ears certainly cant tell the difference.  Either way, the sound system in my truck sounds great to me.
View Quote
True. Streaming audio is overcompressed MP3 files. CD audio is uncompressed .WAV files, which are pretty muck lossless. CD's will always sound better to the discrete ear...but not as much as good ol' analog!
Link Posted: 12/13/2022 5:54:22 PM EDT
[#49]
Link Posted: 12/13/2022 5:54:55 PM EDT
[#50]
My 16' Honda and my 15' Taco have CD players, use them all the time. My 93' Mazda has a cassette deck, that I don't use.

Bat out of hell is a great road CD.

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 7
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top