Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 9/25/2022 9:50:25 AM EDT
Fuck.

I usually have a hard start date of Oct 1st for getting the coal stove going.

The weather is looking damp all week though and everyone in the house will be miserable if I don't get her fired up.

Looks like I'm doing fall service and the first firing of the year today.
Link Posted: 9/25/2022 9:53:19 AM EDT
[#1]
I too have been recruited against my will to bring warmth to my home.
Link Posted: 9/25/2022 9:56:32 AM EDT
[#2]
I'm still playing the "open the windows at night to keep the AC from coming on as long as possible during the day" game in my place.

Going to be mid 80's here today but it got into the 40's last night.
Link Posted: 9/25/2022 9:59:03 AM EDT
[#3]

Going to suck this year. Pellets went up. Scared to call the propane company to top off the tank…

Link Posted: 9/25/2022 9:59:09 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Fuck.

The weather is looking damp all week though and everyone in the house will be miserable if I don't get her fired up.

View Quote

I, too, like to hold out for at least October before firing up the wood boiler. But I think I'll get it all set up today and clean my chimney, since the upcoming week is looking chilly and wet, too.

On a good note, I usually don't start cutting wood seriously until October, but this year I'm ahead of the ball and my shed is almost full today, and should be packed full by Tuesday. So even if I burn early, the wood cuttings done, too, so I can sit back and just enjoy fall
Link Posted: 9/25/2022 10:01:08 AM EDT
[#5]
I used to do that

Just pretend you are making sure everything is working ok
Link Posted: 9/25/2022 10:01:39 AM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Going to suck this year. Pellets went up. Scared to call the propane company to top off the tank…

View Quote

Coal is up too. I think I was into the whole season last year for about $1600, looks like it's going to be about $2400 this year.

I feel bad for people on oil, it's gonna suck this year.

I'm really thinking about pouring a pad and making a bunker, and sending a driver right down to one of the mines to get a full load, that would last me several years and save some money up front.
Link Posted: 9/25/2022 10:03:42 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Going to suck this year. Pellets went up. Scared to call the propane company to top off the tank

View Quote
I just picked up two tons of pellets last week. Two for the price of three. It was almost as much money to get two tons as I paid for three tons last year.
Link Posted: 9/25/2022 10:04:47 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 9/25/2022 10:05:33 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

View Quote

It just cost me 1K to fill my oil tank. 4.99 per gallon. This is going to wreck people.

We also have a wood stove, so I'm not planning on multiple refills this season. I just didn't want to leave it empty.
Link Posted: 9/25/2022 10:08:36 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
I'm still playing the "open the windows at night to keep the AC from coming on as long as possible during the day" game in my place.
View Quote

I just had to start closing my windows at night to keep the house temp from getting low enough the snakes would be unhappy.
Link Posted: 9/25/2022 10:11:02 AM EDT
[#11]
It was 98° here (arkansas) yesterday.
Link Posted: 9/25/2022 10:13:15 AM EDT
[#12]
NUT COAL THREAD!

Best wishes on getting your parlor stove up and running.
Link Posted: 9/25/2022 10:20:24 AM EDT
[#13]
I turned on one of my space heaters the other night

42 outside

Propane Guage at 35% and one ton of pellets from last year

Just need to clean the pellet stove exhaust pipe but I don't even want to know what a bag or ton of pellets is going for
Link Posted: 9/25/2022 10:22:21 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

I just had to start closing my windows at night to keep the house temp from getting low enough the snakes would be unhappy.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

@Bubbles

I could only imagine the big snake  being unhappy

Nope nope nope
Link Posted: 9/25/2022 10:25:00 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

It just cost me 1K to fill my oil tank. 4.99 per gallon. This is going to wreck people.

We also have a wood stove, so I'm not planning on multiple refills this season. I just didn't want to leave it empty.
View Quote

What was the heating oil price last year?
Link Posted: 9/25/2022 10:27:01 AM EDT
[#16]
Didn’t need to run the AC all weekend, pretty sweet.
Link Posted: 9/25/2022 10:32:05 AM EDT
[#17]
Mini Split for the win.  We installed one this summer.  
The past few days got into the 30’s at night. Had the split system set at 72 and that’s exactly where my whole house stayed all night. And that was just running it on low.  

I also burn oil in the winter, but I’m looking forward to using a hell of a lot less than we usually do now
Link Posted: 9/25/2022 10:34:09 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

View Quote

Paid 2.68 in December 2021.
1.40 in November 2020.
This is for cash on delivery prices.
Link Posted: 9/25/2022 10:51:58 AM EDT
[#19]
We had out first fire friday night and I loaded her up to gonall night. Last night I built a quick one when I got home just to bump the temp up a bit.

Link Posted: 9/25/2022 10:53:12 AM EDT
[#20]
Our natural gas provider has a program to lock in the rate.   Every year it has been beneficial except in 2008 when oil prices peaked in June then plummeted.   They lock in the rate based on June July.   So by the time we were supposed to sign up in August you could see that prices were crashing so I didn't lock in.   Last year the base rate per therm was $0.53.   The lock in rate this year is $0.87 and the standard rate for August was $0.94.   I am assuming its going to be $1.00 plus all winter.
Link Posted: 9/25/2022 10:54:09 AM EDT
[#21]
It’s going to be 97 degrees in Texas today. I’d love to get the chance to turn my heat on.
Link Posted: 9/25/2022 10:59:57 AM EDT
[#22]
I have to clean the chimney for my stove, I have enough wood for 3 years like usual so I'm set.
Link Posted: 9/25/2022 11:03:16 AM EDT
[#23]
This is the time of the year you run a dehumidifier to both create some heat and to pull excessive humidity from the air which is what is causing people to be chilled.
Link Posted: 9/25/2022 11:10:08 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
This is the time of the year you run a dehumidifier to both create some heat and to pull excessive humidity from the air which is what is causing people to be chilled.
View Quote

Bingo.
Link Posted: 9/25/2022 11:13:21 AM EDT
[#25]
i just paid 4.3 for #2. 190 gallons.. supply is still an issue, and coming into heating season, there will be a high demand low supply, increase in pricing.

id rather burn oil than propane, cheaper per BTU. current pricing, with good efficiencies, 92% oil (my boiler), 95% propane(typical propane rating), (current local pricing) $3.95 #2, $4.1 propane, it is still $1700 CHEAPER per million BTU's to burn oil. so all this "i feel bad for oil people talk is bullshit" i feel bad for propane users and i really feel bad for people with old oil systems. but even someone with a 82% older boiler it is still cheaper by $1300 per million BTU.

the end of winter '22, this year, i had a new energy kinetic boiler installed which is 91.3% rated, direct vent with polypropylene pipe, non condensing.  (91.3% is NOT the combustion efficiency, but it is the rating of the boiler itself, how effective it transfers heat to the water, minimal heat loss even at standby etc) alot of boilers are 85-88% if installed WITH proper controls and etc. older boilers that have not been cleaned or serviced, leaking, heat exchangers rotting away and etc, your talking mid to low 70% efficiencies. using a 72% efficiency, it is still $800 cheaper per million BTU compared to a 95% propane system.

according to coalpail calculator........

also, it is $600 cheaper per million BTU for pellets at $320 per ton compared to oil at 91%.
wood at $300 per cord is $1400 cheaper than oil per million BTU (using a 78% jotul stove) but dont forget the time, saws and their maintenance, fuel, splitters etc if you "get the wood for free".
Link Posted: 9/25/2022 11:16:11 AM EDT
[#26]
Two things I hate about my house; in ceiling electric heat and it's not on a lot of acreage.
Link Posted: 9/25/2022 11:18:26 AM EDT
[#27]
Nevermind. Wrong thread.
Link Posted: 9/25/2022 11:21:40 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

View Quote

Localized heating for snakes.   I have real heat producing incandescent bulbs for $5 each.
Link Posted: 9/25/2022 11:25:37 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
i just paid 4.3 for #2. 190 gallons.. supply is still an issue, and coming into heating season, there will be a high demand low supply, increase in pricing.

id rather burn oil than propane, cheaper per BTU. current pricing, with good efficiencies, 92% oil (my boiler), 95% propane(typical propane rating), (current local pricing) $3.95 #2, $4.1 propane, it is still $1700 CHEAPER per million BTU's to burn oil. so all this "i feel bad for oil people talk is bullshit" i feel bad for propane users and i really feel bad for people with old oil systems. but even someone with a 82% older boiler it is still cheaper by $1300 per million BTU.

the end of winter '22, this year, i had a new energy kinetic boiler installed which is 91.3% rated, direct vent with polypropylene pipe, non condensing.  (91.3% is NOT the combustion efficiency, but it is the rating of the boiler itself, how effective it transfers heat to the water, minimal heat loss even at standby etc) alot of boilers are 85-88% if installed WITH proper controls and etc. older boilers that have not been cleaned or serviced, leaking, heat exchangers rotting away and etc, your talking mid to low 70% efficiencies. using a 72% efficiency, it is still $800 cheaper per million BTU compared to a 95% propane system.

according to coalpail calculator........

also, it is $600 cheaper per million BTU for pellets at $320 per ton compared to oil at 91%.
wood at $300 per cord is $1400 cheaper than oil per million BTU (using a 78% jotul stove) but dont forget the time, saws and their maintenance, fuel, splitters etc if you "get the wood for free".
View Quote

Finally someone who is reasonable.  I'm not worried about my oil use it's so minimal for my house.  I use the wood because I enjoy it and it's simple.
Link Posted: 9/25/2022 11:34:47 AM EDT
[#30]
Did the first small burn of the year in the wood stove this morning.  Going to start bringing more wood inside.

According to the weather, it looks like I won't want the stove again until Thursday.
Link Posted: 9/25/2022 11:50:00 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

Finally someone who is reasonable.  I'm not worried about my oil use it's so minimal for my house.  I use the wood because I enjoy it and it's simple.
View Quote

I don't understand why anyone would use anything but wood if it's a viable option.
We bought a place this year without a stove and I'm in the process of installing one.
Have electric heat for a backup and to keep the place from freezing when we aren't home for extended periods.

Is it laziness that keeps people from using it?

I don't know... Wakeborder seems to think wood heat make's you a citiot though (and I'm going to keep calling him on it until he takes the claim back or explains himself).
Link Posted: 9/25/2022 11:50:28 AM EDT
[#32]
i also want to note:

having a efficient home is the key for cheap heating costs. alot of people will upgrade their system for energy savings, if they needed a replacement because their system failed, thats different... but people will get more bang for their buck by upgrading their home for lower heat loss while keeping their "older" system. instead of buying this new woodstove or system because its more efficient, how about you spend the money and put insulation between your basement and first floor, insulate your attic, and seal up any drafty spots, thats a GREAT first start and will yield BETTER results regarding efficiency.
Link Posted: 9/25/2022 11:54:19 AM EDT
[#33]
My electric bill doubled this summer. No big deal, single guy, fairly well insulated home with newer 16 seer hvac and energy star rated windows that have been in since 2012.

Normally I run around $60 a month in the summer, this year $120 a month. I know folks who got hit with $500 and $600 a month bills that normally were half that.

I fully expect my nat gas heating bill to double as well.

Not a damn thing I can do to stop it either.

Link Posted: 9/25/2022 12:01:09 PM EDT
[#34]
I’m too tired breaking big coal into smaller pieces for profit.
Link Posted: 9/25/2022 12:08:49 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

I don't understand why anyone would use anything but wood if it's a viable option.
We bought a place this year without a stove and I'm in the process of installing one.
Have electric heat for a backup and to keep the place from freezing when we aren't home for extended periods.

I don't know... Wakeborder seems to think wood heat make's you a citiot though (and I'm going to keep calling him on it until he takes the claim back or explains himself).
View Quote

its not the laziness factor, its the overall outlook on time spent, money spent on saws, trailers, damaging your truck, fuel, bar oil, splitters, getting a tractor to haul your wood out of the woods, maintenance on equipment..add it up, including fuel filters to hydraulic oil. time isnt free, cut, load, split, stack, move wood inside etc.. unless you work from home, retired and need to stay busy, or you have a camp without electricity, or wood is your only secondary heat source compared to using electric or your home is very inefficient being a stone foundation/dirt floor basement, wood can be a viable cheap way to get heat, no argument when certain criteria is met. my MIL/FIL burns wood exclusively due to their home construction being inefficient, instead of recarpeting and painting, tare out the drywall and insulate, put new windows in...but whatever.  but one can work a couple hours OT and set the tstat, instead of fucking their back, neck, shoulders and knees up... especially if someone has back pain/disc issues and if they split a cord of wood then have to take a week off of work because they are injured/sore and cant move...how does that make financial sense? dr bills should be figured in as well.  buying wood is the worst. if you can harvest it or get it for free, it can be somewhat justified.
Link Posted: 9/25/2022 12:20:04 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

its not the laziness factor, its the overall outlook on time spent, money spent on saws, trailers, damaging your truck, fuel, bar oil, splitters, getting a tractor to haul your wood out of the woods, maintenance on equipment..add it up, including fuel filters to hydraulic oil. time isnt free, cut, load, split, stack, move wood inside etc.. unless you work from home, retired and need to stay busy, or you have a camp without electricity, or wood is your only secondary heat source compared to using electric or your home is very inefficient being a stone foundation/dirt floor basement, wood can be a viable cheap way to get heat, no argument when certain criteria is met. my MIL/FIL burns wood exclusively due to their home construction being inefficient, instead of recarpeting and painting, tare out the drywall and insulate, put new windows in...but whatever.  but one can work a couple hours OT and set the tstat, instead of fucking their back, neck, shoulders and knees up... especially if someone has back pain/disc issues and if they split a cord of wood then have to take a week off of work because they are injured/sore and cant move...how does that make financial sense? dr bills should be figured in as well.  buying wood is the worst. if you can harvest it or get it for free, it can be somewhat justified.
View Quote

A cord of split wood is like $200 delivered here. The laziness comment was assuming people didn't want to bring handfuls of wood inside and spend the time lighting/filling the stove.

Beyond that, I gather my own wood and split it by hand. I don't see it as breaking my body as much as it's another form of exercise. It's doubly good at this new place though as I'm cleaning out the standing deadwood and clearing/thinning out other areas.
Link Posted: 9/25/2022 12:20:06 PM EDT
[#37]
October 1st?

Attachment Attached File

Damn, that's waaayyyyy too early to fire up the stove. When I heated with coal I'd start it the last week of October. I heat with pellets now; not by choice as I miss coal but the wife wanted a pellet stove, I wait until the first or second week of November before I fire it up. I haven't even cleaned my pellet stove from last season yet.
Link Posted: 9/25/2022 12:32:37 PM EDT
[#38]
I think my royalty checks are well in excess of my gas bills at this point. I turned the furnace on the other morning when it hit 64 inside the house

But, I should probably buy some bags of nut coal now before I get my parlor stove installed
Link Posted: 9/25/2022 12:33:17 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

2.59 per gallon on my previous fill. $550 or so to fill the tank.
Link Posted: 9/25/2022 12:45:50 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
It was 98° here (arkansas) yesterday.
View Quote

It was 80 here Wednesday afternoon, same jobsite about 24 hours later was 45.
Link Posted: 9/25/2022 12:46:14 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
NUT COAL THREAD!

Best wishes on getting your parlor stove up and running.
View Quote

I have a stoker, rice coal for this guy.
Link Posted: 9/25/2022 12:47:53 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
Fuck.

View Quote

What size coal do you use?
Link Posted: 9/25/2022 12:49:37 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
Mini Split for the win.  We installed one this summer.  
The past few days got into the 30’s at night. Had the split system set at 72 and that’s exactly where my whole house stayed all night. And that was just running it on low.  

I also burn oil in the winter, but I’m looking forward to using a hell of a lot less than we usually do now
View Quote

I'm going to put one in when I do my addition. The idea being that the fans can live underneath for some protection, and I can have a split in the addition and one upstairs, to help even things out a bit.
Link Posted: 9/25/2022 12:52:41 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

We were on wood for several years, I got so sick of it. Way too much material handling, and too much space taken up outside, plus having to keep everything dry.

With coal it can get wet, snowed on, whatever, doesn't affect it a bit, and I can fit the same amount of heat in a much smaller footprint. I have my guy just back up his conveyor to my coal shed and load it up once a year.

I can also get 2-5 days out of one loading, a lot less fucking around, which is great when I'm working because there was days where I would have to haul ass home to make sure I still had enough of a fire to work with to load it back up.
Link Posted: 9/25/2022 12:54:30 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Fuck.

22'ers can't read.
Link Posted: 9/25/2022 1:00:25 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

Going to be mid 80's here today but it got into the 40's last night.
View Quote

I know right?
Link Posted: 9/25/2022 1:10:05 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

A cord of split wood is like $200 delivered here.
View Quote

I just asked a local place out of curiosity: $275 delivered

Kiln dried hardwood scraps are about $10/truckload at the Amish woodmills up north in the Allegheny National Forest area though, and the local parks here let you harvest deadfall and whatever they chop down for some $10 permit.

I can see a lot more folks using wood this winter...I still need a new chainsaw. I've got a dead maple about 24" wide at the base and a bunch of standing dead shit... at least a few full cords worth on my property without even going more than a few feet into the treeline. I've been burning 5 foot logs outside just to get rid of it. I suppose I should chop and stack some. It's just a pain in the ass lol.
Link Posted: 9/25/2022 1:36:30 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
October 1st?

Damn, that's waaayyyyy too early to fire up the stove. When I heated with coal I'd start it the last week of October. I heat with pellets now; not by choice as I miss coal but the wife wanted a pellet stove, I wait until the first or second week of November before I fire it up. I haven't even cleaned my pellet stove from last season yet.
View Quote

Attachment Attached File

A southerner's opinion on heating is worthless.
Link Posted: 9/25/2022 1:44:30 PM EDT
[#49]
I didn't even know you could even buy residential coal anymore. I'd have no idea who would even carry such a thing
Link Posted: 9/25/2022 1:46:45 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
I didn't even know you could even buy residential coal anymore. I'd have no idea who would even carry such a thing
View Quote

My folks in MA still heat with coal on occasion.

It's available in the six New England states and probably the whole north east.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top